14 utility what motor

beertech

Depends what you wanna get out of it... I put a 25 on a small 14 footer... It boogied... But I almost flipped it because it was too much power when there wasn't a passenger in the front...

Do you fish alone most of the time... 2 in the boat... 3 in the boat...?

You can always run half throttle on a bigger motor... Then you have the power if you need it... The 15 wouldn't give you that option...

I'd go 20 horse. You can put a bigger motor on it but it makes it tuff getting out of the hole even when running half throttle. Turning corners wide open with a small boat/bigger motor can get pretty hairy as well especially when there's a chop on the water. Best slow it down a little and be safe.

I didn't even look at the boat and I can say without a doubt get the 20. Max. it out on the motor rating. You will kick yourself if you dont.

I've read this "max it out" theory many times on here. I have a Lund Pro Sport that is rated for 90 hp, but I have a 60 on it. It gives me great hole shot, 38 mph (depending on which prop I use), and trolls down to next to nothing. Not to mention the fuel savings. So tell what I'm missing by not having a 90 hp? I'm really looking forward to the answer.

If the motor manufacturer you are considering makes a 25 then put a 25 on it. If they don't, but only make a 20 then go for that. The 15, like was said is OK if you are constantly taking it off, but I wouldn't do that, especially if it's a 4 stroke. Put a masterlock motor lock on the clamps and bolt it in through the transom and put one of those locking bolts in.

You won't regret going for the larger option.

well if you decide on what kind of fishing are you going to do wityh it the most both 14ft boats i have had one had a 25 four stroke,and one had a 15 2 stroke,and for trolling for walleyes the 15 was way better trolled right down,but if you are not going to be using it for trolling,go with the maxumum hp !!!!

No they aren't. Some yes, Johnson 2005 2 stroke is a 2 cyl. as are many others. I believe Mercs are also 2 cyl. OMC did at one time have a 3 cyl 25 hp motor and I think Suzuki did too.

as I noted above I was talking about 4 strokes...looks like they are split down the middle 2 vs 3cyl, but weight is a big difference

Merc 25 157

Merc 20 115

Yamaha 25 170

Yamaha 20 114

Honda 25 155

Honda 20 104

The Honda 20 4 stroke is a great choice due to its lightweight.

Edited by Spooled

20 or a 25.

I ran a 25 on my 14. I've also run a 15, and 9.9 on the same boat.

You can alway back off the throttle if you need to. But when it's calm and flat, it sure is nice to have the extra top end speed.

Also, I camp a lot. With a boat loaded down, it sure is nice to be able to plane out. Specially when you're racing for a spot on the Thursday of a long weekend!

The Honda 20 4 stroke is a great choice due to its lightweight.

Looks like a good choice, wonder if that weight is for a long or short shaft with electric start? If it is then for sure, as this can add a few extra pounds.

Also an electric start, although nice does unfortunatly add even more weight because of the battery.

Buddy put a Honda 40 on his boat last year, sweet motor.

My buddy has the same boat. He runs a 25 Yamaha two stroke on it.

A big consideration is weight.

20 Yamaha four stroke weighs in at 114 lbs. (dry weight)

25 Yamaha four stroke weighs in at 181 lbs. (dry weight)

25 Yamaha two stroke weighs the same as the 20 four stroke. 114 lbs.

A 25 four stroke on a 15" transom is just asking for trouble. Quick stops or backtroling and you'll have water slopping over the back end, into the boat.

Supposedly Honda makes the lightest 25 four stroke at 155 lbs. (short shaft) 160 lbs (long)

Hope this helps.

I've read this "max it out" theory many times on here. I have a Lund Pro Sport that is rated for 90 hp, but I have a 60 on it. It gives me great hole shot, 38 mph (depending on which prop I use), and trolls down to next to nothing. Not to mention the fuel savings. So tell what I'm missing by not having a 90 hp? I'm really looking forward to the answer.

60hp - 90hp is a big difference compared to 15hp -20hp. My starcraft is rated for up to 115hp and I have a 90 on it. I would love to have the 115hp even if it is heavier and uses more fuel. I need to get off the lake in a hurry sometimes and Lake Nipissing can get dirty.

From what I have read....the maximum hp is "reccomended by the manufacturer".

I had a buddy buy a 15' Legend at the boat show last year and he asked several "experts" at the show about HP rating. He ended up pairing it with the maximum rated hp.

Maybe Craig Ritchie can comment for us?

There is alot of info on the net that argues both ways.

I ran a 25 on my 14 footer and it was scary fast on flat water. Each boat has a manufacturers plate on the transom with the largest recommended motor size for the boat. I would follow that guideline and if it states 20HP max then that is what I would go with.

i started with a 30 on my 14.5 (carpet/seats/deck) then moved to a 40. the 40 is nicer because it does not have to work as hard (ie. more fuel efficient in the end since i can run it at a lower rpm to maintain the same speed), easier out of the hole. i think top speed is a function of hull design (as well as HP obviously) - top end wise there is a difference between 30/40 (32-33mph empty vs 37-39 empty) but the biggest difference is that i can keep that same speed loaded down with gear and a passenger where with the 30 the difference between loaded and unloaded was greater.

Edited by Raf

thanks for the imput. I will not be trailering it. It will be staying at a cottage on pigeon lake. I was looking at for strokes, Yamaha or merc 15 or 20s.. I was leaning towards the 20 as the merc has electric start yamaha does not. worried the four strokes might be hard to start. I will be fishing more alone than not.

thanks for the imput everyone.

For what its worth my buddy bought a brand new 20hp short shaft yamaha for his 14ft boat similar to the one you're looking at last summer. Pull start is really easy on the yamaha alot easier than we thought it would be. The boat is fine with 2 of us in it. Tops out around 20mph flat calm. With 3 in the boat it struggles to stay on plane...LOL

Anyways thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

thanks for the imput. I will not be trailering it. It will be staying at a cottage on pigeon lake. I was looking at for strokes, Yamaha or merc 15 or 20s.. I was leaning towards the 20 as the merc has electric start yamaha does not. worried the four strokes might be hard to start. I will be fishing more alone than not.

thanks for the imput everyone.

The four strokes aren't any harder to start than a 2 stroke.

We have had 30hp Merc 4 stroke pull start motors at the lodge on Great Bear for quite a few years.

If they are maintained they start first or second pull.

However, having electric start is a huge bonus as you will have a battery and charging system which will mean you have power to run lights, fishfinder, radio etc.

If it were me I would go with the electric start 20hp Merc. ;)