Photos of lesser known fish species

Rod Caster

I thought it would be interesting to see a collection of photos and descriptions of the "lesser known species" caught by members, like coarsefish or non-targetted species. Some of the underdog species in Ontario make for good sport fish and suprisingly good table fare.

This year I caught a couple large chub from the Ottawa River while I was fishing for walleye. My brother and I tried eating one but it was terrible pan-fried. stretcher.gif This one in the photo is a "horny head chub". It has a couple dozen little bumps on it's head and is usually much smaller. A lot of times they are found in small creeks, especially roadside it seems. They are not a delicacy for people however they make for effective and durable lake trout/pike bait.

100_0003.jpg

This here is a ling (Edit:Burbot) from Lake Nipissing. I only ever catch them ice fishing for walleye using minnows or spoons. They are aggressive and big and slimy and taste great! Poor man's lobster as they call it, filets nicely into firm white strips of meat. Apparently, the people on Simcoe catch HUGE ones.

IMG_0038.jpg

Here is a herring. It's often mistaken for a whitefish and as far as I know, tastes pretty good. I'm yet to try a full meal of it and I've heard both good and bad about the taste of the meat.

IMG_0043.jpg

The white bass is delicious. I can't wait to catch a few more in the spring in the rivers. These were caught on a jig and minnow.

100_0236.jpg

Here is a Mooneye caught in the Ottawa River by JoeyTier. I've never eaten Mooneye but I have tried Goldeye, which is essentially the same fish but the Goldeye is typically found west of Ontario. Joey caught this guy on a spoon (I think) but fly fishing is the best way to catch mooneye/goldeye.

100_0217-1.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

Great post!!

I love the "other" species.

Thanks for great pictures.

Makes me wonder if anyone here has eaten a burbot? Everyone always seems to reneage when they go to eat one!!LOL

Imagine floating a mooneye under a big float for skies, they even make me hungry!!

I did a close up on another photo... there are some bumps on it's head but I'm not 100% that it's a horny head. The second photo is a photo off the internet of a fallfish. They dont look the same to me.chubcrop.jpg

matt-kennebec-fallfish.jpg

the colour of the eyes and the mouth don't look the same in those two fish in this quote.

They are known but not commonly caught really. Here are some pictures of my "lesser known's"

First are pictures of one of many Bowfin I catch every summer out in Eastern Ont.

j-1.jpg

k-1.jpg

And here is one of a little Gar Pike I caught 3 or 4 years ago.

DSCF0576.jpg

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

They are known but not commonly caught really. Here are some pictures of my "lesser known's"

First are pictures of one of many Bowfin I catch every summer out in Eastern Ont.

And here is one of a little Gar Pike I caught 3 or 4 years ago.

thumbsup_anim.gif Bowfin's are mean lookin'! Ever eat one?

OK, not quite Ontario but most of the species I fished for in the UK are in various bodies of water here apart from these guys - Tench. They're a summer species (they hide in the mud at the bottom of the lake in winter and pretty much hibernate), but they put up a great fight for their size and are very slimy! I think they're a member of the carp family and I wouldn't try and eat one.

tench.jpg

That albino sucker looks like a sucker/koi hybrid!

OK, not quite Ontario but most of the species I fished for in the UK are in various bodies of water here apart from these guys - Tench. They're a summer species (they hide in the mud at the bottom of the lake in winter and pretty much hibernate), but they put up a great fight for their size and are very slimy! I think they're a member of the carp family and I wouldn't try and eat one.

tench.jpg

That albino sucker looks like a sucker/koi hybrid!

At first glance I though you were holding up a smallie lol