broken glass cleanup?

adolson

i think the best direction would be to pulverize or heavy rake the laneway...to disturb the top layers of aggregate....if the snow happens sooner then later...you can snowblow the glass along with some of your aggregate over to the neighbours as im sure he is going to have excavation and new landscaping sometime in the near future

another option is to run around your property without shoes....youll find the small shards that you cant see...

(someone had to say it } :wallbash:

Your neighbor just lost his home and probably all his possessions only 2 weeks before Christmas.

He's got an awful lot on his plate right about now and a bit of glass in your driveway may be the last thing on his mind.

If it were me, I'd probably borrow DanC's broom and clean it up myself.

Then I'd maybe go over and ask my neighbor if there was anything I could do to help HIM

But that's just me. :dunno:

i'd understand trying to recover costs for cleanup if it was the homeowners negligence that caused the explosion, but to make the guys life even harder, especially at this time of year, is absolutely ridiculous. get off your lazy butt and start raking, sweeping, and vacuuming.

if your driveway is clear stone, use a rake and the small pieces of glass will settle deep enough. if it's granular A (sand/stone mix) it should be compacted enough that you could actually sweep the loose stone, sand, and glass without disturbing the compacted stuff. i've done it many times. btw...odds are you don't walk on a gravel driveway with bare feet, so small pieces of glass shouldn't concern you.

if your grass is long, cut it with a mower on one of the lowest settings and then use a leaf blower to blow any glass to one side of your yard before raking or using a shop vac.

when you're done that, go ask your neighbors if there's any way you can help them out. :angel:

I think the main point is that Dana now has broken glass all over his property and is wondering if the cleanup has to be done solely on his dime. Contact your insurance broker, he/she should be able to help you. I'd work on cleaning up the big stuff as best as possible to start, put it all in a box and don't throw it out. As for what is on the lawn and is covered with snow, you may have to wait until spring. You aren't trying to profit from your neighbours misfortune, you are trying to restore your property to the state it was in prior to the fire. That is what everyone's insurance is for. Take pics and document what you do, don't give the insurance company an out.

Also, as Lew mentioned, see if there is anything you can do to help them out. Their lives blew up along with the house. Good luck with this.

um, anyone else notice Dana's pic is gone, location is "gone" and so is the info above member... mellow.gif

This time of the year is very emotional, and very hard on some people. You never know what people are going through this time of year Geoff.sad.gif

WOW....a regular nice guy here asks for advice and instead some beat up on him....

I didn't read where he said he wanted to cash in on this misfortune...

These are difficult things as most have never experience something like this before....especially a young man like Dana.

Hopefully he'll take it in stride and come back to this great forum...

BTW he (his picture) reminds me of "Hector" from the show Becker... :)

Hey heaven forbid a house blows up next to me i will not be cleaning glass. It sucks your house blew up but thats what insurace is for its no inconvieniance to your neibour to call his insurance company and have them send a cleanup crew. Then invite him over for dinner. I dont se how anyones getting rich. If a cinderblock landed on your boat and put a hole in the bottom would ya patch it up yourself or would ya call the insurance company?

I think his question got sidetracked and as he said he's not looking for a payday out of this.

Having said that, I think the posters who are seen as questioning, believe that if a neighbour's house was destroyed, the last thing they'd be concerned with was glass in the driveway and where they're going to park a car. They'd be more concerned, rightly so, about the family next door and how they're going to deal with losing most likely everything they own, especially during the Christmas season, which, if they have kids, makes it doubly more difficult.

I know if I was more worried about my car or boat vs the now homeless family, my wife would probably take me out back, line me up like she was making an attempt from the 40 yard line, and give me a swift kick in the ass to reset my priorities, for starters.

Perhaps he might have rephrased the question differently if he had a redo. I'm sure Dana will do the right thing for the neighbours.

Edited by woodenboater