What you need to catch..

Rich

What you're TOLD by an army of armchair experts vs what you need:

Steelhead

Told: you need, 2 different noodle rods, the higher priced the better. 2lb flouro line. A billion tiny split shots. A billion tiny hooks. 9 dollar floats. A $300+ centerpin with an average 5 year learning curve. A purse full of fresh eggs, which have to be taken and frozen very specifically or they are garbage.

What you actually need: a fishing rod, hooks, sinkers, roe or live worms for bait.

Bass

Told: $30,000 + bass boat. Truck to match. Minimum 5 rods, more expensive the better. Thousands of dollars in lures. Livewell, net, push pole, power pole, electric motor. 80lb braided line.

Need: fishing rod, hooks, sinkers, bobbers, minnows or worms - or plastic variations.

Ice fishing

Told: clam flipover hut, sled or quad, truck to get it there. An insane variation of colored jigheads and spoons. Live minnows, waxies, maggots and mousies. A power auger. Deadbait, tip ups, flasher, lcd and underwater camera.

Need: spool of line, hook, bait, auger or spud.

Its all your preference how you do it. Thats the fun of fishing.

I tend to agree - I'm a tackle junkie but I may be on the path to reform

Took my 50 lb tackle bag on our trip to Brennan Harbour this year

Needed a small tray with bottom bouncers, worm harnesses, plastic worms, 3 rapalas and 1 square billed crank - that accounted for 99% of the fish and would have saved my back and freed up space in the boat

Ive only ever ice fished for perch but all I have ever used is a buckshot spoon and a minnow head with any success

Steelhead

Told: you need, 2 different noodle rods, the higher priced the better. 2lb flouro line. A billion tiny split shots. A billion tiny hooks. 9 dollar floats. A $300+ centerpin with an average 5 year learning curve. A purse full of fresh eggs, which have to be taken and frozen very specifically or they are garbage.

What you actually need: a fishing rod, hooks, sinkers, roe or live worms for bait.

Bass

Told: $30,000 + bass boat. Truck to match. Minimum 5 rods, more expensive the better. Thousands of dollars in lures. Livewell, net, push pole, power pole, electric motor. 80lb braided line.

Need: fishing rod, hooks, sinkers, bobbers, minnows or worms - or plastic variations.

Ice fishing

Told: clam flipover hut, sled or quad, truck to get it there. An insane variation of colored jigheads and spoons. Live minnows, waxies, maggots and mousies. A power auger. Deadbait, tip ups, flasher, lcd and underwater camera.

Seemed the best 'bow fishing for me was back in the 80's when they had cheap spinning gear. Fresh roe helped.

Best bass fishing was from cheap tinny where i wasn't scared to go into shallow, rocky areas.

Getting out fishing was way better than sitting at computer wishing i was fishing.

"army of armchair experts" is interesting terminology...lol

you can make anything as simple or as complicated as you like...competitive sports for example, carbon sticks, custom skates, advanced nutrition and training, etc, etc...or just a frozen pond, wooden stick, skates and a puck (frozen toes of course)

you get to a certain point or skill level and then you can truly appreciate high end gear IMO...is it needed? no, of course not...does it make you better? sometimes

put me head to head jiggin walleyes with a glx stick and braid vs anybody with an ugly stick and mono and I'd bet money I'd hook more 99% of the time

like you said, personal preference, as long as you're having fun...

Steelhead

Bass

Ice fishing

That's fine if you wanna catch the bare minimum available to you....

But there's a lot of gear that really does help you catch more fish....

I don't fish bass and trout but I'm sure someone with a variety of TOOLS to catch fish.... On average.... Will smoke the worm and hook fisherman...

All depends on what you want out of your day fishing.... I'm always trying to learn and get better and catch more fish on a daily basis... I do this for personal reasons... Some its money.... Some just wanna be at the top of the game in their area.... Some wanna eat more fish...

I have a $400+ dollar rod to troll walleye... Could I get by with a $20 rod...yes... But has the $400 dollar rod helped me catch more fish... YES it has... I can feel things with this rod that cheaper rods won't detect....

BBR, I went on an ice fishing trip to Nip a few years ago... it was my firt trip to Nip and I was excited as all h e l l to do it!

Myself and the other guys who came up, brought countless tackle boxes, numerous rods and you name it, cause we were gonna be ready for what ever we needed to catch fish.

I watched the guy who invited us up, use a wooden stick with 20 year old mono tied to the end, a jig and a minnow catch fish after fish, while us tackle junkies just sat there and stared.

Now I'm definately not the brightest guy on the planet, but it didn't take me long to realize that if I wanted to catch a fish, I had better copy him.

Funny, now when I go up for a weekend, I bring one rod (two if were ice fishing), one tackle tray and have at 'er!

KISS works for me!

HH

I certainly agree there's a lot of marketing out there trying to make you feel useless without the newest and best gear.

But the reason I do and will continue to spend on decent equipment is durability. I may catch the same # of fish on the first day with cheap gear, but over it's lifetime I will catch more fish with quality gear. It can cost less to buy something once than replacing it constantly.

theres a lot of baits geared towards different techniques/conditions/situations.

i tried some new techiques this year and have been successful with them, and even mastered some.

when you stick to the basics, thats all you know is the basics.

worm and bobber has its place, just not in my tackle box.

First off, i have tens of thousands invested into gear for all species.

But. When a first time ice fisherman is told his first trip, without a vex and a clam hut, he wont catch a dang thing.. he might not ever have a first trip.

Food for thought today.

Ps i catch as many trophy bass in a season from my inflatable as my dad or grandfather ever did in their $65000 bass boats, and many more species they never mastered.

What did they teach me to get me where I am? The basics.

Back in the '70s I took a tour of the Garcia fishing rod factory. Back then, they made four different series of rods. There was the entry-level Blue series, and the more expensive Green series. The Brown series rods were a notch even above that, and provided you had lots of money, you could go all-out and buy the top-of-the-line Black series. They were pretty sexy rods, I must admit.

People swore up and down that the Brown rods and Black rods were worth the considerable extra cost. They had better feel, better balance, and all sorts of other intangible benefits. But after the factory tour, I learned that in reality, they were all the same. The only thing that was different was the colour of dye used on the blank. Handles, hardware, resin and glass cloth were all otherwise absolutely identical.

On a trip to South Korea two years ago, I did a couple of other factory tours. I can tell you that not much has changed.

I always buy good quality equipment, but I am very careful to not get caught up in the marketing hype. You usually get what you pay for - but not always.