Whatever Happen To The Thrill Of Fighting A Fish For Sometime?

bassfighter

Things were a lot more easier back than. But we have learned a lot over the years to try and preserve are fishery if not meant for the table. A decent fish fight unless it's a" boot", should never last longer than 5 mins for fresh water fish IMO. Nothing wrong with a good min or so fight. Than to see the fish released to live another day,well that's the icing on the cake again IMO.

For me, its the thrill of finding them, figureing them out, and catching them. I know already i am strong enough and manly enough to get them in the boat, but proving i am smarter than them is what makes me happy.B)

Nothin like setttin the bar high huh......

Edited by wall i

Theres gear for every technique. I use 10# braid with 6# flouro leaders for drop shot. 10# braid on my finesse rod with flouro tip but structure decides on my leader. For flippin slop or reeds I use 50# braid.

When I am drop shotting even though I use 6# I still don't take for ever to get them in. I get them in fairly quick then back they go. Letting them fight for ever takes alot out of them and can kill them.

Wow, that was clever. :blahblah1:

Crap like that isn't needed on a fishing forum.

I never got what he said but even fish out smart me all the time... :rolleyes:

I know people that swear by light gear and others not so much. Me, I want to LAND IT and C.P.R. and be on my way to the next one. each person legally fishing can decide how they want to fish but it's up to that person to protect the fishery too.

Don't know if I understand half of bassfighter's points but will say this...

In some respects I too don't always get it. I mean, having to always rush a fish to the boat, or even have that mentality that one must do so. There's many times, species and variables that make it sensible to just get a fish in the boat quick. But, there's times too that one could easily allow lighter gear and longer play time when a fish is on the line. And yes, it is enjoyably sporting to do that when and if you want, and no it doesn't always mean a fish is going to die.

I over power/over line everything. To each their own...

My float rods are spooled with 14lb main and never less than 6.6 lead. I just finished a 9wt spey rod that I'm running 12-15lb leads on, and my bass/pike gear almost never sees a line less than 30lb.

With river fishing I personally get annoyed when someone hooks into a sizable fish, and they are afraid to put any real pressure on the fish. I mean, I know it was my choice to combat fish a certain part of a river, and i am happy to see others hook into fish, but "fighting" a average sized salmon for half an hour is ridiculous, if everyone is courteous enough to stop casting while you have a fish on, the least you can do to thank them is land the fish quickly, so they can keep casting.

Then again, this summer I was with my pops on a boat, while using a ul setup with a grub for smallies, a decent sized pike decided it was lunch time. I was using 6lb braid and flouro leader at the time and let me tell you, that was a fun fight. In a way I guess it comes down to who you are fishing with, and who the length of the fight affects. If the situation calls for it, I will do everything in my power to land a fish as quickly and efficiently as I can.

I don't get this. The OP posted a valid fishing topic with a point of view that many apparently disagree with. Why crap over the OP??? It's a legit argument regardless of whether you agree or not. Now, bring up something like the NHL lockout and it engenders many pages of discussion!

I agree 100% and it's sad when someone can't post his own personal opinions about something around here without others trying to belittle him.

I'll be totally honest, I like using 4 pound flouro on a 5'2 ugly stick for fishing. Now that being said, typically the fish I target and catch are no more then 3 pounds so its not really that bad. I have had some monster sheephead break my line and I was terrified when I was reeling in a 10 pound northern pike without a leader but for the smaller guys its a lot more fun. I'm the type of fisherman where if I go out, I like catching 1 pound smallies and watching them jump and flip. I feel like it would take away if I had 20 pound braided. Now that being said, I do have a 6'0 M rod with 15 pound braid for if I am targeting larger stuff. Its all about variety.

Use the lightest equipment for the job, always a good idea.

99% of the places I fish pretty much require braid or heavy mono though. Weedbeds, logjams, laydowns, stumps, pads and 4-6lb LMB your 6lb test wouldn't get the lure to the boat, let alone land a fish.

If I had crystal clear, obstacle free water all the time and big fish were not so common, id be tossing the ultra lights for sure.