Lake Erie sturgeon

ch312

i hit a lake erie trib yesterday for a few hours drifting roe and hooked into something decent. it didn't take long to see what was on the other end of the line and when i realized what it was i put the pressure on to get it beached and released.

the fish was out of the water for literally 5 seconds as i got lucky and it decided to stay calm for that part. i used my rod to measure the fish (when it was in the water) then measured the rod when i got home and it worked out to 45-48". i still can't believe how strong a 4 ft fish could be. B)

sturgeon1.jpg

sturgeon2.jpg

Wow, awesome catch!

Drifting roe I imagine you had a fairly light leader. How long did it take to land that guy?

As the wise old Yoda once said "Impressive, most impressive" :good:

i was using 12 lb power pro with a 8 lb mono leader, but i think i need to grab some flouro for a leader as i still haven't connected with a bow. at first i thought i snagged a stick that i could barely move with the light line, but the fish woke up as soon as it surfaced. i'd say it took 7-8 minutes to get it into the shallows where i ran over and tailed it as soon as i could. like i said, i just wanted to get it beached as soon as possible.

Nice! Im surprised you dont hear about this a little more. I got one much smaller on an erie trib, bottom bouncing a roe bag when i was younger. And a few friends have had similar experiences, even in some very small creeks. Very cool.

I'd say it took 7-8 minutes to get it into the shallows where i ran over and tailed it as soon as i could. like i said, i just wanted to get it beached as soon as possible.

Attaboy!!! That's a big and tough fish to get in that quick actually. It was surely no worse for wear. :good:

The odd sturgeon is bound to happen into a hook now and again and nice to see ya showed this great and threatened fish from these parts some decency with a quick landing and release.

If that tug on the line didn't get your juices flowing for another eh!?!? More 11+ footers caught out in the Fraser this year than in recent years. Can you imagine?

Great fish! :clapping:

Edited by Moosebunk

What an awesome fish.

Sounds like folks are seeing them all around the Great Lakes.

It is a Lake Sturgeon one caught in Georgian Bay weighed about 165 lbs.

The max size might be over 7 feet and 200 lbs.

Great catch and photo!

Thats a wicked catch!!!! Congrats, and good on you for treating that fish with respect!

I'm lucky enough to have crazy amounts of sturgeon in my homewaters. We can sit on te deck with coffee or beers and watch them jump all evening long. I even get to bring the kids down to the rapids so we can watch them spawn, which is incredible! 7ft fish so thick there piled on each other literally at your feet. Almost looks like a shallow, shark feeding frenzie!