Spinner Baits

mercman

They are awesome for pike (big n small). I have had medium success for bass but that's probably because I use top waters as a search bait or bass are active. Also, think weeds, you can usually pull spinners through pretty thick weeds. I always use a 3 inch grub single or double tail for extra action and trailer hooks get added for short strikes.

lol, I caught about 30 smallies today on the black silver tandem SB, only bait I used for 3.5 hours.

I tried with a 4" Berkley minnow on it, caught about five or so, then the minnow was wrecked, so I just kept fishing without it. Adding the bait didn't hurt, but it didn't make things any better either, at least not today.

lol, I caught about 30 smallies today on the black silver tandem SB, only bait I used for 3.5 hours.

I tried with a 4" Berkley minnow on it, caught about five or so, then the minnow was wrecked, so I just kept fishing without it. Adding the bait didn't hurt, but it didn't make things any better either, at least not today.

Fantastic !!! Now i am stoked to use mine.

I found a black/chartreuse chatterbait i bought last year.Amazing what i own that i have never fished with.

Fantastic !!! Now i am stoked to use mine.

I found a black/chartreuse chatterbait i bought last year.Amazing what i own that i have never fished with.

lol, thats funny!

I guess the trailer did make a difference though, I forgot that was the biggest bass of the day that ripped the trailer off.

i love tossing spinnerbaits when i can. a few years ago me and a buddy got on some fall largemouth in a spinnerbait bite, going 60 - 100 per day. it got really expensive with terminator and strikeking baits when we would get 5-6 per bait. then we stumbled across CL Fishin (actually a member here) i now only use their Pro Willow Series baits, strongest i have fished yet and reasonably priced for a higher end spinnerbait. My favorite for pike is the Holo Chartreuse White Monster, and bass would be the Sexy Shad Silver. I like to use plated blades when the sun is out and painted when its overcast, its just always worked for me. http://www.clfishin.com/online-shop/spinnerbait/cl-pro-willow-series/

They call them spinnerbaits now,but who remembers when they were called bushwackers.Think my pop has a dozen or so unopen packs still.LOL

Aren't they all just advancements and mods of the original beetle spin of the 60's.

Not sure if this was mentioned already but carry some extra skirts. Pike chew them up and even largies can do some damage to them with their sandpaper teeth.

As for weight, depends on how I want to present. If the weeds are right to the top, I prefer 1/4. that way I can still slow roll the spinnerbait and have it ride above the weeds. willow blade helps as well for shallower presentation. For distance and depth and fast retrieve, I like the 3/8, 1/2 and heavier.

I've learnt more reading this thread than i have watchin wfn... it's awesome reading what works around here. Now you got me pumped to use some SBs this weekend for pike.... not so sure if i've seen too many wallies hit on SBs though

I've learnt more reading this thread than i have watchin wfn... it's awesome reading what works around here. Now you got me pumped to use some SBs this weekend for pike.... not so sure if i've seen too many wallies hit on SBs though

I totally agree, tons of great info here!

And for the wallies, doesn't surprise me. Most people just don't use them for wallies, plain and simple. And thats fine by me! lol

What color you plan on using for pike??? I already mentioned my two favorites, but if I'm pike fishing it's gotta be white on white, with silver willows

Aren't they all just advancements and mods of the original beetle spin of the 60's.

Beetles spins.clapping.gif Man i remember fishing with those as a kid.We would catch anything on those with a big hunk of worm on the hook.

Do they still make them?

Beetles spins.clapping.gif Man i remember fishing with those as a kid.We would catch anything on those with a big hunk of worm on the hook.

Do they still make them?

I don't know about the originals, but I use the Northland Tackle ones for walleye and other pan fish. They can work really well at times on a jig head with a grub, especially for post spawn.

Edited by manitoubass2

This is coolclapping.gif

I can remember fishing with dad.Sometimes we would not be getting hits, and he would throw me a beetle spin or a chunk of plastic worm''Try adding This to your bait'' and we would hammer them for the rest of the day.

I guess all it takes is to have the presence of mind, to try something even if it looks strange to you.

I totally agree, tons of great info here!

And for the wallies, doesn't surprise me. Most people just don't use them for wallies, plain and simple. And thats fine by me! lol

What color you plan on using for pike??? I already mentioned my two favorites, but if I'm pike fishing it's gotta be white on white, with silver willows

white all the way for pike

what colour do you use for wallies?

I'll be on canal if any of you are goin out this weekend

I love throwing spinnerbaits as much as the next guy but if you happen to be fishing in an area where Bass see a high amount of fishing pressure they might not be my first choice. I can go down to river here in town (once season opens) and catch Smallies one after another on a Senko but chucking a spinnerbait you might go an hour without so much as a sniff. Mind you that never stops me from throwing them, I love em for musky; makes for a nice easy release too with the single hook.

Well this has been a real treat. My confidence in these lure has sky rocketed. I plan on fishing them this weekend and during the week for Pike.I also plan on picking up some different colors too.

Most of what i have are lighter colors like white/white. white/chartreuse. white/orange, with gold or silver willows.

Thanks to all who contributedclapping.gif