The 2012 Lake Ontario trolling season is just around the corner!

fishdawg

I cant be the only one who's pumped for the upcoming Lake O trolling season. Hopefully my boat will be set to go in a week or two.

It sure will be interesting to see what potential positive effects will come from the mild fall & winter we've had. Convetional thinking would be that baitfish population should be good as well the predetors would have had more time to bulk up on them?

As well we should see what impact will be of the many pen stocking/imprinting projects that many local clubs have taken on across the lake the last few seasons.

For the competitive angler, there seems to be many various tournaments & derbies scheduled to run from mid April to Sept in different locations and with different entry fee levels & formats.

who else cant wait for screaming reels and big chromers ?!

Been standing in the driveway looking at my boat and thinking what day to start getting it ready,. Dropped an HB 1197 on it last fall and never got the chance to get it wet. Also looking at replacing my tired old Abu 7000's with something new and shiny

Hopefully this warm weather has kept the feedback on trout and salmon and we'll continue to see the quality sized fish come the end of summer

FWIW, was fishing last weekend and it sure looked like the odd alewife was in close on the breakwalls

I cant be the only one who's pumped for the upcoming Lake O trolling season. Hopefully my boat will be set to go in a week or two.

It sure will be interesting to see what potential positive effects will come from the mild fall & winter we've had. Convetional thinking would be that baitfish population should be good as well the predetors would have had more time to bulk up on them?

As well we should see what impact will be of the many pen stocking/imprinting projects that many local clubs have taken on across the lake the last few seasons.

For the competitive angler, there seems to be many various tournaments & derbies scheduled to run from mid April to Sept in different locations and with different entry fee levels & formats.

who else cant wait for screaming reels and big chromers ?!

Hope that we can get out together sometime this year.......my travel schedule has eased up a little.

My brother was out recently and commented on how much bait there was in shallow on the north shore. Would be nice to see a spring trolling season like we used to have 15-20 years ago on the north shore.

Excited to flatline and get the boards out this spring!

im pumped to say the least. get my new boat early april and plan on chasing some monsters in lake o as soon as i can.

would be awesome to flatline and get a monster smack and hear the drag scream.

i dont think i have ever been so excited to see the ice leave the lakes. normally im all about staying on the ice as long as i can.

Won't be fishing LO this year but have fished it many times in past. Best catch was 27lb Salmon. Iv'e twice came across that deep depression off shore near Port Credit so it does exist.

Water depth jumped from 45' to 180' poof!--just like that and my fish finder screen immediately picked up activity at about the 110' mark. Seems as quick as you hit the depression, it's gone. One true marker I noticed before hitting it was a severe dirt/debris line on the top water. It's not the usual mile or more off-shore, it's maybe 1/4 mile, I'm sure it's some type of unusual hole or depression?

Interesting topic fishdawg! I have been thinking about this recently as well. Last year we saw many 'above-average' sized Alewife in our spring nets. As a result, the Salmon also seemed to be larger as well. My thinking is that with last years fat baitfish, and this lack of winter/mild winter it is having less of a detrimental impact on the fish in the lake. An easier winter on them, should theoretically mean better numbers and size as fish survive well over winter.

When's your first Brown trip? should be right around the corner now...

I'm looking forward to trying my luck in the derby again this year!

I'm actually looking forward to trolling inland trout this year. I plan on spending more time on the smaller lakes for a change. Of course, I will have my derby ticket, and get out on the big lake as often as I can, but most trips will be after work in the evenings.

I think its going to be a great season on the big water. Big fish, and lots of them. Lets hope mother nature lets us play out there as much as we'd all like to!!

S.

seriously pumped for hitting the lake soon. 1 more trip overseas for March break (worksad.gif ) - and then its trolling time. thumbsup_anim.gif

Looking forward to sharing the boat with you "Captain Morgan"! With G-man, Juli, yourself and myself all on different tourney teams, should make for alot of fun, and, good natured teasing.

Interesting topic fishdawg! I have been thinking about this recently as well. Last year we saw many 'above-average' sized Alewife in our spring nets. As a result, the Salmon also seemed to be larger as well. My thinking is that with last years fat baitfish, and this lack of winter/mild winter it is having less of a detrimental impact on the fish in the lake. An easier winter on them, should theoretically mean better numbers and size as fish survive well over winter.

When's your first Brown trip? should be right around the corner now...

I'm looking forward to trying my luck in the derby again this year!

my exact thoughts too Tony, got the pen imprinting to factor in too!

i may be out next weekend....

I would have been out all winter, if it werent for my boat project & renos