NF - What vehicle do you use to tow your boat, trailer, etc?

Default User

A pick-up isn't a viable option for us - we're leaning towards a crossover or SUV.

Wife also prefers something brand new - that way if anything goes wrong - its MY fault and nobody else to blame

Any thoughts on the 2012 GMC Terrain?

I thought the Terrain was a 4 cylinder.

I have a 2012 Ram 5.7 quad cab with 6000 kms so I can't say a lot about reliability at this point. It handles towing with ease and probably the most comfortable truck I've been in and I've owned Suburban's, Tahoe's, a full size van and a mid size van for towing. The ride is nothing short of amazing and it has plenty of power.

Highway Ttowing fuel economy is abysmal averaging around 11-13 iMPG while highway driving without a load will get you about 18 iMPG. City driving is ranges around 12-14 iMPG.

IN MY OPINION... The Ram is the best looking truck on the market right now with the best ride. Mine is fully loaded and I really enjoy it but all I need it for is towing the boat. I'm not sure it would make for a great daily driver/commute vehicle.

WP_000181cropped.jpg

I thought the Terrain was a 4 cylinder.

Comes with either.

That's correct

It's available in 2.4L 4cyl (1,500 lb towing capacity) and a 3.0 6cyl (3,000lb capacity)

We're leaning towards the 4-banger because of its fuel efficiency. And realistically, I would only be towing a tinny or John boat anyway.

I don't get to go fishing enough to justify a nice bass boat. :(

I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 series cargo express van. I bought it used from a dealer in July of 2009 for 17k and it had 14,750 miles on it or so. I have put about 10k miles on it, I no longer drive enough to worry about fuel prices.

It pulls my 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer well, and it has 10 feet of floor space behind the seats if I need a nap.

i just got my wife a brand new Sante Fe V6 AWD. We towed the Legend (2000lbs) last week and boy it was way more powerful than my 2003 Caravan with the 3.3L engine. The fuel ecomomy is 10.6L/100km. This is the best time of year to buy a new vehicle if you plan to keep it a number of years and not worry about trade in value.

I have towed all over the U.S.A. and Canada including going over the continental divide twice......I have had Chevy, GMC and Ford trucks and SUV's, but my best by far has been this brute of a towing machine....

My 2007 Toyota Tundra......

TimsDeerNov17-2007027.jpg

This...is the only real tow vehichle out there.

Milage doesn't change with or without a trailer and you can't beat 5.7 litres for passing

We have a Hyundai Veracruz GLS. Little bigger than the Santa Fe, and has 3rd row seating, which not to many know about. Everyone we have had in it loves the ride/handling. Even the 3rd row got good reviews.

Currently towing a 18 foot aluminum. Handles no problem.

Some people have to believe for some reason that whatever truck/boat/product they purchased is the best. This reminds me of a great Mark Twain quote. "It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."

You're right - it's human nature. But in this case, the OP did ask what everyone else was using.

Just wondering what car, SUV, van or truck you folks use to haul your boat, trailer, etc.

1990 Chevy 1500 4X4 5.7L 5 Speed :)

I just replaced all brakes & lines, front left drive shaft,2 front shocks, battery and knock sensor, 4 brand new tires (GoodYear Wrangler Territories AWESOME TIRES!)

First work I've done to her in 5 years! I was going to by new this year but I just couldn't bring myself to get ride of this one,

Edited by RangerGuy

I had a full size SUV (wont name names) that I thought was a great tow vehicle as it was pretty much as big as they came. I now have a 2011 f150 Lariat Limited and I realize that my last vehicle wasnt far from a great tow vehicle. It is hard for an SUV to beat a full size pick up for towing. It also has a massive back seat for kids and dogs!

A pick-up isn't a viable option for us - we're leaning towards a crossover or SUV.

Wife also prefers something brand new - that way if anything goes wrong - its MY fault and nobody else to blame

Any thoughts on the 2012 GMC Terrain?

I would double check, in this guide it suggests trailer brakes are required over 1000lbs http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Shared_resource/pdf/2012-gmc-trailering-guide.pdf

It also weighs quite a bit for being pushed with a 3L engine.

My not try a 2012 Escape, they are clearing them out now as the new model just came out. 3.0L 4x4 is good on gas (8L/100 on the highway)but I wouldn't want to tow much over 2000lbs with it even though its rated for 3500. Depends what you want to tow now and how much down the road.

I would double check, in this guide it suggests trailer brakes are required over 1000lbs http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Shared_resource/pdf/2012-gmc-trailering-guide.pdf

It also weighs quite a bit for being pushed with a 3L engine.

My not try a 2012 Escape, they are clearing them out now as the new model just came out. 3.0L 4x4 is good on gas (8L/100 on the highway)but I wouldn't want to tow much over 2000lbs with it even though its rated for 3500. Depends what you want to tow now and how much down the road.

I towed a 3000k+ pop up camper all over the USA and thru Canada back in 2006 with my 2002 Ford Escape that had a V-6 engine.....and that included going over the continental divide twice....that's over 11,000 ft in elevation...went through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, ND, SD, MO, Arizona, etc...we did 17 states including Ontario and travelled 6,500 miles in 30 days....your cutting the Ford Escape WAY too low on what it can tow....but of course I had electric brakes on the camper.

I had a 2011 terrain 3.oL AWD . It towed my 17' nitro bass boat with no brakes, no problem, couldn't even tell it was there. The 4 cyl version is only rated for towing 1500lbs , but I suspect with AWD it may work ok and the 4cyl is rated as the best suv on fuel. It has an econo/sport button to change the tranny shift points.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new one a few days ago

394539_10152071455255105_1337403314_n.jpg

Nice one Dan . My brother just got one the same the other day but only in Red this time , he called last night when he got home from work to say that on his way home he had to stop off at the truck lettering place and wait while they took all the Ford emblems and decals off it and decaled it back up as Radio Flyer ....... no kidding , we're waiting for him to send us a picture to see what that looks like ... lol