Nipissing Walleye fishery in 'crisis': OFAH

kickingfrog

We certainly want your money!

I'm on the fence with this issue. I believe nip can handle a small commercial fishery, but the overharvesting of fish from native, non-commercial sources seems very unsustainable. Same goes for non-native poachers! I've heard lots of stories of people getting bags and bags of free walleye from their native friends. The fact that my parents can get a couple pounds of cheeks for free from a person who knows a person is very disturbing.

I'd bet it's pretty equal between NFN and anglers/guides...

I'm guessing guides on nip keep over 1000 walleye during open water season.... Plus walleye anglers that get out at least once a week keeping a few hundred a year.... Plus all the ice hut operations.... I have no clue what they would likely keep in a year... So if you do the math id imagine that the number of fish taken by guides... Tourists... Local anglers... Ice anglers... Would be pretty high... Maybe not 660,000 pounds of fish like the NFN but it woul be substantial...

I think the key is getting educated anglers to try and break the old school mentality of others of keeping everything you catch... A 3lb walleye feeds me and my wife... So any time I keep a limit of 4... We take a fish... Mom gets a fish... Dad gets a fish... Grandparents get a fish... Or I keep 1 or 2 and feed my family and that's it... Otherwise it goes in the freezer... And I prefer fresh fish...

Like others have said... Pointing fingers doesn't help anything...

Everyone should have their limits trimmed a bit... Because all sides of the fishery are to blame somewhat...

The world has changed and is still changing fast.... And it's up to all of us to take responsibility to ensure these resources are here for our kids... I know I've changed... When I was younger I kept as many fish as I legally could and would give it to friends and family... Now that I know better... I keep what I need for supper here and there... And same goes for my fishing partner for the day....

We also don't have any slot here(in Ontario waters anyways)... But I have boat rules regarding size of fish kept...

I don't know of I'm right or wrong... Just how I see things...

We went through this on a MUCH larger lake.....Lake Erie....walleye populations crashed.......so GILL NETS were outlawed all along the USA side of Lake Erie.......since then the walleye populations rebounded and now it's the BEST walleye fishery in the world..... :whistling:

GILL NETS KILL FISH.....they should be outlawed world wide.

GILL NETS KILL FISH.....they should be outlawed world wide.

Billy Bob doesn't mince words. clapping.gifclapping.gif

I agree wholeheartedly with him!

It's the exact same issue on Millie Lacs. Same fingers getting pointed at all the same parties.

In today's politically correct climate, it seems that our politicians keep the hands-off approaches by journalists, and the conservation community. And there's the modern separate-and-unequal race politics - central to the new tribal "sovereignty" - that celebrates differences instead of commonalities.

My grudge has always been that thing get turned in the commercial netters favour. Last time I checked, nylon was invented until around 1935, so how the hell did nylon gill nets become part of the treaty. Canoes that run into tugboats with modern engines are another stumbling point.

The North Bay Nugget does our tourism business no favours.... like most news media today it seems to sell papers by sensationalizing...!

I was talking to many of my peers today about this subject and all seem to be having a pretty good year catching walleyes here on Nipissing.. that is not to say we do not need to protect our walleye fishery or that it is not in some stress.. But it is not necessarily all doom and gloom.

Reading carefully there are some very well thought out replies here...

However, instead of pointing out all the problems I would like to point out solutions...

In my opinion one very practical solution would be to greatly increase our re-stocking efforts.

I use the word re-stocking as Lake Nipissing's yellow walleye are NOT natural to Nipissing but were introduced in the 1920s and 1930s through MNR stocking efforts.

I do not like gill nets... and have read articles were box-trap nets are a reliable and economic alterative.. with NO bi-catch.

However, the commercial fishing industry could not exist without consumer (mostly local?) demand.

Look up stocking efforts in New York State... http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/21666.html

There are many good arguments for stocking... If we take more fish out of the lake than can reproduce naturally then we either need to stop taking fish or we need to replace them.

Stocking makes a lot of since as the sports fishing industry contributes greatly to the local economy.

the cap't

:Gonefishing:

I would say both regs need to be reexamined. Gill nets over harvesting and killing of other species, and there's also many fisherman out there who never practice cch and release and keep whtever the regs allow.

In my opinion one very practical solution would be to greatly increase our re-stocking efforts.

the cap't

:Gonefishing:

Stocking fish is not the answer. Lake Nipissing was doing fine in the past and likely still has the ability to come back IF harvest is restricted. There are so many bad things about stocking. It only takes a little research on the net to learn about how it has screwed-up so many fisheries. If you want a great book to read which has a lot of references check out "An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World" Although it is mainly about rainbows much of the info applies beyond just them. http://www.amazon.com/An-Entirely-Synthetic-Fish-Beguiled/dp/0300140878

I have to agree.......stocking is NOT the answer......Lake Erie was not stocked......just outlawed the killer gill nets and the walleye population took off.... :thumbsup_anim:

BTW you would be stocking fish for commercial boats to net them....doesn't make a bit of sense to me.....

BUY OUT THE COMMERCIAL BOATS and then outlaw gill nets....this is how it was done in NYS....we had a 3 year Lake Erie Stamp to fish Lake Erie at the cost of $3 per stamp per year....but after 2 years they had enough to cover all costs and it was dropped and Lake Erie has been GREAT since.

Each side of this issue has their own valid points, but the one that sticks out is "the lake doesn't care who has the right, the fish don't care either". This is all to true. I was at Nipissing this summer and enjoyed the fishing. I don't target walleye (pickeral I'm Canadian hey!) and like bass. Still, when I';m out fishing I'll keep maybe two fish for a meal and the rest get released. If I catch a larger fish, it's a picture if I can get it done and not harm the fish. It doesn't matter if it's perch, pickeral, bass , pike or what, the joy is in the hunt , yes I agree with keeping some to eat, but not to excess. I saw a fisherman keep a 47", 25lb. Muskie to have stuffed. I dont' class him as a sportsman. We need to appreciate the resource and treat it with respect. That basic attitude will go farther than any legislation. This applies to everyone, if you are a commercial fisherman, you won't be for long if the resource crashes.

Bill

To use a phrase that's been popular here in the US recently, "I'm kind of an all of the above guy", meaning, everyone needs to give some if this is going to be a top tier fishery. IMHO, there is no need for fishermen to take more than they can reasonably consume. I never give fish away. Sorry, I'll take you with me if you'd like, but I won't give you fish. I never have more than 10 fillets in the freezer, I never take fish home from Nipissing, and whenever possible I release everything over the slot (although, if I ever get an >30" it's coming home). I dare say if others did the same the lake would be better for it. As for commercial fishing, there needs to be a common understanding, their livelihoods depend on having a healthy sustainable fishery, and if there is a better way, such as the traps Kevin mentioned, they should be investigated, piloted. Why not stocking walleye? I don't get why that's even debatable. Not stocking is like having a 500 acre field that's not being cultivated. Sure, I get that there is natural reproduction going on, but at least study the impact, determine the survival rate of stocked fish, and proceed accordingly. I mean if the mortality rate of stocked fish is acceptable, stock for goodness sake. Finally, as for outlaws, they should be dealt with firmly. Establish a Crimestoppers toll free hot line number to report them anonymously in return for reward. They are stealing from everyone.

All this said, I often look at walleye fishing a little differently now than 20 years ago. For me, it's like playing a round of golf. The score doesn't tell you anything without knowing the course it was shot on and the conditions it was played under. I can fairly regularly catch more than 10 walleyes/outing, sometimes as many as 50, on my home water. I can fairly easily catch an over 30" walleye on Lake Erie, but I'd much rather fish the Nip, regardless of the numbers. Last year was our worst by far, and we tried everything. That's fishing, deal with it. Now if we started stringing years like this back to back I'd have another decision to make. Unfortunately others don't share my view, and that fine, except the livelihoods of so many people are jeopardized. The Nip is like a national treasure to Ontario. It needs to be treated with the respect it deserves.

Lake Nipi-what???

Never actually heard first-hand or even really seen a Nipissing report that does the lake any favors from a positive walleye fishery stand-point.

Methinks that lake needs a total overhaul to improve, starting with the nets and regs. Just my 1-cent from what little I know of Nipissing.

I will add a few personnal observations from living on the West Arm for the last 13 years, a relatively short time perhaps but I have noticed changes. This area has seen a collapse of Whitefish and now Cisco. When I first moved here Whitefish were caught in the winter in very small mumbers, all very large ie. 7lbs+ and old. Over the past 5-6 years I have not seen or heard of any caught. Discussions with longer term residents indicated Whitefish of all sizes were plentiful 20+ years ago. Ciscos used to be everywhere and easily caught in great numbers. Even caught them incidentally in the summer. The past 3-4 years the catch has decreased to practically none. Older residences can relate the decline from years ago and it has accelerated. These are cold water fish, not netted in this vicinity and other than some limited winter activity not targetted by anglers, certainly not enough to cover the rapid decline. Coincidentally, the winter temperatures have dropped each year I have been here and precipitation ie. snow also declining to the point where it is difficult to maintain snowmobiling as a viable sport. Water temps in the summer also seem higher although I haven't kept track of this and its anecdotal. It seems that the west side of the lake is in a state of very rapid change. Just some observations.........

If there were big monsters, I would go for catch and release. I can't recall when I have ever kept a bass and I fish for them almost every weekend. I be happy enough for the same with walleye. The same goes for musky and pike. Crappie I doubt I would go fishing for if it were catch and release though. I mean lots of guys eat pike and noone cares. It tastes good, but musky its a moral no no. I imagine musky tastes like pike, but I have never tried it.

Edited by jedimaster

http://www.nugget.ca/2012/08/02/mayors-ofah-not-helping

Mayors: OFAH not helping

By DAVE DALE, The Nugget

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:29:03 EDT PM

Local municipal leaders say the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters was out of line when it called for a commercial gill net ban on Lake Nipissing.

OFAH said the walleye fishery is in “crisis” and the Ministry of Natural Resources has allowed it to happen despite data indicating walleye stocks are at their lowest point in decades.

“I was saddened by OFAH's media release,” North Bay Mayor Al McDonald said Thursday. “I believe it unfairly criticizes both the Ministry of Natural Resources and Nipissing First Nation.”

McDonald also said OFAH's decision to call the situation a crisis will hurt the area financially.

“I'm actually hearing the fishing is good this year. I honestly believe their media release will harm tourism in our area,” he said.

Nipissing First Nation started managing its native commercial with community bylaws regulating harvest quotas and methods seven years ago. It has imposed a moratorium on gill netting during the spring spawn, sanctioned members caught breaching it and funds fishery research and enforcement.

OFAH said Lake Nipissing has seen its walleye fishery virtually collapse and “the problem is not the recreational fishery. The problem is, and continues to be unregulated commercial gill netting,” said Terry Quinney, an OFAH manager.

Callander Mayor Hec Lavigne came to the defence of Nipissing First Nation, adding it's policing its fishermen more than the province is policing recreational anglers.

“I think they deserve some respect from OFAH for what they've done . . . nobody polices the other fishermen,” Lavigne said.

OFAH made its comments in a media release Tuesday based on the MNR review of walleye data between 1967 and 2011.

Estimates of walleye abundance peaked in the 1980s at about 400,000 kilograms, while estimates this past decade have declined by half.

Communities and stakeholders around Lake Nipissing dependent on the estimated $130-million in economic impact of the lake participated in a summit conference this spring.

Organized by Nipissing First Nation and hosted by Nipissing University, all types of ecological and harvest issues were discussed with presentations by officials and scientists. The MNR did not address the fishery.

A summary of the MNR review of historical data showed the human harvest target of 66,000 kg, which includes commercial and recreational efforts, is unsustainable at the current abundance estimates.

“Although there have been other ecosystem changes, such as the colonization of Lake Nipissing by double-crested cormorants and the spiny water flea, fishing has placed the walleye population in a vulnerable state,” the review states.

The MNR created an advisory committee last month to develop recommendations to address the decline of walleye.

“With the help of local anglers, stakeholders, First Nations and fisheries experts, we will develop solutions to help this socially and economically important fishery rebound,” the review states

The committee met Thursday, but participants were asked to keep discussions confidential.

“The group is very engaged,” First Nation's Dwayne Nashkawa said during the lunch break. “There are a lot of issues that have to be discussed.”

McDonald and Lavigne both said the impact of the cormorants should be taken seriously.

McDonald said the 50 nests found on islands in Lake Nipissing in the early 1990s have multiplied to more than 2,000.

And he said scientists have estimated colonies that size can eat more than 100,000 kg of fish annually, with walleye part of their diet.

“We have to look at all threats and what can be done,” said Lavigne, adding that restocking programs such as the ones in the South Shore and Nipissing First Nation should be expanded.

Lavigne said the MNR doesn't support restocking as a viable or effective option, but he said the walleye in Nipissing are the result of stocking.

The native blue walleye in Lake Nipissing were fished out more than 80 years ago and yellow walleye were introduced.

[email protected]

Who would have figured---OFAH with a self serving agenda.

Now these statements from the Mayor may shine the real light on the issues

Where Commercial catches are under the microscope and sports are open ended

Unfortunately the NFN has very little they can legally do to stop their members from breaking agreements... there are no fines attached, only social repremands... which at the end of the day mean nothing, when you are feeding a family.

And I will be the first admitt that the MNR has really dragged their heels with regard to Nipissing...

I just wish I had a better feeling in my gut as to how this lake is going make it.

HH

here's a question?

if the NFN can virtually operate without reprocussions, which they essentially can, why don't they get rid of the cormorants?

we all know the government, and public, will not stick their nose in the native's business, so why don't the local first nations take care of that "situation"?

I wouldn't trust anything Ofah has to say. This really calls for the immediate angling community of Lake Nipising to get together and deal with the issues. Hut operators, guides, lodge owners, conservation groups etc.

I also think the ofah members yearly contributions would do better with local clubs and the mnr. You're just paying for high priced salary jobs that amount to zero productivity. They might as well be part of the government.

Edited by Salmonid Stalker

Don't forget the members only hunting rights on crown land in Simcoe county

Protecting hunting and fishing heritage or members only hunting and fishing heritage

I have yet to see this posted anywhere around here. I hunt the crown lands around here,and am not a member. Kiss my :asshat: