1970 challenger RT project

e-z-out

my question is this. WHy not keep the car numbers matching and if you don't want it, sell it for $50 - $60k plus and then go out and buy a slighly more worn 318 car and do the mod on that one. Just makes no sense to me. I must be missing something here.

Looks like fun Jose.

Do you have all the wiring harnesses and computers to go along with the V10?

How do you plan to hook up the speedometer and other things that do not match?

I have a nice GM complete LS1 powertrain.

Just waiting for something to put it in.

Are you willing to sell the LS1; if so how much?

I have a customer that might be interested in it for his 64 Impala.

The car has already had a drivetrain swop; so stuffing one of these in would bring back some of its value.

We’ve installed a LS1 in an 87 Mazda RX7 with a manual six speed. The car was originally turbo charged, which meant it came factory with a 4:10 posi differential.

Talk about the best of both worlds; low 11’s with shinny (No traction) 60 series street tires and then approx 35 miles to the gallon, doing a buck 20 on the 401.

We haven’t found what the top end is yet; but at 280Kph in 5th gear, we pulled the foot out of the throttle.

This year there’s a cam, 6lt heads and some valvetrain work to be done; which should take us up another 100hp. After that the roll cage and some body mods, so we can stuff some decent rubber under her.

The most common remark we hear from people is “that don’t sound like no rotary”. LOL

It's still an ugly duckling now; but wanting to finish off the power train and then cosmetics.

Trying to keep her looking as stock as possible; the factory hood closes right on top of the LS1. Don't want too many knowing what’s pushing her down the road, not until the right time anyway.

Dan.

Copy of RX7LS1 001.jpg

Copy of RX7LS1 002.jpg

We’ve installed a LS1 in an 87 Mazda RX7 with a manual six speed.

Although it does make me cry a little (I love the FC and FD Turbo RX7s), that's very cool too DanD.

I suppose it's a drag car -- I'm saying that because stuffing the ls1 would likely ruin weight distribution for road course and add a few pounds on top of it?

Edited by Raf

There guy`s out their that will destroy a beautiful 63 Impala`s to try and make them look pretty.

So it would only be a improvement from the Chrysler stable.

Impala fitting name it should be impailed

MOPAR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it's a drag car -- I'm saying that because stuffing the ls1 would likely ruin weight distribution for road course and add a few pounds on top of it?

You’d be very surprised at how well the car candles a road track; this little car just loves the extra weight of the all aluminum V8 and the power; well if a car could smile it be from headlight too headlight. Also with the engine almost back touching the firewall and the length of the six speed; the front to rear weight distribution is pretty good. Looking at the rake of the car, other then a bit lower (2-2.5 inch front and rear) it looks stock.

All I know is stick her nose deep into a corner from the outside and plant your boot; she just squats and grabs for asphalt with very little push, too correct for.

Dan.

I see there are suspension mods. Was it originally torsion bar? Worked for chrysler when younger and a mechanic friend of mine had a Duster 440, traction was always a problem but it sizzled on the highway. Challengers were hard to find new back then. Seems after Vanishing Point came out in the theatres the cars could'nt be made fast enough in the sense of availability. I liked the old Charger and Super Bee too.

Bernie

I hear yea, I’m not that much of a wheeler dealer myself; when I get something I like, I hang on to it, just in case. If by chance you do find something to put that drive train in and you need the PCM tweaked, let me know. My Son is getting the software, so that he can go in and change programming of the PCM; rather than just dealing with GM’s per-written parameters. If you want a different timing curve, more fuel, less fuel, turning certain emissions devices off (not that we’d do that); this software should do this. It cost us a couple hundred for a guy to do this for us on the Mazda/LS1 and now that we’re adding a few more ponies, it’ll need changing again. With our own software we’ll be able to tailor programming to the car’s needs, while on the road or dyno and our foot into the throttle, while under load. Just ask an we’ll deal with logistics and of course it’ll be on an OFC/OFC deal.

Sorry for the hijack and going back to the thread; that MOPAR; is going to turn some heads for sure. Just the thought of the snake pushing that vintage down the road warrants an acknowledgment of respect.

Dan.