Life changes in a blink of an eye.

GbayGiant

No offense Mike but 'bananas' is not the appropriate term I would ascribe to this accident. I think it's safe to presume that at least one person died in this accident and but for the panel van he bounced off, the truck would have ended up in the ditch. Tragic yes, bananas, no.

Seen that one before. Scary stuff.

I think It's safe to assume the SUVs occupants are not longer with us. I think the trucker might have taken a decent blow too. That's still one hell of an impact.

Absolutly crazy eh.

No offense Mike but 'bananas' is not the appropriate term I would ascribe to this accident. I think it's safe to presume that at least one person died in this accident and but for the panel van he bounced off, the truck would have ended up in the ditch. Tragic yes, bananas, no.

sorry... next time ill make sure to add context to what im saying...

if im not talking about the actual fruit... i use the word bananas to describe something unbelievable...maybe not the perfect word i guess... but it was the first thing that came to mind when i watched that video and the van completely shattered...

i wasnt trying to make light of the collision... and im a little offended that you would call me out in public assuming thats what im doing... next time take it to a pm and suggest that i might edit my post because it may be seen as offensive by some...cause i didnt see it as inappropriate...but now that you mention it... other words could have been used...

thanks for the quick judgement

mike

Wasn't trying to call you out Mike and I'm not judging you, just making a remark about the comment. but yes, a pm mighta been a better way to go ;) still a really horrible accident and it started so quickly.

no biggy...

icy roads are nothing to mess with...

from what i can tell as soon as the car ahead changed lanes the SUV tried to accelerate and thats when he lost it...if it was rear wheel drive they can kick out the back end in a hurry...

thats why i take my time in those conditions... and if there is anything on the roads...snow...slush...etc.... 4X4 is always on...

makes you realize... 5 star crash ratings only get you through so much...

Looks like he caught the soft stuff in the middle? I agree with not being distracted but that may not have been the case here.

Interesting fact I learned this weekend. My friend bought a 2012 Ford Edge Limited and it is all voice controlled (as they show in the comercials). What I didn't know is the vehicle will not allow you to manually change music, climate, or navigation while you are driving. Not even the passenger. From what I was told, the vehicle has an alert that says something like "vehicle in motion" and locks out the controls. You have to pull over and put it in park to manually adjust the settings or use voice control.

Last time I was in Alberta, I was absolutely floored by the winter drivers there. 130km on the highway with numerous black ice patches, with cars in ditches everywhere. Then there were the drivers passing those slow movers hauling prefab homes to the Fort, with "inches" to pass, on the same icy roads. in the dark. In this case, it seems if there wasn't a centre furrow, this accident might not have happened. His tires dug in and...

In Ontario, I'm floored at how fast the transport trucks drive in poor conditions. Heading home from the Nip G2G this year, we ran in to some NASTY weather. Driving 60km's and there's trucks passing us going 90 to 100km/s.. Seems a bit crazy to me.. But I'm not a trucker, and have no idea how they handle on ice and snow covered roads.?

Obviously this is not a factor in the video here. This trucker had no chance.

Edited by N.A.W

Last time I was in Alberta, I was absolutely floored by the winter drivers there. 130km on the highway with numerous black ice patches, with cars in ditches everywhere. Then there were the drivers passing those slow movers hauling prefab homes to the Fort, with "inches" to pass, on the same icy roads. in the dark. In this case, it seems if there wasn't a centre furrow, this accident might not have happened. His tires dug in and...

Yup, those people are nuts...I almost died several times due to cowboys on hwy 63, the hwy to hell. Most of those guys could just run you over if you drive slow...10foot lift, 100,000 dollar truck. Easily the worst hwy I've ever driven.

BTW, that video was brutal to watch. I could only watch it once. unsure.gif

That's nuts.

It's FAR more dangerous to try to pull over than it is to adjust the radio volume.

Good intentions, but poor in practice.

Or as I said....you could use your voice to turn up the radio. Simple as "volume up".

Here is the info from www.ford.ca

"Feel distracted every time you try to find climate controls while driving? With MyFord Touch™, you no longer have to reach for knobs or dials to adjust the temperature. Using a simple voice command, you can set things exactly where you want them."

Looks like he caught the soft stuff in the middle? I agree with not being distracted but that may not have been the case here.

Interesting fact I learned this weekend. My friend bought a 2012 Ford Edge Limited and it is all voice controlled (as they show in the comercials). What I didn't know is the vehicle will not allow you to manually change music, climate, or navigation while you are driving. Not even the passenger. From what I was told, the vehicle has an alert that says something like "vehicle in motion" and locks out the controls. You have to pull over and put it in park to manually adjust the settings or use voice control.

Stupid options like this will result in me seeing more of the "Out of a job yet, keep buying foreign" stickers on peoples cars :wallbash:. What were they thinking?

Absolutely brutal.

The most horrific accident I've ever seen

For sure a wake up call to be more careful esp in slippery weather

I'm going to email it to all my family and friends. Especially the young people. My kids.

Might save a life.

Last time I was in Alberta, I was absolutely floored by the winter drivers there. 130km on the highway with numerous black ice patches, with cars in ditches everywhere. Then there were the drivers passing those slow movers hauling prefab homes to the Fort, with "inches" to pass, on the same icy roads. in the dark.

And yet they're always telling us that we don't know how to drive in snow.

In Ontario, I'm floored at how fast the transport trucks drive in poor conditions. Heading home from the Nip G2G this year, we ran in to some NASTY weather. Driving 60km's and there's trucks passing us going 90 to 100km/s.. Seems a bit crazy to me.. But I'm not a trucker, and have no idea how they handle on ice and snow covered roads.?

Obviously this is not a factor in the video here. This trucker had no chance.

I don't know the conditions you were in so I'm not defending the truck drivers in your case. As a driver, I have to remind myself before getting frustrated that cars don't have the height and weight advantage of a truck. What seems like a light dusting to us in a truck is often a blinding snow storm to those in passenger vehicles affected by wheel spray and blowing snow from other motorists. I've often arrived at my terminal and jumped into my car thinking 'it wasn't this bad 15 minutes ago'. And I drive a 4WD Suburban!

We have a job to do and most of us conduct ourselves in a safe manner. On a snowy night I'll often encounter a very slow motorist weaving about where they think the middle lane 'might' be while I can see the lines through the snow. My initial reaction is 'pick a lane you ....' and then I consider their vantage point and inability to see what I can see. I'll do my part by passing when it is safe to do so, leaving as much room as I can and with steady acceleration. I don't want to spend all day passing because it can make a motorist weary but I don't want to blow their doors off and spook them either.

My hope is that they will use my path to show them where the road is but I have this funny feeling they're telling everybody in the car with them 'look at that maniac!'.

Driving in fog and rain is often easier in a truck as well. We're less prone to spray and can often see over the fog or at the very least, it's thinner.

With that said, trucks aren't sports cars. Even if we can eventually giddy up and go, it doesn't mean we can stop with any greater efficiency in inclement weather. We merely have the advantage of seeing a little more.

In response to the accident video; I've seen that happen possibly twenty times but never with such an outcome. Over the years I've had two cars slide across my bow from oncoming traffic. I've been lucky on both accounts that I've had time to react. I'm very thankful for divided highways and median walls we have in Ontario; it may have been a trip to the body shop instead of the morgue in this incident.

Ive witnesses an accident while travelling back home a few winters ago as me and my wife were involved in it. Wrote off my Chevy as a result with other cars. Till this day I try to avoid driving in that stuff. Im not afraid of much but it changed my life as a driver. Nothing worse then seeing a driver of another vehicle pinned and die in front of you all the while being helpless. Worse feeling ever.