New to Ice Fishing

Hows it going guys. The last couple of years I have been renting a fishing hut on Lake Simcoe. This year I decided to spend some money ($700) and grab all the stuff I needed without renting a hut. I would just like to know if anyone has any tips for me for catching perch, pike, or even whitefish. I never caught a whitefish. Thanks

First off.. Welcome aboard!

Simcoe is easy to figure out for perch and whitefish. Just follow the crowds.

Perch stay shallow (20 to 40'). Lefroy is a good place to start. Use little jigs tipped with a minnow, and stinker hook with a minnow tail or head. Perch eyes also work great.

The white fish are generally deeper (50 to 100'). If you have a fish finder, then your off to a great start. Drill a hole, if you don't mark a school of whitefish in the first 20 minutes or so, MOVE... Use a Williams 1/2 n 1/2 ice jig, or any other fancy jig/spoon of your choice. Bounce it off bottom to kick up a cloud. Every now and then, bring it up 10 or 20 feet then back down again.

If you see fish on the screen and they are not biting, try slowly moving the lure up and away from the fish. The aggressive fish will follow it up (you can see it on your fish finder). Sometimes that works very well at getting them to strike.

I've never iced a Simcoe Pike.. So I'm not the guy for that.

Welcome to the best fishing board I know of. NAW has some very good advice. Some equipment you're going to need

Ice auger - 6" is big enough for perch

ice scoop to clean out your hole

Minnow pail & minnows

Dip net for the minnows unless U like cold hands

28" - 32" jigging rod, mounted with a small spinning reel

spool said reel with 4 lb ice line

a variety of small jigs & small jigging spoons

a few small split shot sinkers

don't forget a pail to put all your fishin!! (you're allowed to keep 50 perch)

If we continue to have more winter like last year...and so far this year...we will all have to relearn how to ice fish..... :wallbash:

MOTHER NATURE...please bring us Cold Weather WITHOUT snow...you know that's a four letter word....MOD'S why isn't "SNOW" filter out on this board... :whistling:

I am writing this as a HUGE WINTER STORM bears down on us....the NWS has named it "DRACO"....first time I noticed a winter storm with a name... :wallbash:

OH! This is easy!!!

You NEED: A clam 7-10 man hut, a quad or sled, a gas auger, 20-30 ice combos spooled with expensive flouro and ice braid, tear drop jigs, swedish pimples, kastmasters, williams wobblers, 500 varieties of tiny gulp baits, live minnows, worms, waxies, mousies AND maggots, a Vex- not just any Vex, the most expensive one.. and to be fair to everyone else, a good ice sonar and underwater camera, just in case.

OH! This is easy!!!

You NEED: A clam 7-10 man hut, a quad or sled, a gas auger, 20-30 ice combos spooled with expensive flouro and ice braid, tear drop jigs, swedish pimples, kastmasters, williams wobblers, 500 varieties of tiny gulp baits, live minnows, worms, waxies, mousies AND maggots, a Vex- not just any Vex, the most expensive one.. and to be fair to everyone else, a good ice sonar and underwater camera, just in case.

Don't forget a high end floater suite, custom made spud pole, electric fillet knife for the perch, GPS, Heater for the hut, Baffin winter boots, etc...

Thanks a lot guys. I cant believe the amount of info you gave me. I have mostly everything that you mentioned except the 20-30 rod and reel combos. I will work on that one. Got a nice deal on a tent a few weeks ago. The fishing store had it on sale for $150, but it was regularly priced at $300. I brought it home and two rods where busted. Actually one was busted and I busted the other one. The leason learned was take your time cause those rods are fragile. I returned the tent and they exchanged it for a new one that wasnt broke lol. I guess they had the price so low was cause they knew it was broke. Thanks again

OH! This is easy!!!

You really got a problem with anyone that does enjoy spending money on fishing eh. Seems pretty pathetic that you have to try and make negative remarks towards anyone that spends mo're money on fishing.

Lighten up. It's fishing who cares what someone spends.

OH! This is easy!!!

See that's exactly what I told my wife to :whistling:

Start of with the basics and add as you go.

Hope for good ice :) stay safe and have fun.

You really got a problem with anyone that does enjoy spending money on fishing eh. Seems pretty pathetic that you have to try and make negative remarks towards anyone that spends mo're money on fishing.

Lighten up. It's fishing who cares what someone spends.

I made a joke. Others got it. You lighten up. He replied and said he ACTUALLY had all that stuff. So I steered him right, intentional or not.

I'm up there allot too once the big lake freezes. Don't care much for perch. But they will eat anything. Whites, I like a spreader on the bottom nicely balanced on a tip up. And I usually have a Williams or lipless crank down the other hole. I like 60-85 feet for steady action on the whites. Sometimes deeper but usually no need that's where the greasers hang out anyways lol.

Edited by Freshtrax

You are more than welcome to hit simcoe with me .

Bring yor stuff and we will start in cooks bay and move out to the big water

Feel free to pm me...

Thanks. If my girl or my brother isnt able to go I will let you know.

Well you've gotten some good tips here but if I can add just one more and, to my way of thinking, probably the most important tip a newcomer to ice fishing should have. For the first few or even several outings, go out there with someone who has experience out on the ice...specifically on the body of water you're going to. I'm sure some others will chime in on this. Good luck to you and enjoy yourself.

Well you've gotten some good tips here but if I can add just one more and, to my way of thinking, probably the most important tip a newcomer to ice fishing should have. For the first few or even several outings, go out there with someone who has experience out on the ice...specifically on the body of water you're going to. I'm sure some others will chime in on this. Good luck to you and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the advice. My brother is a seasoned ice fisherman so he knows how to stay save. And when I bring my girl the plan is to stay close to everyone else. I would love to explore new areas and even new lakes, but not yet. Should I bring a rope just in case?