Wild turkeys on my front lawn...

d_paluch

Hey all,

so a week ago or so I heard a neighbour mention he saw a few turkeys on my/his lawn. I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him, so I kind of laughed it off and went on. Anyways, today rolls around about 2 hours ago (2pm) I open my front door to see 9 wild turkeys on my front lawn under my big tree. They must be feeding off of the small berries that the tree grows.

The thing I don't get is why all of a sudden? I've had deer/fox/snapping turtles on my lawn before, hawks eating a small bird in my backyard, but never have I even seen a wild turkey in my life let alone on my lawn.

For reference, I live @ Bronte road just south of Speers. I have heard of turkey's north of dundas/hwy5, but never this south.

Has anyone else noticed any weird animals on their front door?

IMG_20121019_132755.jpg

The thing I don't get is why all of a sudden? I've had deer/fox/snapping turtles on my lawn before, hawks eating a small bird in my backyard, but never have I even seen a wild turkey in my life let alone on my lawn.

IMG_20121019_132755.jpg

Maybe it was just TOO CROWDED ON YOUR LAWN until now... :whistling:

But since you mentioned "weird" animals on the lawn......here are just a couple I have gotten on film......

1uglyduck.jpg

veldkampi.jpg

BTW......they taste like.... :asshat: :asshat: :asshat:

Seen several in and around Bronte from the lake right up through the qew. Had them on my lawn last year over by Dorval. Have a small ravine close by and have seen them in the brush up an down the ravine

hmm, I guess it's not that rare after all...

In my 23 years here I've never seen them, and I used to be in the ravine by my house all the time when I was a bit younger.

Lew, if you were handy with a 410, you'd never have to buy another turkey from the grocery store.... :whistling:

Jeez, in south Oakville to boot. I'm up by Dundas and Neyagawa and there used to be a bunch of deer up on the north side of Dundas once in a while but it's been a while since I've seen any. Haven't seen any wild turkeys up this way.

My sister lived on the Hamilton mountain, East 21st, and she witnessed a wild turkey on her street. Pretty crazy. I recently seen a deer by the shipping and receiving at McMaster Hospital. Was grazing perhaps 50 yards from Main St in broad daylight.

You brought back some memories and history with your post d_paluch. Back in the 70's the Rod & Club I belong to raise and released wild turkeys just north of your location. I was a junior member of the club at the time and only heard bits a pieces of what they were doing. It was just North of the QEW on the West side of Bronte rd (Hwy 25) one of the members had a home with an apple orchard, they raised the wild turkeys from eggs. I know some were released around his place and also in Bronte PP which backed on to his property. Who knows these birds on your lawn might be distant relatives. Next time I see one of the older members I'll ask him for details.

Our NYS DEC has reported that the turkey population is down because of some kind of virus, I believe....but when I get on the highway there are all kinds of TURKEYS driving to work every morning...LOL...

True about the NYS turkey population being down somewhat.

I used to live near oakville place and had a turkey that would come on my lawn every morning for about two months! Ive also seen quite a few while fishing bronte, my buddies that work at the scrap yard on bronte tell me that the turkeys will hop right on the roof/hood of a car they are working on and wont move lol Brave little things I tell ya

I live in Bradford and see them almost every day, but as soon as i get in the ground blind with a gun, they seem to go extinct :dunno:

same with deer, they know when they're safe :wallbash:

the wild turkey reintroduction in ontario was a huge success and it's hard to believe that 25 years ago there was ZERO. they figured there was 70,000 birds across ontario in 2007 and that number should be much higher now, but i couldn't find numbers.

let's just hope the elk follow suit :thumbsup_anim:

Hey all,

so a week ago or so I heard a neighbour mention he saw a few turkeys on my/his lawn. I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him, so I kind of laughed it off and went on. Anyways, today rolls around about 2 hours ago (2pm) I open my front door to see 9 wild turkeys on my front lawn under my big tree. They must be feeding off of the small berries that the tree grows.

For reference, I live @ Bronte road just south of Speers. I have heard of turkey's north of dundas/hwy5, but never this south.

IMG_20121019_132755.jpg

SHHHHHHHHHHHH! :whistling: