What would you do?

RangerGuy

So I ordered a new Lund 1800 Alaskan with a 75 hp yamaha tiller late March. I just got a call from them

saying the motor is going to take 2+ months to get. This would stretch my delivery time-frame to 4 months.

Am I being un-reasonable thinking this is rediculous that it took a month to find this out and that I have to wait

4 months for a new boat / motor combo?

Being unreasonable? NO

Rediculous? YES

Might want to call the manufacturer direct. Could the dealer be having some financial issues???

Fishndevil is getting his new Yammy (see status updates). Maybe pm him??

Edited by pikeslayer

I would call a couple of other dealers and check availability and if they say they are available and in stock I would go to your dealer and threaten to cancel the order. Then see what happens. :whistling:

If they start saying they aren't available tell them you talked to some other dealers that have them in stock and watch the back peddling begin.

I love watching liars squirm. :clapping: :clapping:

I have a Yamaha part on back order for my 90hp and it won't be in until June 8th (this is from Yamaha not the dealer). Good thing my boat is still useable. I'll wait until the part is in then bring it back to them.

Does the dealership have other Yam tillers? Maybe they could loan you one (more or less hp) until yours comes in?

A friend of mine just bought an 1875 Crossover from a dealership in Sudbury and had no issues.

So I ordered a new Lund 1800 Alaskan with a 75 hp yamaha tiller late March. I just got a call from them

saying the motor is going to take 2+ months to get. This would stretch my delivery time-frame to 4 months.

Am I being un-reasonable thinking this is rediculous that it took a month to find this out and that I have to wait

The first thing I would do if I were you is change my handle, sounds like you are no longer RangerGuy. After that I would contact Yamaha to confirm what you have been told. Then I would then find out if Honda, Merc, Evinrude can do it faster and see what Yamaha is willing to do in order to keep a customer. Get the dealer to do the same. The dealer should be working on your behalf, a good dealer would have already done this.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin

Generally in circumstances like these I try to give the party the benefit of the doubt, but, in this case I find it very hard to believe they have not had a part in this. I think you need to find out what is holding this up, is it the boat or the motor, when was the boat ordered, and so on. If they can get the boat I'd give consideration to hanging another motor. Let's face it, they are all pretty good motors anymore, I'd prefer the Mercury or Honda 90 tiller myself. I'd inquire about getting a down payment refund if they can't get the boat.

im with the hang a different motor off it idea. each of the top manufacturers make a good product with similar performance and cost.

of course, if the dealership only represents one brand this could present a problem.

going to be a long wait with the weather this nice in april. id also look at just buying something else or somewhere else. which would be tough because you probably did lots of research and shopping, and have to start again..

good luck Lund Guy sorry to hear.

Thanks everybody for the input :)

Well..

I spoke to a few dealers one called yamaha for me and they could not tell him when they could get one

for him. The dealer said that he can ussually find out if the motors are on a ship coming from japan but yamaha

has no idea what the status is so I guess we'll be hanging another motor on the back.

So my issue now is not getting motor but my current dealer took a month to do this.. burning all of

my other options for rebates etc :(....

I'm going to call them and see if they will do anything to make this right. It's clear that they just

recently tried to order the yamaha instead of doing it right away. I say this because this other dealer

found out for me in under 3 hours that they were severly delayed.

Next question is does anybody have a customer service number for LUND?... I want to see about switch the order

to another dealer if they don't take care of me.

75HP is max rating for the tiller in my boat

Edited by RangerGuy

It'll take me some digging thru emails... but I'll try to find the Ontario rep for Lund (at least who was in 2007) that did some hoop jumping for me. I got the first ever 70" Motorguide wireless out of him and a few life jackets for my troubles. I'll PM you his email when I find it.

Edited by irishfield

How do companies expect to earn business with those types of timeframes? It's one thing dreaming about getting a boat, but when you've already ordered it and that is the timeframe? wow, that's harsh.

Hope you get it sorted out, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the top brands.

Yamaha has a good product, but these sorts of delays on motors and parts will start to erode that confidence in their product I would think...

Last year's earthquake and tsunami have really messed up a lot of Japanese companies.

The supply chain in turn takes a beating, with a long trickle down effect thoughout many industries.

Not too much unlike the debris now washing up on shore, on our west coast.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Yeh, good point I didn't think of that either until the other shop I was talking to mentioned it.

I will say this.. It was swayed towards the yamaha and I don't feel this is yamaha's fault I feel

it's the shop that sold me on it for not being on the ball for whatever reason.

Pm Henry Nguyen on here and as about a legend boat..They (lund) wouldnt get any of my business after pulling that crap stunt..Good luck no matter what you decide to do...

Last year's earthquake and tsunami have really messed up a lot of Japanese companies.

The supply chain in turn takes a beating, with a long trickle down effect thoughout many industries.

Not too much unlike the debris now washing up on shore, on our west coast.

HH

Sounds like it might be quicker to head out west and beachcombe

Pm Henry Nguyen on here and as about a legend boat..They (lund) wouldnt get any of my business after pulling that crap stunt..Good luck no matter what you decide to do...

Let's not get astray on this... it's not Lund screwing around as they'll only sell a complete package with a merc on it.. since 2007! It's the dealer not getting things in order to do the engine swap..

Firstly Lund has nothing to do with the availability of a yammy. Secondly IMO legend is not even in the same league as Lund

I ordered a starcraft with the new 150 merc on it in march. 2 weeks ago they called, after saying it was coming at the end of the month, to say it would be delayed because of the motor until at least July. At first they said there was nothing they could do, i asked for the showroom one, it was sold. Long story short, after a well worded e-mail I will be getting the showroom one with my upgrades (except now parts of the top are delayed until july). Makes you wonder!

I would also wait it out. I think your going to have the same problem anywhere you go. 2 mos will fly by. Your dealer is a good one. You may be disappointed now, but they will come thru for you.

Still sucks, but what can you do. I'd wait for the yammy over another brand myself.

S.