Any Crestliner owners out there ???

Lunker777

Funny, haven't seen too many aluminum tractors or ploughs lately. Different metal, different properties.

Yet there were several freight cars that were made out of aluminium and again NO WELDING on safety appliances. Welding is not to be trusted when you have a man hanging off the side of a car, but rivets or bolts were.

Funny, haven't seen too many aluminum tractors or ploughs lately. Different metal, different properties.

As per my last post. Different vehicles, different operating parameters. Freight car doesn't = boat anymore than Tractor = boat.

As per my last post. Different vehicles, different operating parameters. Freight car doesn't = boat anymore than Tractor = boat.

I am referring to SAFETY standards....welding is not a acceptable means when it comes to personal safety and it didn't matter what material we were working with.

Yet there were several freight cars that were made out of aluminium and again NO WELDING on safety appliances. Welding is not to be trusted when you have a man hanging off the side of a car, but rivets or bolts were.

I you want to talk about safety. Riveted aluminum aircraft are responsible for many human deaths due to metal fatigue that started at rivet holes. The most famous example of this would be the De Havilland Comet crashes of 1954. Again should riveted boat owner worry? No. Should welded boat owners worry? No.

Right up there with whether or not it's legal to photograph a fish. Usually the obscure fishing regulation questions are the trigger for everyone to start prepping their boats for the softwater season. We've got it down to an art Mike. Who needs the groundhog.

welds vs rivets, cracked vs popped, one of the coolest things at the spring boat shot was seening the video of the lund with no drain plug and 20 3-4 inch holes drilled in it, and still driving due to the flotation properties of the boat, point is you can still get back to the boat launch

Edited by moemoe

Funny, when I farmed, the frame of my 835 Versatile Tractor was welded together. So was the frame and hitch of the 36 ft of Morris deep tiller I pulled with it. But then again I'm talking about tractors and cultivators which have just about as much in common with boats as freight cars and airplanes do. So think that out. :whistling:

well you really don't know much about it other then you have a wielded hull

planes and boats do have much in common.....when it comes to the aluminum ones

they both take a pounding from air or water, both outer shells must flex to some degree ..

now a tractor being wielded is surely different

unless you went with a 100 mm aluminum frame on your john deer..LOL..you just love your crestliner and will say anything to defend them..I understand that, we all love what we love..

Edited by Terry

Well since everyone has an opinion, here is mine. My previous tinny was riveted as were my buddies. All different makes and all had rivets come loose or fall out. When up grading a buddy of mine went for a cracker, a year later I got a Crestliner 1750. His boat was nothing but trouble from day one and to the point where he got rid of it and went to a fiberglass hull, fed up with aluminum hulls altogether.

This will be my 10 season with mine and other then some livewell pump problems it's been a good boat for keeping the water out. To answer your original question Lunker777, I'd say it's a good boat at a good price. I'd buy another Crestliner but wouldn't cross a riveted hull off the list. It will come down to the layout, storage, and price the next time around.

well you really don't know much about it other then you have a wielded hull

planes and boats do have much in common.....when it comes to the aluminum ones

they both take a pounding from air or water, both outer shells must flex to some degree ..

now a tractor being wielded is surely different

unless you went with a 100 mm aluminum frame on your john deer..LOL..you just love your crestliner and will say anything to defend them..I understand that, we all love what we love..

Terry, did you actually read this line in my post?????

"I'm talking about tractors and cultivators which have just about as much in common with boats as freight cars and airplanes do. "

I guess my Avatar is spot on in this case. :whistling:

Edited by Old Man

and I read that to mean tractors and cultivators have as much in common with boats have as much in common with boat as freight cars and airplanes do

tractors and cultivators have as much in common with boats as freight cars and airplanes do

the separator seems to be boats, so I read it as none of the above have anything in common with boats

I can only read your post and not your mind or intent