Outdoor Store in Burlington

superdad

I was going to say, that place will be minutes from my house, but I'll still make most of my purchases from Cabelas.com

The wide discrepancy in pricing from retailers in this province compared to U.S. retailers is mind boggling, and not just on fishing tackle!

Example on a Rapala X-Rap Shad 6

Canadian Retailer - $10.99

U.S. Retailer $8.99 (On Sale for $4.99)

Spend wisely canadian.gif

Edited by tonyb

I drove down to Gagnons in Oshawa a couple weeks back to buy another musky rod and never even bothered going into the new Sail nearby.

Never been in a Sail store and have nothing against them, but like others have said I prefer to spend my $$$$ in the long established local businesses.

I was going to say, that place will be minutes from my house, but I'll still make most of my purchases from Cabelas.com

The wide discrepancy in pricing from retailers in this province compared to U.S. retailers is mind boggling, and not just on fishing tackle!

Example on a Rapala X-Rap Shad 6

Canadian Retailer - $10.99

U.S. Retailer $8.99 (On Sale for $4.99)

Spend wisely canadian.gif

I sold them for $9.99 so $1 more and when you factor in duty,exchange and bokerage fees for imports out of the US there is no price difference, not so mind boggling is it? I hope the day doesnt come when guys want to go check out a rod or reel or whatever and cant do it close to home because there's no dealer left. Sometimes when you wanna have your cake and eat it too there is a price to pay.

I sold them for $9.99 so $1 more and when you factor in duty,exchange and bokerage fees for imports out of the US there is no price difference, not so mind boggling is it? I hope the day doesnt come when guys want to go check out a rod or reel or whatever and cant do it close to home because there's no dealer left. Sometimes when you wanna have your cake and eat it too there is a price to pay.

couldn't have said it better my self

Same here. Burns Fishing on Plains Road is a small but excellent tackle store. Steve's a great guy too, which makes the decision to give him my business a no-brainer.

If they were all like that,then they would get more business.Saddly,some are not and turn you to the big box stores.

I dropped into the Sails in Vaughan this weekend,while I was in the area.Had what I wanted,and the price was fair.Also met with a couple of friends.Didnt even bother with BPS.

I also like the idealogy of supporting the local guy, and I do when I can. However, I can tell you that nearly every single time I try, I end up frustrated and have to source multiple local shops to complete my shopping list.

The local guys just can't stock everything all the time, the same way the larger warehouse type places can. Heck, I've made 'tours' in a single day to Angling Outfitters, Fishing World, Burns Fishing, Grimsby Tackle, Tall Tales and Natural Sports trying to find everything I need at that time. That's a lot of miles in support of the local guys! and those are all really great shops just mentioned by the way!

For example, you'd think that in April/May when many great lakes salmon and trout anglers begin their season, that stores would stock the likely items these anglers will need replenishing.

Something like size #4 or #2 2x strong treble hooks would be a pretty common one, as guys look to beef up their stickbaits for those powerful Kings. That being said, give it a test...try to find a good selection of Owner ST-41 Black Chrome treble hooks at your local tackle shop the next time you are there and post your results. Another recent example was when I wanted to replace my crappy old winter boots with a pair that will serve me for the next decade. I tried, but could not find a high-end pair of winter boots that compare to Cabelas Trans Alaska 3 I looked at Marks Work Warehouse, Canadian Tire, BassPro and some other retailers and there was nothing of comparable quality, and we're in CANADA! where winter is supposed to be coldest haha

It's not always just about the price...but when product selection and availability factor in, it's hard to ignore the benefits of online shopping.

I am always satisfied after shopping with Cabelas..what can I say...they serve me well.

Edited by tonyb

Tonyb,

I think a lot of stores do try to stock up on seasonal items, but if you know you're going to need specific things, why not just order them well in advance? I do this with Burns Fishing fairly often. For example, late in the fall I might see I'm running low on Drennan floats for steelhead fishing and will need to buy more before the spring season. So I'll stop by in December and order a couple dozen. Steve gets them in from his wholesaler, I go pick them up, and I'm all set - weeks before the ice even melts. When everyone else is scrambling to find floats by late April, I already have mine, with no running around required.

Ive ordered all kinds of stuff this way, from little consumables like hooks and split shot, to big-ticket purchases (rods, reels, etc). It lets me support my friendly neighborhood retailer, while ensuring I get what I need. Sometimes you can avoid price increases this way too :-)

Tonyb,

I think a lot of stores do try to stock up on seasonal items, but if you know you're going to need specific things, why not just order them well in advance? I do this with Burns Fishing fairly often. For example, late in the fall I might see I'm running low on Drennan floats for steelhead fishing and will need to buy more before the spring season. So I'll stop by in December and order a couple dozen. Steve gets them in from his wholesaler, I go pick them up, and I'm all set - weeks before the ice even melts. When everyone else is scrambling to find floats by late April, I already have mine, with no running around required.

Ive ordered all kinds of stuff this way, from little consumables like hooks and split shot, to big-ticket purchases (rods, reels, etc). It lets me support my friendly neighborhood retailer, while ensuring I get what I need. Sometimes you can avoid price increases this way too :-)

My thought exactly. If I need anything I'll head to Bill's Bait, Great guys. I walk in there they treat me like I'm a brother. If they don't have it they probably can get it.

My thought exactly. If I need anything I'll head to Bill's Bait, Great guys. I walk in there they treat me like I'm a brother. If they don't have it they probably can get it.

I'm trying to recall the last time Tony went on his "fishing store day trip".

He posted his results.

Bills Bait (greg) did have the ST41'S (he keeps them somewhat stocked as I have bought some 80 packs from him) as well as the copper tony was looking for, but I do recall not everything Tony was looking for Greg had.

It's one of those things....no one can have it all...

But over the last four years or so, we have got Greg to order just about get everything required for big water fishing....

He's likely the only "small" shop that actually brings in the excalibur tear drop split rings - best split rings money can buy!

Edited by Steve

Same here. Burns Fishing on Plains Road is a small but excellent tackle store. Steve's a great guy too, which makes the decision to give him my business a no-brainer.

I'm going to have to stop by there. I believe it's the place set back a bit from the street on the north side?

Tonyb,

I do the same at Grimsby Tackle. Recently I ordered a larger trolling reel for copper line, and it was in & ready to be picked up a week's time.

It's not always just about the price...but when product selection and availability factor in, it's hard to ignore the benefits of online shopping.

I am always satisfied after shopping with Cabelas..what can I say...they serve me well.

I was going to climb all over you (you know, who sponsors your kid's hockey team? Who pays municipal taxes? etc.) then I realized that you are completely correct and that I do exactly the same thing (order in what I am not willing to drive all over the city to see if it is hanging on someone's wall or not).

For years it was just a part of shopping in Canada that you bought what they had, and if they didn't have it you made do with what they did have.

I have also found is that places like Bill's (Greg and Tim are the absolute best) can often get stuff in at the same price that I can have it shipped to the house for (in the case of rods where shipping is prohibitive) and still have a profit margin (I assume). It does pay to ask first though, but the days of driving to a store hoping that they have the exact rod you were after are just about over.

Jim

I too am a multi store shopper

I really like JBs Fishing Depot, great service, awesome selection (hard to find bass stuff and one of the best if not the best muskie selection in the GTA)

Sometimes though if I'm looking for something very specific I hit Lebarons in mississauga or BPS

Sail at Vaughan is nice but doesn't have the selection or prices like Lebarons in my opinion

I go to Burlington for work the odd time so will definitely check out the smaller shop mentioned previously

I think it's important to support local as well to a point. The point being this local guys wallet. So do I mind paying 1 to 3 % more, not at all. But 10 percent and up I'm going the cheapest route possible

rolleyes.gif