Just my thoughts...

lew

When TJ started this board many years ago he decided not to have seperate pages for non-fishing topics. He liked the idea of having everything on one page.

I've been a member of this board going on 10 years now and in that time this website has had several facelifts and even 2 or 3 name changes but it usually got better and now we have something like 7500 members.

There's always been different folks over the years who have suggested that we have seperate pages for fishing & non-fishing but the powers that be have no intention of changing it.

A rule came into effect several years ago stating that we'll put NF in the title of any thread that isn't about fishing and that way, if your not interested in it, you'll be able to avoid it by not reading it.

Problem is though, people will still read the thread, then start complaining about it because it's not fishing related, even though the title probably indicated just that. Next thing you know, a couple more folks jump on the bandwagon and before you know it, the post has gone completely off topic, down the tube and locked up.

What's interesting to me may not be interesting to you and visa versa. If you don't find a thread interesting, why not just close the post and move onto something else, rather than ruining it for those that are taking part in the thread and enjoying it ?? :dunno:

I have absolutely ZERO interest in some of the stuff posted around here but when I see those subjects I just move onto something more to my liking.

Worst part is guys who post non-fishing things, then complain when somebody else does the exact same thing.

We currently have a music thread with around 1000 replies, there's always talk of hockey and car racing, how do I fix my fridge, my air conditioner is broke, guys posting that they need a job, do you agree with seat belts, raising $$$ to help a member and just about every other topic you can think about.

Always lots of non-fishing stuff to read, or not read.

If you enjoy it, that's good, but if you don't enjoy the topic, why not just move on and not ruin it for those that DO enjoy it

But that's all just my opinion.

Edited by lew

Mornin Lew

I share your opinions.On page 1 of the forum, there are 49 subjects(on my screen) and 21 are NF.Thats about average for this time of year.All are interesting and all reflect the comfort we all feel with eachother.

The most important thing is that we all remain friends in the morningclapping.gif

So, who wants to be my friendwhistling.gif I could use all i can get.blink.gif

Since I apparently ruined the Seat belt thread I will reply.

Most times it's not the guys who make the original comment like my "How did this get to 4 pages" or Wayne's "a fishing one only gets 4 replies", it's the guys who take major offense to it and think that we are against NF posts.

I do the same thing Lew. I pick threads that might be interesting to me whether fishing or non fishing. I skip threads that I don't find interesting. I even go one step further .... I also sort out some threads, by who posts them.

:clapping:

I like the fact that we don't have pages for different topics, next thing you know there would be seperate pages for the different topics. There are plenty of forms available if that is what you are looking for.

I also like the fact that this is a community and we share information on a variety of subjects and opinions with fishing as our common bond. As Lew put it so well, if you don't happen to like the topic, just move on.

Since I apparently ruined the Seat belt thread I will reply.

Most times it's not the guys who make the original comment like my "How did this get to 4 pages" or Wayne's "a fishing one only gets 4 replies", it's the guys who take major offense to it and think that we are against NF posts.

No offence to you personally Dan, but as soon as guys make comments like that is when a post starts the journey down the tube.

Threads often go along nice and smooth, then somebody makes a statement about it and all of a sudden...POOF !!

There's a number of posts that I also just skip over.

But, what may not be of interest to me, may be to others, so that's OK.

Some, you can tell right away they'll head down-hill.

All we need is a single post and down she goes from there.

It's just that first/personal post that we have to try to avoid.

Good Post Lew.

I find this forum runs a tight ship, but do see the odd comment in NF threads that make me wonder why they read it in the first place.

It would be nice to have a separate sub-forum for the NF posts. That said I thoroughly enjoy the ability to post/participate in NF stuff as there are some very smart folks on here willing to give advice on just about anything.

My mom always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Simple respect in my opinion...treat members who post as if you were talking to them face to face.

CLIFF I THINK YOU'RE SUCH A..............................................nice guy :)

Edited by BillM

I agree with Lew completely, I skip 80% of the threads on here because the title has no interest to me.

As for a separate section, no thanks, I can continue to skip over them. I like things the way they are (that makes me sound old, really I am not)

The creator is different, the mods are different, the members are different and the board format is different.

Simply put OFC is outside the norm, some get it and some don't.

Edited by Harrison

The creator is different, the mods are different, the members are different and the board format is different.

Simply put OFC is outside the norm, some get it and some don't.

Actually we only have one "Mod" on the forum.

I'll see if anyone can figure it out....?

I agree 100% Lew. I read the ones that interest me and don't open the ones that don't. I don't want to be going back and forth between a fishing only section and a non-fishing section.

If you don't like the topic, don't open the thread - simple!

My mom always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Simple respect in my opinion...treat members who post as if you were talking to them face to face.

Well said C your Mom knew what was what . Why read and Why post to a thread you have no interest in except to get it locked ,if you guys dont do what I want I will take the ball(thread ) home with me .Just dont open what you dont like , seams so so easy ?????