boat explosion

grt1

the winnipeg free press just posted an article about an explosion at the Gimli docks. Evidently someone was fuelling up and when they turned the ignition on to start the motor, boom, a man and woman were transported to hospital with non life threating injuries.

I guess this is a reminder to the people with i/o units to vent before starting.

Just for a few minutes before you start them. That is after they have been sitting for a bit. If you just shut the engine down for a few minutes there is no need to put the blower on.

Thank you Grimace , been wanting to get that cleared up in my head before i get that big boat of mine out on the water .

Saw a boat go up in flames last year on Simcoe.. I guess they forgot to vent before starting... Whoops!

Years ago I saw a boat go up in flames at the gas dock in Honey Harbour.

They didn't turn off all power before fueling up and the fumes ignighted.

I saw a boat either being launched or coming back to shore in Centre Lake severel years ago, walked past the launch to go swimming. When I came back the boat was completely melted and sunk in the launch and cops were there. No idea what exactly happened but pretty freaky to see. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

Standard practise for me has always been to fuel up the boat at home , then i tow it ten miles or so on the trailer to the lake , i'v never fueled a boat up while out on the lake ... to expendsive ..... . Some of thease boats that blow up must of had a leaky fuel line on then to make matters worst i'd think .

Gas fumes + enclosed area + ignition = BOOM!

You need to program yourself to hit the blower switch, before you turn the key, EVERY TIME.

Kinda like putting on your seat belt when you drive.

Glad nobody was killed, and they were at the dock, not miles from shore!

S.

Every year we hear/see/read about a boat explosion at the dock/gas/dock.....this is the reason I will NEVER jump start a boat from my boat.....over the years I have been asked several times.....I always say "sorry but I can't for safety reasons".....and many times It's not take very well...... :rolleyes:

About 50 years ago, I was driving a boat, not long after refueling, and it blew up. Four of us escaped with very minor burns. Boat burnt to the water line and sank. We were damn lucky.

I didn't go on any boat with an enclosed engine for 2 years afterwards.....and only then because a girl I was dating was invited on a 48' boat for an after dinner cruise....that 2 hour cruise was probably one of the most agonizing times of my life.

Scary stuff.

You would think ignitions would be setup like a kill switch so its disabled until the blowers have ran for a preset period of time thus taking the human element out of the equation.

Sometimes it is necessary to get up and go to prevent a collision. I think that is why it is not a standard setup.

Scary stuff for sure.

The Oakville case, not only did they owner loose their boat, but also caused significant damage to his neighbours boat.

I wonder what kind of polution was released in to the water.

Does anyone know what the firefighters use to put fires out on the water like that? It looked like foam..

Edited by N.A.W