Photos of lesser known fish species

Rod Caster

w00t.gif Albino sucker?? what the heck is this thing?

lol, possibly? My son caught it last summer and my response was "what the hell?". A few times a year I take the kids to sucker fish in the rapids, its kinda fun, they put up a great fight and there easy for the kids to catch. But I never seen a sucker colored like this.

Earlier this year, while shore fishing, I had a fish follow me on the shoreline. I assumed it was a sucker? But it was black, and seemed to have pink lips/eyes like lack of pigment in those areas. It was very odd looking. Now in retrospect I wish I had gotten a pic to try and figure out what it was

The first fish looks like a Fallfish to me. The Ontario record Hornyhead Chub is apparently 6.3 inches and that fish is considerably bigger.

Here are a pile of photos from the Credit River.

Fish of the Credit Photo Gallery

While many were not caught angling, they are a pretty good snapshot of many species that anglers don't see regularly, as well as few that most people will recognize.

Jon

The first fish looks like a Fallfish to me. The Ontario record Hornyhead Chub is apparently 6.3 inches and that fish is considerably bigger.

Here are a pile of photos from the Credit River.

Fish of the Credit Photo Gallery

While many were not caught angling, they are a pretty good snapshot of many species that anglers don't see regularly, as well as few that most people will recognize.

Jon

Great photos!

Mine is definitly not a fallfish...the head is quite different and the colors don't match up. Add the bumps on it's head and most likely it's either a huge common shiner or a huge horny head chub... a record maybe?w00t.gif

I go with fallfish as well. Don't be putting too much weight in the tubercule characteristic. Many male minnows, aside from donning bright spawning colours, develop those tubercules on theirs heads. They help keep the female in place during spawning.

Fallfish also get bumps on their heads, known as nuptial tubercles. And although I use colour a lot in my id's, it is not a good id characteristic. Given the location, I'm pretty confident in the Fallfish id. I will send this link to some experts and see what they say.

Jon

Fallfish also get bumps on their heads, known as nuptial tubercles. And although I use colour a lot in my id's, it is not a good id characteristic. Given the location, I'm pretty confident in the Fallfish id. I will send this link to some experts and see what they say.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'm curious about this now. I'll keep my bet on a chub or shiner or sorts since the head shape also seems quite different, almost turtle-like on mine.

The link I posted has an image of a male Fallfish at spawning time.

Fallfish2.jpg

Speil say in isnt so , what do you know about MALE FALLFISH at spawning time , not that there is anything wrong with that .Speil in rubber ducky suit wadeing in admongst all the fallfish , lmao ...

Not that I'm gloating, but the Assistant Curator of Fishes at the Royal Ontario Museum agreed that is a Fallfish.

Keep the uncommon photos coming! It is a nice break from photo after photo of Rainbow Trout, Muskie or Smallies. I really liked the Longnose Sucker in full spawning colour. I've only seen a couple over the years and they both were a drab brown.

Jon

Not that I'm gloating, but the Assistant Curator of Fishes at the Royal Ontario Museum agreed that is a Fallfish.

Keep the uncommon photos coming! It is a nice break from photo after photo of Rainbow Trout, Muskie or Smallies. I really liked the Longnose Sucker in full spawning colour. I've only seen a couple over the years and they both were a drab brown.

Jon

Those Longnose Suckers in all their spawning glory (just for you Bruce ;) ) are quite common and also annoying at times on G'Bay tribs in the spring.

Jon

To me the heads still look different... maybe because it's a northern specimen. I'll side with The Curator however, he knows much more than I. worthy.gif Thanks for the info!

well...these 2 arent lesser known species but interesting to me...

first is a brown trout i caught in the st.lawrence river... a task that not many have done...

P1010319_01.jpg

the second is a 2 tone carp wich is my PB at 36lb12oz... ive caught hundreds and hundreds of carp and only saw this once... kinda cool that its my PB... what are the odds of that...

P5060020.jpg

well...these 2 arent lesser known species but interesting to me...

first is a brown trout i caught in the st.lawrence river... a task that not many have done...

the second is a 2 tone carp wich is my PB at 36lb12oz... ive caught hundreds and hundreds of carp and only saw this once... kinda cool that its my PB... what are the odds of that...

P5060020.jpg

36 lbs????!! That's just insaneworthy.gifclapping.gif

Very cool catch with the brown ... I didn't even know there were browns in the Larry. Unique indeed.

Everyone's favourite friend on a lonely winter's day!

ok i need to know what the heck this thing is ....i caught one of them in Goderich years ago ...at the time i thought i would investigate it ....but never got around to it ...

im glad someone started a fun thread that actually has something to do with fishing ...

Cheers OP!

ok i need to know what the heck this thing is ....i caught one of them in Goderich years ago ...at the time i thought i would investigate it ....but never got around to it ...

im glad someone started a fun thread that actually has something to do with fishing ...

Cheers OP!

Mudpuppy! I catch a few every year on Nipissing or Nosbonsing.

I remember stepping on one as a kid and I FLIPPED out! haha. Mudpuppy's are good at bringing out the "little girl" in everybody.laugh.gif

mudpuppy.jpg