photo of the missing $350 life vests

kickingfrog

The link to the article has a photo of the life vests.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3525451

Missing life vests costly: fire rep

PFDs valued at $350

By SARA ROSS - QMI Agency

Posted 1:00am Apr 5, 2012

Replacing six specialized life-jackets, lost during the Lake Simcoe ice-floe rescue in March, cost the Barrie fire department more than $2,100.

“You expect to replace equipment through standard replacement, or just wear and tear, but to lose six all of a sudden was unexpected,” said Samantha Hoffmann, public fire and life safety officer with the city’s fire department. “It means juggling our numbers, because it wasn’t something we were planning on purchasing out of this year’s budget.”

The fluorescent orange, Salus life vests went missing March 9 when 26 anglers were rescued from the lake’s melting ice.

“We don’t know who has them, or where they went,” Hoffmann said. “We just know that we lost six and they were given to people who were on the ice.”

Firefighters responded to the rescue call for mutual aid from Oro-Medonte Township.

While awaiting the OPP helicopter, three Barrie firefighters stayed on the ice floe with anglers, securing them with the life vests and ensuring everyone was safe and calm.

In other rescue cases, Barrie firefighters would retrieve the vests at a triage site they would man near the scene.

In this case, Oro-Medonte was in charge of the triage site as anglers came in off the helicopters.

None of the township’s vests are missing.

With Barrie Fire and Emergency Services clearly written on the back of each vest, they likely aren’t at another fire department, Hoffmann said.

“We don’t believe so, because they would have known they were ours,” she said.

The vests are not your typical PFD.

“They’re made specifically for rescue purposes,” Hoffmann said. “They’ve got lots of pockets on them for different pieces of equipment, carabiners on them so we can hook things to it.”

Each vest is valued at $350.

Along with having BFES written on the vests, they list the year the vest was purchased and an identifying number.

The Barrie fire department, which has a total of 60 specialized life vests, has already replaced the missing ones.

“We always have to be (prepared for an emergency) and this type of equipment is what helps us to serve the public,” Hoffmann said. “Once the equipment is deemed to be a necessity for a rescue, as soon as it’s lost, it has to be replaced immediately.”

The city’s fire department has not made an attempt to ask the anglers to return the vests due to the amount of time it would take to identify and contact each one, Hoffmann said, adding the majority of them live in the Greater Toronto Area.

Vests should be returned to Barrie fire headquarters at 155 Dunlop St. W.

[email protected]

Edited by kickingfrog

First I heard $300 --- now they're up to $350? Doesn't matter the cost, they should have been returned on the spot. I heard on the Barrie radio station this morning that 2 out of 10 have been returned. These other guys are truly making all fishermen look bad....even if you could argue on their behalf about being on the ice that day in the first place.

Just curious....have any of these guys that were rescued popped up on the board? I know there was some great footage on here from people on the shore side of the ice....but have we heard from or does our commnuity know anyone who was rescued that day?

Is this a volunteer fire department or paid fire department.

Also the department should have equipment insurance as the vest now could be considered stolen or lost......if reported stolen it's now the police department's responsibility to recover them....maybe pictures of the vest posted at all Tim Horton's will help....

Hate to see money wasted....but in a fire department budget, $2100 is a drop in the bucket....

Maybe this article will flush them out and they will get at least half of them back.....and I would not be surprised if another department has them without knowing it.

and I would not be surprised if another department has them without knowing it.

Good point. That's quite possible. When I was a volunteer firefighter and we had a big barn or dwelling fire with numerous responders, it took a couple of weeks to get all the equipment back to its rightful firehall. And not every piece of equipment was labelled.

I know that the article says "Along with having BFES written on the vests, they list the year the vest was purchased and an identifying number." Maybe I'm naive but I'll give the anglers the benefit of the doubt and hope more vests will be returned now that it's more public and visible.

Edited by whiskywizard

Not only do they go out in unsafe conditions and put rescuers at risk, but they take the pdf's, unbelievable

EASY now.....that has not been established has it.... :dunno:

Here in the U.S.A. you're innocent until proven guilty.....I just assumed it was that way in Canada too. :)

I'd much rather be tried in Canada than the U.S.A wink.gif

Well that would be depend on what you are being tried for and what state you're being tried in.....now if your a celebrity and killed your wife or molested children you want to be tried in Kalifornia....if you were drinking and driving....Texas.....if you married your sister....Alabama....if you stole lots of money, white collar style...NY...what's Canada noted for... :dunno:

Well that would be depend on what you are being tried for and what state you're being tried in.....now if your a celebrity and killed your wife or molested children you want to be tried in Kalifornia....if you were drinking and driving....Texas.....if you married your sister....Alabama....if you stole lots of money, white collar style...NY...what's Canada noted for... :dunno:

Being open minded, unselfish and having a lot patience. Not to mention, kick butt fishermen.

Several friends who are moving water instructors wear Salus products and they have nothing but good to say about them, I believe they're a Cdn company as well. I was looking at some of their vests but settled on Stohlquist, who also make rescue vests.

These appear to be made specifically for rescue technicians, similar to North Water Rescue gear. That price is pretty accurate going from my experience with professional grade vest and in fact may be priced on the low side.

Well that would be depend on what you are being tried for and what state you're being tried in.....now if your a celebrity and killed your wife or molested children you want to be tried in Kalifornia....if you were drinking and driving....Texas.....if you married your sister....Alabama....if you stole lots of money, white collar style...NY...what's Canada noted for... dunno.gif

Clever, and very funny.

LOL.... I stand corrected

In Canada you are permitted to pound the snot out of someone provided you're wearing skates. You might take a little flack however should you be wearing a visor during the assault.

Well, I might be wrong (what the heck, I often am) but I was under the impression the modifying a life jacket in any way (including marking your name or anything else on it, even with a magic marker) made the life jacket illegal to use, it was "altered"! So does this rule not apply to fire departments?

Well, I might be wrong (what the heck, I often am) but I was under the impression the modifying a life jacket in any way (including marking your name or anything else on it, even with a magic marker) made the life jacket illegal to use, it was "altered"! So does this rule not apply to fire departments?

I don't think so Cliff.....when I was chartering I had to have my vessel #'s clearly marked on each vest as per law.

My guess would be Salus had made them to order or this is a stocked special order vest for srts etc.. Every time a manufacturer makes or mods a pfd, they're made to jump through so many hoops it's a wonder they even bother. This vest is a bit more than a rescue vest that you or I could buy at a shop.