Getting scary out there

SirCranksalot

wow! that is nuts (no pun intended). Who would do something like that and think it was a good idea? Reminds me of those people who used to put spike into trees so people the people cutting down the trees with chainsaws would hit them and the chain would fly off with serious results at times.

A mechanic cannot say after the fact if this was due to someone loosening the lug nuts or not.

All it takes is different torques on each lug nut and one can start to lossen off. As soon as one is loose many times the others will follow (personal experience).

That said, I would hope there aren't people around doing stuff like this!

Burt :)

I cant remember how long ago but there was a few cars that had lugnuts loosened in the simcoe county area. They were done to random vehicles in the area. Im not sure anyone was caught or if a motive was determined. It never hurts to check your vehicle because there are some whackjobs out there

Geez Terry... we could have went public.. some bugger from Kinmount didn't like us fishing their lake and loosened my lug nuts.. damn near killed us by Coboconk !! There is no way in hell that the mechanic could make that conclusion if the wheel fell off! As noted.. he was probably the original installer. One piece of crud behind the wheel at torquing and you can still get this... We limped home on the three remaining studs after gingerly tightening them up. Two out of those three broke when the GM dealer went to remove the wheel :unsure:

Jan22009icefishinge.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Quite a leap to assume that the diagnosis of this mechanic suggests murderous anti-fishing saboteurs are at work...This incident, in all likelihood, has nothing to do with fishing...

i agree, but i really wouldn't put it past some people that are trying to protect "their" spot.

who'd get charged? the guy loosening the lug nuts or the guy that caught them doing it and beat them with the tire iron they were using? :whistling:

Geez Terry... we could have went public.. some bugger from Kinmount didn't like us fishing their lake and loosened my lug nuts.. damn near killed us by Coboconk !! There is no way in hell that the mechanic could make that conclusion if the wheel fell off! As noted.. he was probably the original installer. One piece of crud behind the wheel at torquing and you can still get this... We limped home on the three remaining studs after gingerly tightening them up. Two out of those three broke when the GM dealer went to remove the wheel :unsure:

Jan22009icefishinge.jpg

ah yeah remembering the good times...lol...sure were lucky

I had a trailer wheel come off one time and it was definetly caused by someone loosening the wheel nuts. No mistaken that fact.

The culprit even confessed.

Turns out, it was one of them sort of days and I forgot to put the final torque on them.

Hahaha(laughing now, it takes about 10 yrs)

Edited by nofish4me

Wow, this is how wars start.

What a bunch of garbage. It was surely due to the Bee Gees CD jacket left on his front passenger seat. Where do people come up with this stuff?

It might be rash to jump to the conclusion that this was sabotage, but it's equally rash to jump to the opposite conclusion that it wasn't and dismiss it as 'garbage'. None of us know what happened and likely never will.

(BTW---Irish and others with Al. rims. The std recommendation is that you should check the torque on the nuts every so often---maybe 300km?. They are prone to loosening. With such a precaution I'm surprised they are allowed to be sold)

BTW---Irish and others with Al. rims. The std recommendation is that you should check the torque on the nuts every so often---maybe 300km?. They are prone to loosening. With such a precaution I'm surprised they are allowed to be sold)

Yah.. I've been around for a bit! Truck came out of the GM dealer on Friday after 4 grand in service.. this was Sunday afternoon!

Lug nuts have been an issue since the days of guys trying to run Ford rims on Dodges in the 70's.. and the oversized pilot. That is the main issue with many custom alum wheels.. the center pilot is made too large so it can be a "multi-product" fit.

Aluminum rims don't require tightening every 300k... Once you've swapped out your winter steelies, give them another tightening a few days later and you're good for the year. There's also no need to torque the living crap out of them either...

Once I swap over any rims either oem or steelies I re torque them to specs after 75 kms

I have issues with them snapping in me though. Never used impact guns only torque wrenches. This is on my 2005 Subaru legacy, three snapped on right front and one right rear. I have changed all the fronts but the rear studs are a pain. I even had a new stud snap snap on me these were all bought from the dealership