What's your Favorite Meal When in The Bush

I've been reading the tread What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush started by letsgofishing and and thought I'd start a similar one.

What is your favorite meal when out in the bush?

My wife and I used to do canoe in trips but that stopped when we had kids. We are now going to get back into it. I would classify us as "intermediate" in skill level but I always found our meals were very sparse. It is something I want to liven up this time around. We will be going with our 4 kids so we will be doing most of the work. We are looking for quick and easy meals that will feed a lot of people quick.

In previous years we usually went with hot oatmeal for breakfast . For lunch we often have soup and cooked up some bannock and ate it with PB & J. Supper would be similar to lunch. Snacks would usually be gorp.

I've seen a lot of great looking recipes on the internet but I am looking for some first hand recommendations.

Here's a good canoeing resource that includes a lot of recipes .

Canadian Canoe Routes

My parents dehydrate all there veggies and so on. They do plenty of two week trips and have very good meals while doing them.

If you have any questions pm. I have done a few trips but not that much. I can get you the help you need though.

Already cut up veggies and dip, already cut up fruit, power bars and STEAK!!!!

Steak yaclapping.gif Substitute the rabbit food for BEANS and bologne.clapping.gif

Of ya, marshmallows for nightime entertainment and roasting.

Like I mentioned in the other thread I'll do some extended trips and I live on oatmeal for breakfast, fish for lunch and Liptons noodle's and Sauce mixed with dried Hungarian Paprika and Garlic sausage. 1 cup of water bring to a boil mix in N&S and cut up sausage 10 minute later, on low heat, meal is ready. Don't have to sit on top of it and I eat it right out of the pan. Cleans up easy.

Real smoked bacon keeps for days, and easy to pack. Good for keeping the skillet greased. Fish every day at one meal or another.

I agree totally. Can't go wrong with bacon. Also, pancake mix which just needs water added. On canoe trips I used to bring Idahoan Hash Browns (dehydrated) which weighed nothing and were delicious. Great with the fried walleye! Can't get them any more around here but have seen them in the states.

Don't forget the bannock mix either!

I should add that eggs keep well for a couple of days burried deep in the pack to keep cool and bread is light and can be packed in a tupperware to keep from getting squished. Bring along one of those folding campstove toasters and you are all set for a breakfast of bacon and eggs and toast for the first couple of days anyways! You gotta like that.