Frozen cables on snowblower

mike rousseau

One of the cables is freezing on my snowblower....

Just wondering if anyone knows of a lubricant that I can get at like Canadian tire or napa etc...( not online) that is good in low temps...

I tried jiggalube and it made it worse....

Also is there any special technique to get it to penetrate the cable other then pumping the cable back and forth for a long time....?

Thanks

Mike

WD 40 is your best bet,but this will probably continue to happen. I had to change a cable 3 years ago because of that. If memory serves me right,their not to expensive either.

I was thinking of doing that too... Cause 1 or 2 other cables got chewed by mice....

Maybe replace em all

WD 40 is your best bet,but this will probably continue to happen. I had to change a cable 3 years ago because of that. If memory serves me right,their not to expensive either.

Probably because you used WD-40.. it is not a lubricant no matter what they say, it's a cleaner. Some light lubricant on the cable at each end and work back and forth. CTC multipurpose lube works well for lots of things Product #38-1525-8 .. I keep guys airplane control surfaces working well with same!

Edited by irishfield

Also is there any special technique to get it to penetrate the cable other then pumping the cable back and forth for a long time....?

use a cable luber for direct injection of lube and then pump it a few times to work it in. good lube penetrates and creeps to lube the entire length of cable.

Probably because you used WD-40.. it is not a lubricant no matter what they say, it's a cleaner. Some light lubricant on the cable at each end and work back and forth. CTC multipurpose lube works well for lots of things Product #38-1525-8 .. I keep guys airplane control surfaces working well with same!

Wayne, you are wealth of information? Thanks for the tip. Glad to have you around keeping us safe and sound. Now I have tap CTC if he listens lol.

Wayne, you are wealth of information? Thanks for the tip. Glad to have you around keeping us safe and sound. Now I have tap CTC if he listens lol.

Sinker's idea of Penetrant is a good one as well! If it's really bad work some Liquid Wrench in there and once you get it moving clean up the ends and then hit it with some of what I suggested. In some applications I like to get some multi lube in.. and then coat the outside with something a little heavier like extreme pressure grease to seal the lube in and keep the elements out.

If they're just wet and frozen they will clear up easily with a bit of heat from a propane torch. If corroded, use the penetrating oil. Last thing I do when I put mine away is lube the cables. Had that problem on every type of equipment you can think of!

S.

anyone ever try "Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Prevention"? It works very well and it's under $10 at Wallymart

Absolutely lovely product on Aluminum... I use it between my telescopic tubes on my canoe loader! Keeps them lubed and stops the aluminum from galling on each other and seizing. If you're allergic to wool... be careful where you spray the stuff! :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Try using Rust Check in the red spray can NOT the green can as it is thicker. Spray it right into the cable casing. It will displace the water and stay inside the casing. You don't have to worry about it catching fire near a hot engine as it has a very high flash point.

Houdini, although most people have never heard of it. We use it in padlocks at work, displaces water, thaws ice, lubricant, all of the good stuff. Try to get the machine into a warm dry place, undo one end of the cable and let it hang low to drain any moisture, then shoot in whatever lube from the top. Cover your snow blower if it's stored outside. http://www.amazon.com/HOUD1-Houdini-Lock-Lube/dp/B00C5JFKKE

Edited by Fisherman