Deer hunting is easy!

Big Cliff

The short version:

I built a new deer stand over the last few weeks, pre fabed it in my garage then took it over to a friends farm to set it up. It took a bit of work but sits 12' off the ground (to the floor) and is a box stand.

Got up in it at 2:30 this afternoon, about 4:00 pm a doe and fawn walk out, the fawn was too small to bother shooting and I figured that if I shot the doe the fawn would only end up dieing. 6:15 a nice 8 point buck walks right out in front of me broadside. He had no idea I was even in the area. 30 seconds later and he was dead on the ground.

Dear hunting is so easy! LOL

The short version:

I built a new deer stand over the last few weeks, pre fabed it in my garage then took it over to a friends farm to set it up. It took a bit of work but sits 12' off the ground (to the floor) and is a box stand.

Got up in it at 2:30 this afternoon, about 4:00 pm a doe and fawn walk out, the fawn was too small to bother shooting and I figured that if I shot the doe the fawn would only end up dieing. 6:15 a nice 8 point buck walks right out in front of me broadside. He had no idea I was even in the area. 30 seconds later and he was dead on the ground.

Congrats Big Cliff :clapping:

You must have done your homework(?)

Not seing alot north of GTA this year <_<

Heading east on the 10th . :dunno: new spot? (New hunting camp been bustin our butts on it all summer}

Enjoy your harvest :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on the successful hunting!

On closing day at Liberty Lake, it was pouring rain. I had to use a bail bucket in my canoe, and even my rain suit didn't stop me from getting soaked all the way through. We stopped fishing for about 4 hours to dry off before we tried again. We spent that time with some friendly hunters, but they didn't do anything like you describe. They sat around a big table playing cards the entire time, and cracked jokes about how I shouldn't let my cousin force me into towing the canoe around the lake while swimming.

just a quick question ....how many years did it take to achieve this feat?

nice going though :thumbsup_anim: ...what ever shall you do now your hunt is over ?... :dunno:

Oh I've got one every year for the last five years but this was my biggest deer to date with my bow. It was text book perfect, I'd heard a squril going nuts about 15 minutes earlier and about 100 yards away in the bush so I knew something was around.

My son and I were texting back and forth, I had just told him about letting the doe and fawn go by me. He had commented that I had lots of time now that I was retired. I joked back that sure I had lots of time, it was still an hour before case time.

Then I heard what sounded like antlers on a dead cedar branch about 20 yards behind me in the swamp so I figured it was a buck and he was coming my way. Sure enough 10 minutes later he walked right out in front of me, put his head down right where the doe had been standing and that was the end of that. He had no idea that I was even in the area. I think he might have had other things on his mind :whistling:

The other thing was that I had just built this new stand. I had prefabed it in my garage then hauled it over to the farm set it up and re assembled it there. It is a big one, it will seat two big guys comfortably. My buddy had joked with me about having to take your boots off when you go in it because I had put carpet on the floor. It was one that I desigined myself, very heavy, very solid, and it worked out perfectly.

As far as the hunt being over, I still have my anterless tag and my hunting buddy still has both his tags so I can get more bush time in if I want and I probably will. Shotgun opens here on Monday so I'll probably hunt a few days in there.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and yes Symon, I have the tenderloins and will save them for your visit LOL.

The short version:

By know means is it easy, it's just a bit easier right now. lolol :)

congrats - unfortunately all the action in the stand i got last night was one neighbour with a chainsaw and another with a fourwheeler - kinda spoiled the serenity for me

what kind of bow were you using?

Congrats Big Cliff!

Funny, but it seems that the deer are all around my house this year! A couple of Sunday's ago, I was in the kitchen making morning coffee and I looked out into my backyard, and there was a deer standing beside my pool, enjoying my wife's various flowers! I watched as it walked around the pool a couple of times, then slowly made it's way to the back fence, then back into the ravine behind my house.

Now to some of you, this really isn't an uncommon occurance, but given that I live in Scarborough, it is a little unusual to say the least!

HH

Congrats Cliff! If it's that easy I might just have to take it up.

Joe - can I put a stand up in your backyard? With all the other shootings in Scarborough another shot or 2 might go unnoticed. :whistling:

Heck, I could probably just use your deck as my stand.:D

You could easily mount a crossbow on the upper deck Will... the down side being how do I explain the half dead deer, thrashing around in my neighbours pool?!

HH

~~~~Hmmmmmmmm somethung not rite with your story, letting the Fawn, and Doe go by, then having a buck die in front of you a believe, but you say you were texting, Naaa this I phind hard to believe

Well, I still have the text messages on my phone if you'd like to see them and a picture I took with my phone of the dead deer a few minutes later so you can believe it or not but that's the way it happened LOL!