Getting scary out there

SirCranksalot

Once I swap over any rims either oem or steelies I re torque them to specs after 75 kms

I have issues with them snapping in me though. Never used impact guns only torque wrenches. This is on my 2005 Subaru legacy, three snapped on right front and one right rear. I have changed all the fronts but the rear studs are a pain. I even had a new stud snap snap on me these were all bought from the dealership

I think Bill is right on this one - might be time for a new wrench.

I've changed a whack of wheels on Subarus (1999 Impreza, 2001 WRX, 2011 Impreza, 2012 Impreza) and never run into that problem.

That was my thinking too but I have access to several torgue wrenches and they are all the same.

I should clarify though that one of the newer stud did not snap when I was tourquing it.

It just snapped after installing it, I would be at ease to see that the thread was stripped but snapping?

Funny how it is always on the passenger side fron and rear nothing on the drivers side.

I do now have an service apptt to change all the rear ones.

The parts and service managers know my status on this situation. I think IMO it could be faulty material.

Aluminum rims don't require tightening every 300k... Once you've swapped out your winter steelies, give them another tightening a few days later and you're good for the year. There's also no need to torque the living crap out of them either...

I thought these people would know their stuff:

http://www.lowenhart.co.jp/en/pdf/manual.pdf

"Driving after installation

When installing new wheels or relocating the wheels, you should retighten the lug nuts or bolts to the recommended torque after driving about 100

kilometers. Regular checkups are also required to check the lug nuts or bolts for looseness. As for the wheels with center cover or center cap, verify whether retightening is needed or not."

I thought these people would know their stuff:

http://www.lowenhart.co.jp/en/pdf/manual.pdf

"Driving after installation

When installing new wheels or relocating the wheels, you should retighten the lug nuts or bolts to the recommended torque after driving about 100

kilometers. Regular checkups are also required to check the lug nuts or bolts for looseness. As for the wheels with center cover or center cap, verify whether retightening is needed or not."

They do.. Re-tighten after 100kms or so then you should be golden. Unless I missed the part where they said to check every 300kms.

Regular checkups are also required to check the lug nuts or bolts for looseness. As for the wheels with center cover or center cap, verify whether retightening is needed or not."

They do.. Re-tighten after 100kms or so then you should be golden. Unless I missed the part where they said to check every 300kms.

Depends on what you consider a regular interval

fluids, lugs, psi...I check religiously, every week

a friend called me and said his wheel just started wobbling, told him to stay where he was and I'd be on my way....he had 1 lug left when i got there! and it looked the previous owner had painted the rim knowing/not noticing 3 lugs were already missing....since he bought the truck he had been driving around with only 2 lug nuts for about 9 months..contractor truck, heavy loads, on the highway..sketchy

picked up new studs and went to remove the last remaining nut, it sheared off like butter..he was very lucky it didn't give out on the highway...pads weren't looking much better

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

How did that ever pass a safety?

no safety inspections in BC...we just moved west and that was his first truck out, bought an 82 silverado off craigslist....it was pretty surprising to learn there is no safety inspection, only required for out of province vehicles, makes sense eh

hey jchau53, I have a 2006 Impreza and never had a problem here. 80 FT LBs and I'm golden with the OEM wheels. even with the steel wheels for the snows I do the same. I drive the car hard (just blew both head gaskets at 145KM on the motor) and rail turns like a gocart so maybe you got one hell of a bad batch? :unsure:

the only other thing I can think of BillM said.

Only other way you'd snap a stud off is uneven pressure when tightening

hey jchau53, I have a 2006 Impreza and never had a problem here. 80 FT LBs and I'm golden with the OEM wheels. even with the steel wheels for the snows I do the same. I drive the car hard (just blew both head gaskets at 145KM on the motor) and rail turns like a gocart so maybe you got one hell of a bad batch? :unsure:

the only other thing I can think of BillM said.

Thanks

The specs calls for 85 to 89 ft lbs of tourque maybe I will dial it down a bit.

I tighten then to 50 Ft in a star pattern then again to 85

Soon I will change to my winters and hopefully I do not here the snap (break).

I love the subies this is the only issue I have had since the car was new 2005 (125,000km).

no safety inspections in BC...we just moved west and that was his first truck out, bought an 82 silverado off craigslist....it was pretty surprising to learn there is no safety inspection, only required for out of province vehicles, makes sense eh

Wow man, that's scary.

Thanks

The specs calls for 85 to 89 ft lbs of tourque maybe I will dial it down a bit.

I tighten then to 50 Ft in a star pattern then again to 85

Soon I will change to my winters and hopefully I do not here the snap (break).

I love the subies this is the only issue I have had since the car was new 2005 (125,000km).

Any alloy wheels should not go past 80 ft LBs no matter the OEM. hence the 100KM (or so) check to see if still snug.

I to do the star but I go finger tight, then again at 50 then again at 80 in the same pattern the 1st nut went on. good luck dude with the snows. I'm thinking of doing mine this weekend.

it might be that way now, but it wasn't always that. Hahaha

Yah.. I still have two cars with lefty loosey and righty loosey on the same car! Generally they get snapped off by the first door knob without chrysler knowledge slinging an impact gun! :w00t:

Edited by irishfield