Any Crestliner owners out there ???

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I was offered a deal from a Crestliner dealer in Michigan

2011 Crestliner fish hawk 1650 DC w/ 90HP merc. and 55lbs thrust tolling motor on the front.

Dealer said he would do it for $16500, and that would be delivery to the border. I would have to take it from there and pay the taxes and what not.

Any one have any input on this particular boat ? On crestliners in general ? Is this a good deal ???

Thanks

That is a great boat and a great deal - I think they go for around 21,000 here plus taxes.

Duty will be 13% plus 200 for trailer fee (RIV)

I say go for it:)

I have owned 2 of these with side console and 75hp on them - great layout and will hit 40 mph with just me and fishing stuff, high 30's otherwise.

What motor is on it - that will affect pricing.

Get him to swap the troll motor for a 70 - 80 lb thrust model and pay the difference. The 55lb will not pull this boat in any wind - you will thank me for that one - been there, done that.

Landry

Good deal if the motor is 4 stroke. not so great with a 2 stk.

Another thing to consider is what size & make trailer does it come with?

Ideally You need a minimum 2000 lb trailer under that boat when fully loaded.

don't forget you still have to pay taxes & duties to bring it accross the border.

Michigan is a non-title state for boats under 20ft. Make sure he provides all the proper documentation or else you won't be bringing that boat back over the border. I'd also ask him if he could make out the receipts a bit different so you avoid paying as much tax :)

Edited by BillM

I've had my Fishhawk 1600 SC with 60hp 4 stroke Merc for 4 seasons now and have had no problems. I live on a lake and am retired, so it's seen a lot of action and use. That's not a bad price for that combo, I'd jump at it.

Edited by Old Man

Fishhawk 1750 owner since 2003 here and absolutely no complaints and I kick the **** out of mine. I was trying to hold out for an 1850 but none were around and I had cash burning a whole in my pocket.

My only input would be the 90HP might be a little light. My 115 pushes the 1750 at 42mph. With a 19 pitch prop I could use a bit more power tubing with the kids.

There will likely be no warranty issues - my imported merc died under warranty and was covered here.

As stated, if it is a merc optimax then it is a great deal - they go for $21,000 - 22,000

make sure it comes with the factory trailer and upgrade that trollmotor.

I bought my 1750 used a few years back - its a 2003 with a 115 optimax. I'm very happy with the boat and its performance. A few small issues with livewell and bildge pumps - but I think that had something to do with the previous owner. I would agree with the recommendation to upgrade the trolling motor though - i have 55# unit on mine and while it will move the boat in calm conditions - if there's any wind to speak of its not much good. I'm in the process of upgrading mine right now to an 80# unit.

Is this a welded hull? I've seen 3 crestliners split wide open on the welds now. Personally, I would never buy a welded hull. Just sayin...

S.

Crestliner has a lifetime, non prorated hull warranty for the original owner, so if it's new, you have no worries. Yes, welded hulls can crack and riveted hulls can pop or suffer from loose rivets. My main concern would be the company behind the boat, and with Crestliner, you have nothing to worry about. Just saying.

Edited by Old Man

Crestliner has a lifetime, non prorated hull warranty for the original owner, so if it's new, you have no worries. Yes, welded hulls can crack and riveted hulls can pop or suffer from loose rivets. My main concern would be the company behind the boat, and with Crestliner, you have nothing to worry about. Just saying.

Well you run your crestliner, and when she splits open, and your boat is gone for almost a full year getting repaired, You can join me any time in my 20 year old, leakless, riveted STARCRAFT anytime you'd like. Deal? :whistling:

Just hope and pray it doesn't decide to split open when your 10 miles off shore with a storm front on its way!! I just wouldn't feel comfortable in a boat that "could" split open on me while on the water. I value my life more than my boat manufacturer.

BTW, you ever wonder why they guarantee their boats for life??

S.

I have an 04 1600 Angler and it's been a great boat. It's showing a bit of wear and tear, especially the carpet, but it gets its fair share of use and abuse.

Went with the Vinyl flooring in mine and don't regret it one bit. Wears great and clean up of any Northern or Musky slime is a breeze. I would highly recommend it.

Well you run your crestliner, and when she splits open, and your boat is gone for almost a full year getting repaired, You can join me any time in my 20 year old, leakless, riveted STARCRAFT anytime you'd like. Deal? :whistling:

Just hope and pray it doesn't decide to split open when your 10 miles off shore with a storm front on its way!! I just wouldn't feel comfortable in a boat that "could" split open on me while on the water. I value my life more than my boat manufacturer.

BTW, you ever wonder why they guarantee their boats for life??

S.

Funny, I spend at least 30 hours a week every week during soft water season in my boat and have yet to have any scary life threatening situations like you portray ever happen to me. Guess I'm lucky. I also wasn't aware that it takes a full year to resolve a warranty issue with Crestliner. You obviously have personal experience with them. Oh, and my guess why they warranty their hulls for life is that they stand behind their product. Just saying.:whistling:

I run my boat 12 mos of the year, since new, fishing and hunting from it. Whats your point?

I'm just sharing my experience. I know Crestliners are nice boats, I'm just not sold on welded aluminum on any boat.

I have had no personal experience dealing with crestliner, but have several friends who have. They were all resolved, but took a long time to be completed. One buddy had no boat for most of the softwater season, and his boat split open in the fall. Too long, first of all, and it should have never happened to begin with.

S.

I run my boat 12 mos of the year, since new, fishing and hunting from it. Whats your point?

I'm just sharing my experience. I know Crestliners are nice boats, I'm just not sold on welded aluminum on any boat.

I have had no personal experience dealing with crestliner, but have several friends who have. They were all resolved, but took a long time to be completed. One buddy had no boat for most of the softwater season, and his boat split open in the fall. Too long, first of all, and it should have never happened to begin with.

S.

I agree with you on the welded vs riveted argument. BUT.... If one boat out of 1000 made has issues.... thats a pretty good chance Ill be ok.... Riveted boats can have issues as well... Pros / Cons with everything.