Stopped the Mega Quarry

fishingwithbob

Nothing stopping them from re-applying for a smaller quarry to get their foot in the area without as much hassle (i.e. environmental assessments, etc.).

Wait to see if they put the land back up for sale or not. That will be a key indicator of future plans, as I doubt they plan on getting into “potato farming“ like they said when they were purchasing the parcels.

Wait to see if they put the land back up for sale or not. That will be a key indicator of future plans, as I doubt they plan on getting into “potato farming“ like they said when they were purchasing the parcels.

Getting into? They ARE Ontario’s largest potato growing and packaging operation.!

The media puts Izhakoff's Ontario potato production, packing and sales at 100 million pounds but hell, we all know that that's only 50,000 tons....even less in metric eh?

Yup, right around 45.4 million killograms?

We all know how you love google Roy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/10/10/melancthon-quarry.html

sarcasm.gif

Where does stone and gravel for our houses, roads, and buildings come from? How far can it be trucked before the environmental impact from the diesel fuel and emissions from the trucks outweighs the inconvenience of having a quarry or a pit nearby? At about 60 km, the cost of trucking equals the cost of the stone....how much are you willing to pay in cash and emissions to get this material that we all use???

None of us want this in our own backyards but in all reality, a pit or quary is one of the least intrusive forms of industry that we have....unfortunately, it's an evil necessity in this country.

Edited by G.mech

We all know how you love google Roy.

Well not for that little bit of knowledge. We've been posting about this in here since 2009 or earlier. I've been a little interested in it and have been keeping up on the situation.

Where does stone and gravel for our houses, roads, and buildings come from? How far can it be trucked before the environmental impact from the diesel fuel and emissions from the trucks outweighs the inconvenience of having a quarry or a pit nearby? At about 60 km, the cost of trucking equals the cost of the stone....how much are you willing to pay in cash and emissions to get this material that we all use???

None of us want this in our own backyards but in all reality, a pit or quary is one of the least intrusive forms of industry that we have....unfortunately, it's an evil necessity in this country.

We definitely need aggregates for construction, infrastructure etc but the proposed quarry was not the way to do it espeically when the aquifer of key headwater rivers could have been severely impacted.

Thankfully responsible aggregate taking is gaining momentum so that this resource can be exploited without it coming at an unacceptable environmental cost.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/800009/momentum-continues-to-grow-for-socially-and-environmentally-responsible-aggregates-sera

Edited by wallacio

Using the existing farms they purchased to be turned into the quarry. Lets see how long they want to keep their money tied up with a green thumb.

Considering the money in farming potatos, I don't imagine they'll stop anytime soon. My wife's cousin is/was a produce grower / distributor. They've been living on a 75' "boat" in the Bahamas, 6 months of the year, for over a decade now... from profits off a property that is IMMENSELY smaller than this one in question.

They bought the land from farmers who assumed they were only going to farm it. The quarry would have been very deep so the constant pumping would have lowered the water table enough to dry up wells and possibly ruined the headwaters of the credit......this is all old news....the US investors cared little about all the negative environmental stuff.....its all about profit$$$$$

Considering the money in farming potatos, I don't imagine they'll stop anytime soon. My wife's cousin is/was a produce grower / distributor. They've been living on a 75' "boat" in the Bahamas, 6 months of the year, for over a decade now... from profits off a property that is IMMENSELY smaller than this one in question.

yup, that would suck. Maybe next year they should work a couple of extra months to be able to afford to get off the boat and onto land clapping.gifrofl2.gif

as this may have had a direct impact on my drinking water, i too am celebrating this victory.

next up, nestle taking the water and bottling it.

i agree time to put the axe to them my buddy lives down the road in aberfoyle near a tap and his water levels(and others ) have been way off since they started to really pump he thinks even the chemistry of the water is changing

on a side note no rock house condo skyscraper bridge or any other aggregate based thing is worth the destruction of a billions of year old water filter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Most people don't know this about me.. but I spent about 10 years as an environmental geology consultant that was pro quarry/industry. I managed projects and helped put in pits and quarrys up to 80 million tonnes. While weighing all the checks and balances.. everyone has to remember that these aggregate resources have to come form some where. Projects that large can do damage, but sometimes they are better than 10 smaller projects all doing damage. I think that what most people dont realize is that aggregates are like gold... decent rock/gravel just isnt everywhere. Not just any dirt can go into our nations highways, bridges and house foundations. LOL.. At least I never had to work on a new landfill.... whewwwww....

Not saying im pro quarry here.. but aggregates are like oil.. a finite resource....