Best winter fishing GTA

ehg

Sure liked going fishing. Once the winter came it was slim pickings.

Bay of Quinte wasn't bad for walleye through ice. The walk on ice to spot wasn't far but didn't enjoy the drive down there

There was a place within half hour of downtown T.O. The softwater fishing was good.

Decided to do this post with some trepidation. Element of danger was high.

Since going out on Lake Ontario in 12 ft. tinny was necessary everything had to checkout.

The wind and weather was scrutinized.

The wind had to be from north and light. Any other direction and the excursion would be cancelled. Northeast, east, southeast, south,southwest and west would all be deadly. Lowered tinny down small shoreline cliff to shorten distance to destination to few hundred meters. Lifejackets or floatsuits were worn when in motion but usually removed in pictures for casting freedom.

Some winters might have been able to get out once or twice.

Some winters a dozen times,depending on weathher conditions.

Started doing this in mid-90's before digital cameras so some nice fish pictures aren't available. Did catch mostly brown trout, white bass, smallmouth bass, rainbows but even caught chinooks, carp, walleye, sheepshead, and rare pike.

Only two types of lures were used, Rattlin Raps and jointed shad raps.

Would only go pre-dawn by 9 am fish would stop hitting.

Since i am now disabled this fishing is out for me but it is nice to remember through pics what was the best until a couple of winters ago.

My buddy Dave was talking about how great this was other day so i did this post.

Caught tons of these brown trout...

IMG_0007-9.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

It was cold...

IMG_0004-22.jpg

IMG_0006-6.jpg

IMG_0005-10.jpg

IMG_0007-10.jpg

F1000002.jpg

Even caught walleye out there...

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

IMG_0019-1-1.jpg

Tons of biggest white bass in world, my favourite...

IMG_0012-4.jpg

IMG_0004-3.jpg

IMG_0011-7.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

Even carp hit lures ...

IMG_0005-14.jpg

IMG_0007-12.jpg

Picture-2.jpg

Lots of freshwater drum (sheepshead)...didn't want pics really.

IMG_0668.jpg

Caught these the most... out of season at time.

IMG_0010-8.jpg

Sign behind me me sums this place up.

IMG_0009_edited.jpg

Some other species were caught there rainbows, shad, nothing remarkable.

Anyways, thought i would post some pics from past,

Seems not much fishing going on these days.

Cheers, ehg

I always enjoyed your winter fishing tales Eric and it's a shame you can't get out there anymore, but you've sure got alot of good time memories.

I remember one big chunky pike you got out there a few years back but you didn't put the picture up this time.

I always enjoyed your winter fishing tales Eric and it's a shame you can't get out there anymore, but you've sure got alot of good time memories.

I remember one big chunky pike you got out there a few years back but you didn't put the picture up this time.

Thanks Lew, i was doing little reports from there back on all the different versions of board going back almost a decade ago.

Too many pictures to sort through and post so tried to keep it short. Despite the danger, thoroughly enjoyed getting out on the water.

Eric those were the days I miss fishing that place did it way back from about 1983 right up till when the Gagnons sports murders in Oshawa in 94 I was shore fishing the outflow the day they found ken Thomas body down there off the walking trail !!!! It was closed just shortly after that permanently !!! I thing you and I met out there in our boats one day !!!! We had days like you a lot 10 browns a day and silver bass some days we would catch 100 of them !!!! Walleyes were always a hot bite in febuary browns in November and December ya back before digital cameras and phones I hae old pics too it was nice to fish open water all winter and catch lots of fish every time !!!!! Ahhhh the memories !!! Thanks for sharing eric

Eric those were the days I miss fishing that place did it way back from about 1983 right up till when the Gagnons sports murders in Oshawa in 94 I was shore fishing the outflow the day they found ken Thomas body down there off the walking trail !!!! It was closed just shortly after that permanently !!! I thing you and I met out there in our boats one day !!!! We had days like you a lot 10 browns a day and silver bass some days we would catch 100 of them !!!! Walleyes were always a hot bite in febuary browns in November and December ya back before digital cameras and phones I hae old pics too it was nice to fish open water all winter and catch lots of fish every time !!!!! Ahhhh the memories !!! Thanks for sharing eric

I went there and fished on shore in 80's as well but once they closed access due to murder the fishing from boat was way better.

Only a few boats made for more space.

The amazing thing was the incredible fishing/catching within half hour of downtown Toronto. Great for the hardcore fishermen.

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this. I've been trying to get out for the last few weeks on my days off but the weather hasn't cooperated.

Some amazing memories you've accumulated there for sure.

Edited by JoshS

Solid post Eric. Certainly some great memories for you, and thanks for sharing a little with us. Some of those browns and white bass are just incredible dood.

I checked white bass records at time and these fish were close. The browns were abundant.

All species there had possibility of hitting record size.

I really enjoy a white-bass meal! It sure looks cold out there... But a GREAT post for sure!

Never kept or ate a thing from there.

Did keep and eat walleye from Quinte. These fish probably had same consumption value.

I remember you posting outings like that...loved them!!! Infact I still talk about the white bass you would catch, they were huge! Not to mind the variety of other fish you would catch! Good times to remember. Thanks for sharing again and very sorry that it is no longer possible for you to do outings like that anymore.

Thanks EHG. Used to always look forward to your winter fishing reports. Like watching a fishing adventure show lol

Excellent recount of better days Erik. thumbsup_anim.gif

Always enjoyed your big water winter posts and I truly hope we'll see some more in time even if they are less adventurous.

Thanx for posting Eric, never fished there, but always wanted to, i do remember your posts and enjoyed every one of them.

I remember you posting outings like that...loved them!!! Infact I still talk about the white bass you would catch, they were huge! Not to mind the variety of other fish you would catch!

Thanks for such positive replies! I am pleased that the past posts were well received.

Really helped break the winternet doldrums.

The best fishing ever half hour from Toronto!

Awesome EHG. Can't say enough about that place. I did basically the exact same thing as you (tinny, down the bank, watching the weather, etc. - actually, even focused on the jointed shads as well!).

I often found myself questioning my sanity out there - but then I'd hook into something huge and it all made sense.

Here are a few pics. I'm leaving out my infamous "Atlantic" salmon from a few years back to ensure that debate does not rear its head again - HA!

Thanks for sharing memories from a great fishing hole in the GTA.

Cheers,

MoB

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp4.JPG