Fishermen stranded on Simcoe

Joey

If you are so inclined read the comments from readers attached to the various news articles. That is how the much of the general, non-outdoors, public views all of us.

It's bound to happen... Kind of makes your blood boil a little bit eh!

The sad part of it is.. They have every right to think that.. These guys give safe ice fisherman a bad rap.

Edited by N.A.W

All the ice fisherman that I fish with, who I trust with my life, all gave up on this area last weekend. They ALL strongly warned everyone to stay away from that area for the rest of this season.

I'm glad these guys all survived, but I'm ashamed on their behalf as an ice fisherman. They shouldn't have been there. End of story.

:thumbsup_anim::clapping: :clapping:

S.

Everything has been said. IMO there should be a small fine of maybe... $1000 each to help cover the cost and effort of the rescue but more importantly to give it a higher visibility since being rescued will probably just give them and others the idea that there will always be someone to pull our dumb asses out of harms way when we make bad decisions.

I do agree there should be a fine, but I don't think there's a law that allows us to fine them...

what happens if the guy says, i ain't paying the $1000, u gonna leave me to die or what?

I'm just saying without an existing law, it's hard to levy a fine against the idiots

I was canoeing down a remote river, we dumped the canoe and lost it down a nasty rapid filled gorge. Way too far to walk out (no roads), we had to sattelite message for help. We were flown out by helicopter.

When they pick you up they don't mention fines or the potential for fines, they just get you out and safe. The OPP later asked us questions about our experience, how much we were drinking, smoking any dope, our equipment etc., I'm guessing to see if we were competent. I guess they deemed us competent, and the wrecked canoe was just back luck, and the trip out was no charge for us.

I'm glad these guys are safe, I think they should cover the bill though.

It is good to know, if you do need help, there's people and equipment to help you.

Edited by chris.brock

I try hard not to flame people on OFC. But what you said is not the case at all.

All the ice fisherman that I fish with, who I trust with my life, all gave up on this area last weekend. They ALL strongly warned everyone to stay away from that area for the rest of this season.

I'm glad these guys all survived, but I'm ashamed on their behalf as an ice fisherman. They shouldn't have been there. End of story.

I think you and Misfish are missing my point.

Anytime during the season when the ice is unsafe or questionable there are always people who access the ice because they have done it for years and know how to judge safe ice. This happens everywhere people ice fish. There are always experts who disregard the warnings because they are smarter, more experienced and have done it for years. They don't listen to anyone telling them the ice is unsafe. They are the experts who disregard warnings from police and fellow fishermen and go out anyway. They are usually regarded as experts until they break through the ice or need to be rescued. That is when all of a sudden they are called jerks and idiots by people who don't even know them.

I am sure many who were rescued today probably thought that they were experts, if they didn't, why were they out there disregarding warnings and taking a chance with their lives? How many times in this thread have they been called idiots and jerks by people who don't know them?

So an expert is only step away from being a jerk.

Don't worry your record of not flaming people on OFC continues, no heat was felt.

Tom.

possible fine is $410 per person per truck and 5 trucks were used. Possible $2050 fines.

That was real training for the rescuers. REally tested their equipment in horrible conditions. Some equipment was not up to the challenge. Similar to when the oro fire dept lost a boat a few years ago during a rescue.

Some stunning video from rescue.

Amazing how fast the ice sheets break up in the waves.

You think anyone was trolling off the back of the sheet? lol

Best possible scenario for all involved. Incredible!

Glad the opp chopper was so close in Orillia.

After recieving a phone call from my good buddy who was the 3rd last man picked by the chopper,I really don't know what to say ,just glad they all made it home....We were on that spot on Weds.and we talked thurs.and both agreed not to go ,but it was -10 all night and my buddy went to look Fri. morning after watching the weather network for the forcast ,he says they were forcasting 10 k winds and all the water on top was frozen with not a breath of wind,so he decided to go.Well he got out there and it started to snow and when that stopped ,BAM in came the wind,he said it moved his portable with him in it and all he could do to stop from blowing away,was put his feet in the hut and his arm down the hole.....he held on for almost 5 mins ,then it stopped,he packed up and as soon as he was packed ,it came back with a vengence.He was fishing near 2 others and the 3 of them headed back to the dock at BBP,but got to about 90 fow and there was a 10 ft crack of open water ,so they turned around and headed for Oro.It was blinding winds with the snow that just fell and the whole bay started breaking up,they had to jump 3-4 cracks about 2 ft wide to get to the large group of people,but when they were waiting to get picked up,all he could do was lie on the ice as not to get blown in.He says he looked at the sheet they were on and 30 yds to the left there was 3 ft waves and 30 yds right of him,same thing...Glad they all made it and that's quite an end to this years season.....TC and tight lines all......Chuck...

Since this thread is still at the top this morning i'd like to share this food for thought just to see what others think and perhapes to understand certain things better that i might not understand at this point . It has to do with maybe handing fines to the people who were rescued off the ice yesterday . Have i and ? over looked the fact that all Canadian property owners and i am one , pay property taxs to have thease public services in place in each of our neigbour hoods so every one is pertected no matter what in the case of an emergence . Beleiving this is so then , i don't understand the greed in adding insalt to injury with handing out fines to people for a service which is already paid for . Idon't get the picture i guess .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I do agree there should be a fine, but I don't think there's a law that allows us to fine them...

what happens if the guy says, i ain't paying the $1000, u gonna leave me to die or what?

I'm just saying without an existing law, it's hard to levy a fine against the idiots

They would be fined once off the ice. I understand it is impossible to legislate stupid but just imagine a Rescuer making the ultimate sacrifice in this scenario . What then? We all make mistakes and things happen at an accelerated rate on the water but given the circumstances this year it was an idiot move for sure. They should have gone tomorrow, maybe even break out the shorts.

Edited by moxie

Where I was last weekend off the 4th the ice was 1" think in spots with 3" of half frozen slush on top. My foot broke through once. Spud went thru in one hit several times.

...and how does this make you any smarter than those out yesterday? Besides that you didn't actually go for a swim. Sounds like you were an accident waiting to happen as well...

I hope your ok Dr S but in a bad bad way I would love to see ur smart ass paddling around out there in the broken pieces of ice.

Cliff your words couldn't be more true. I still can't believed somebody said to fine them. Like somebody abusing a resource catching OOS fish. Yup find them. They paid for there license...fine them, they brought there kids, or brother or dad out ice fishing. Yup fine them, there locals there good fisherman there nice hard working decent people. Make them pay!

Yup makes sense to me. :wallbash:

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I hope your ok Dr S but in a bad bad way I would love to see ur smart ass paddling around out there in the broken pieces of ice.

Smart asses don't go dumb places and it takes a special kind of dumbass to get stuck on an ice flow.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Enough has been said about why in the world would you go out there..

My only comment is how many people have gone out on the lake when the forcast said light winds but then in a couple minutes the wind changes and the winds turn to a gale from the worst possible direction.

I am glad we have people trained for these events. Sometimes stuff happens.

If there was a fine I would pay it and smile.. If there was no fine I would be making a donation to the fund for fallen rescuers.

Now back to prepping my boat for spring