What'd I screw up ??

lew

The horn button for my boat is a knob that you twist to the right to activate, which is something I don't like.

010.jpg

I decided to change it to a push button

008.jpg

The original has the clips that push onto the back of the switch

005.jpg

The new push button has the screws that you wrap the wires around and tighten down

009-1.jpg

Before I did anything this morning I tested the horn and it worked fine.

I then cut the clips from the original switch, and installed the wires on the screws on the new switch and the horn wouldn't work. I then switched the wires around and it still wouldn't work.

I then put new clips on the wires and put them back on the original switch and now that doesn't work either.

The power switch is on and the fuse is fine, infact I even tried a new fuse and still nothing.

If it matters, both wires are orange & white.

Any thoughts ??

well...

my next step if you have access to the horn would be to put alligator clamps from the connections on the horn directly to a battery to test the horn...

other then that... sounds like a strange situation lew....

do those orange and white wires go to a panel of some sorts... i had something similar happen to me with my lights... ended up being a corroded connection on the switch panel broke off.... just me playing with the wires was the straw that broke the camels back i guess...

Try to see if the horn still works by doing what Bill said. Actually, before that, check the contacts to the horn to make sure one didn't come off while you were fiddling. If it works, then follow each wire to see where it goes and make sure it's connected. If you have a test light or voltage meter, make sure you have power. Good luck.

All good suggestions guys and thanks, but all connections are clean and tight and I've already tried all your ideas. Actually I never even came close to any of the connections other than the ones right at the switch.

I tried your suggestion too Spiel and connected the 2 wires to each other but still nada.

If I didn't know better I'd think somehow I blew a fuse but it checks out OK and I've already tried different fuses there.

Oh well, I spose if anyone gets in my way this summer I'll just have to scream at them or blow my whistle :lol:

Thanks anyhoo boyz.

I hooked a battery directly to the horn and it works fine.

I've been under the dash for an hour checking connections and they all seem to be tight and I've re-checked the fuses and everything appears good.

This is really bizarre because as I said above the only thing I did was take the wires off the back of the old switch and put them on the back of the new switch.

The entire job only took a couple minutes.

:dunno:

Lew check all the fuses, if there is a relay in the circuit it could be on another fuse, is there a wiring diagram sticker anywhere? i have one in my bilge area that comes in handy for electrical gremlins

also check for a connector off, many boats just have push on connectors that come loose easily

Edited by ecmilley

Ernie, there's no actual diagram for the fuse panel but everything is clearly marked on the fuse block including the fuse for the horn. I've checked them all earlier incase the relay is seperate but I'm gonna check them again.

Roy, the key doesn't need to be on but there's a seperate master switch on the dash but I had it in the correct position.

And Rob, yes I've tried with both the new & old switches.

It's no wonder auto mechanics are so well paid :lol:

If the wire was really old and brittle the strands could have let go within the jacketing when you bent them to work on them. It would only show with a voltage tester.

Sorry Trouty, we were both posting at the same time.

The boats only 3 years old and the wires don't seem to be the least bit brittle, but that was a good point.

I'm no expert on such things, but here's my guess. Did you install the switch back into the dash before trying it? Perhaps the dash is the ground?? :dunno:

No I didn't Dan as the dash is fiberglass with no metal at all near the switch and the old switch itself is a plastic housing but that was one of my 1st thoughts this morning.

The new switch is metal but the neck that comes thru the dash is bigger than the old one so I'll need to ream the hole out to make it fit and I don't want to do that until I figure out the problem.

Okay, the horn works 100%, you tested it directly to the battery. The only thing that switch does is close the circuit, just like a common light switch in a house. Find out where the or/wh wire comes from under the dash and what it's hooked to for a power source. There's another wire on the other side of the horn, ( you need 2 to make it work) ones + the other -, I'm highly suspecting the or/wh is +positive. Find out where the other wire from the horn goes, most likely a common ground point(buss bar) under the dash. Somewhere under there is a failed connection, the actual connector may be tight however the wire is not making contact at the connector. There's no other way around it.

Lew,First check to see if any thing else is not working.The horn fuse will be for the horn not the switch,

I think you have a main power fuse blown.

Touching the two wires together should make the horn work.

Two wires the same colour means power in power out.No ground at the switch.