DOWN RIGGERS

mrpike

HELLO!! I am in the market for a new down rigger . What do you think is the best one on the market at this time . I have a walker on the boat now. What are your thoughts on the best one out there at this time.

WHAT would you guys buy for salmon fishing LAKE ONTARIO.

THANKS .

ELECTRIC ONLY.

Edited by mrpike

Top of the line downriggers are probably the new traxtech but they run about $1800 Canadaian each

I have run downriggers from all the major manufactures and they all work well and all have thier glitches

Big Jon

best pullies on the market Brute ES are fantastic specialy when you put on the variable speed

Crap counters and week booms

Scotty

Best customer sevice around great motors and design New 2116 are awsome

Look like Brigs and Srtaton lawn mowers

Cannon

Best auto stop on the market buy far the best fit and finish

jumpy take some time to get used to making small depth adjustments

Walkers

JUNK

these are just my opinions I curently run Scotty's and love them

Dan

I am biased as Cannon, Humminbird, Minnkota companies are clients of mine.

My choice based on service, price and overall usability would be Scotty though.......don't tell anyone.

I have a pair of older Cannon Mag 15's and I love the auto-stop which works on conductivity, thus stopping the weight at the waterline.

I have a pair of brand new walker tournament electrics sitting on a shelf, I haven't tried them yet as I don't think they are capable of lifting a 15lb weight?

anyone know for sure?

Also, not sure about the auto-stop, if any, on the Walkers...?

Best parts availability goes to Walker or Scotty I'd say, have heard some stories of difficult parts replacement for Cannon or Big Jon.

At the end of the day, they will all do the job, find a pair that fits your budget, nothing wrong with used either ;)

Tony

I've got a pair of Big Jon electrics that date back to 82, they have the old solid, 1 piece, stainless , tip up booms. I really like the tip up for getting a hold of the ball and release. Not so crazy about the new multi sectional booms. With a punch for removing roll pins, allen wrench and a screw driver you can replace any part on them. Maybe I like that they look like a machinist made them rather than a plastic mould machine.

i have a pair of big jon tip up elctric riggers from the early 90's and they are awesome ye4s had to replace the counters and a spring once but other than that they will never rust,and they have about a million hrs on them and work flawless,they all will work size and space in your boat might be an issuse as some brands of riggers are alot bigger and if you need space to mount them that could be a something to think about !!!

everyone likes different riggers for different reasons

some suit a certain boat's layout or an anglers fishing style (ie. some guys fish very deep with heavier balls, like 15lbs or more..)

ive used them all, and my boat has Scotty Pro Packs 116's, a little bulky yes, but very fast durable and fucntional

mind you though, if you know that you never plan to fish deeper then 50 feet down, then go manuals all the way! (walker or cannon make the best manuals) Much less to worry about with manuals.

Scottys, been running them for over 10 years. The only problem I had was that the knob used to lock the boom extension in-place broke off. Called Scotty and they sent me a free replacement part. They also walked me through the steps on how to install the replacement part.