My Introduction

walking_angler

Hello,

I have been sporadically reading postings in this forum for a short while, and I have decided to join.

I am new (read novice) angler. I spent most of last August walking and fishing around places where I thought I would be able to catch fish. Most of my excursions took place at Humber Bay Park (East and West), Mimico Creek, Grenadier Pond, and Ontario Place.

I want to improve my results from last year. I want learn how to fish.

My best results thus far have been shooting several fish in a barrel at a trout farm early this spring. This has reaffirmed my initial belief that I am capable of catching fish. This confidence however, does not get much millage when I enjoy hours upon hours without a strike.

My set up is simple, and would illicit laughter from most serious anglers. With your collective guidance, I hope to enjoy more success this season.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the OFC

My set up is simple, and would illicit laughter from most serious anglers

Do not worry about it :D . Myself, after 4 years and few $$$$$$$ :o s, I still cannot catch what I target :rolleyes: , but the fun is priceless :worthy:

Just remember that this is the only place where you will have an answer to your question ( regardless what it might be ) :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

welcome to the board WA. here you will find answers to many questions, you will find a new addiction (OFC community)

im sure that in no time, you will be out catching fish after fish with some very experienced fisherman/gals information...

Bud

Welcome to the board!!! My wife (bly on the board) and I started fishing last summer....our equipment consisted of a pair of $30 rod and reel combos from Canadian Tire and a few spoons and lures. With the help of great people on this board, we are able to fairly successfully target species we are after. Good luck!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Walking Angler eh? How about "Wangler"?

I'll tell you Wangler it's not about the gear. You'll find the info you get here will improve your catch ratio and therefore your enjoyment in the great outdoors.

Don't forget your camera too, we love lots of pics.

Welcome

Welcome aboard WA. Leraning to fish seems to be an ever evolving process. Glad to see ya joined the group. Post a couple questions on what your looking for and you'll get some great tips and advice. Remember ... post of pic or two of your catch ... we love pics.

Hey WA - I frequent humber bay park quite often - there's bass and pike to be had when the seasons open! There's also a crap load of carp in the little lagoons all summer long! (not the ponds, the little bays and inlets) the ponds have largemouth bass, bluegill and i've seen some small carp come out of them. I'd be glad to meet you out there at some point - can't guarantee that you'll catch a fish but I can show you a thing or two!

Welcome aboard - you're sure to learn alot.

UF

Hey WA - I frequent humber bay park quite often - there's bass and pike to be had when the seasons open! There's also a crap load of carp in the little lagoons all summer long! (not the ponds, the little bays and inlets) the ponds have largemouth bass, bluegill and i've seen some small carp come out of them. I'd be glad to meet you out there at some point - can't guarantee that you'll catch a fish but I can show you a thing or two!

Welcome aboard - you're sure to learn alot.

UF

I am glad that someone fishes that park, and has some luck. I've attached a photo, and I've got some questions too.

1. When you say ponds, do you mean #1,2,3, and 5?

2. I have seen baby bass in #5 and in the marshland that goes from 3 to 5. Do you recommend small jigs? I tried using tiny size 0 an 1 agila spinners in #5 and I'd watch the small fish dart to the lure and then dart back to the floating cover. I also tried Berkley blade dancers in #5, and ran into a swarm of gobies whenever it would hit the bottom.

3. Would you use a plastic jig in #1, 2, 3?

4. What are the chances of a pike swimming past me at #8? I tried a cyclone and large spinners there (casting towards the other point) with no luck.

5. I found many little footpaths ending in cans of corn all along the bay #6, on both ends, would you recommend spinners or jigs in there?

6. When you said lagoon, did you mean #7? The funny thing is that I don't remeber seeing that piece of land almost closing off that lagoon. All I remember is a very weedy wide shallow bay #9. Can you confirm that #7 exists?

Thanks in advance.

humberbay.jpg