Protesting

Rizzo

...bingo. That's why I started this thread in the first place. After watching a few people get interviewed I realized I was watching a bunch of lazy people who would rather complain and protest than go out there and work for it. Couldn't even coherently describe their cause or goals. I'm not saying that's true for all the protesters, just the one's they interviewed! If you go out there and work your hardest, making yourself irreplaceable, you will be rewarded. Show up early, stay late, don't complain and keep your nose clean - at a minimum you will lead a comfortable life (financially). The problem is, most people nowadays see how good the previous generation had it and they want it immediately. They never saw the hard work that generation put in to get where they are. They want the lifestyle now, instead of putting in your time, working your way up, getting rewarded, and most importantly, being thankful for what you have, rather than worrying what the other guy's got

YES! Bang on statement .... The way i wanted to put it earyer but was afraid i'd be boo'ed ,so my 2 cents the biggest thing with the colapse of the world economy is that we don't have the yonger generation stepping up to the plate like we did and the others before us . We have no new consumers coming along to keep the cycle going that sustains each and every one of us .

i cant believe some ppl are missing the point!!....the system that have been placed upon us can never work!!!

im no expert but what i believe is this

how can anyone loan us money...by this i mean..who is giving us money in the first place...the IMF??

Ok so the imf gives our goverment a loan at a certain rate...for arguement sake say its 1%...how in the world is one expected to pay for it!!!

think about it..they loan at 1 %..by the time it gets to the consumer its costs us 3.5%...and in many cases alot more

so how is mr.joe blo goin to ever pay for it....

this is just one piece of this broken puzzle...its broken, cracked..humpty dumpty fell off the wall!!

now the powers at be ...and im talking bout the REAL movers and shakers have devised a way that we all must conform too...its called banking!!

imagine if we all went back to paying cash for everything,they wouldnt be able to control as much as they do now

they have us by the short and curlies!!

i think that this protest is a start ....maybe miss directed...but at least the few are speaking

up...

its real scary whats developing round the world.....i think what might happen is major inflation might take place,in order to correct itself

it has too...there is no other out of it

I spent over 20years on Bay St, a big chunk of it dealing with institutions: Investment councilors, Insurances companies, and trust companies. The people with whom I dealt were tightly held to constraints that governed the types of businesses they could invest in, and these people, charged with the responsibility of investing on behalf of others, took, and still take their responsibility very seriously.

Where the astonishing level of malfeasance has taken place in the financial industry has been in the corporate finance space that deals with the fixed-income and attached derivative industry in Canada, and the mortgage lending industry in the US. This is not news. The investment bankers involved have always been paid on profits, and that area of the business represents the final frontier of the industry. It has never been heavily regulated, and the players you're up against are some brilliant individuals. They have stolen from the "Common Man" more times than you know, and under circumstances that most people would have to work for years to understand.

They're not the only industry to have ever done so, and yes, some of them should be in jail.

That said, the protest we see today is so fragmented, and so diluted, that to me, it seems all but pointless.

Now, back to the real issue at hand. In two weeks I'll be back up in Georgian Bay. I'm gonna stop off to see that real good guy who runs Mactier Bait and Tackle, and buy the biggest minnows he has.

Do you think I'll be dealing with turnover by then?

PS,

the Feds pledged and quietly lent about $100 billion to Canadian chartered banks from 2008 through 2010. It's all been paid back.

Edited by backbay

BACKBAY. speaks well with his thoughts. the other things in the protest have become huge issues.

as a canadian do you not wonder how the resources have been sold for pennies.

electricity, oilsands and gases, golds, diamonds. lumber. as this issue seems un-directed its very clear to see mal-content from folks. growing up in the vietnam protest era, this seems to be a loose beginning of people wanting an accountability from goverments and companys..

I never thought this was about not having a job, and not working for what you want...I thought this was about expressing disgust with banks behaving wrecklessly, being bailed out with our money, then going back to their old ways...non?

Exactly

Thisstarted in the US and some key things that are driving are theat they have removed any limits that a PAC (corporate) can donate. Its about the gov't giving money to corporations that in turn now have no limits on money they can give back to the politicans. Many of these banks gave crap mortgages to people there by defaulting and loosing their homes yet these banks get tax payer money (from the folks now homeless) and we still call is capitalism.

do they make the Pete Mania muskie reels with a left hand retrieve?

Some people need to go to big boy school and quit blaming the system for not providing for you. If you don't like the politicians, vote them out. Crying that the world is unfair and hanging out in a park downtown without a clear message will do nothing but waste your (and others') time.

As someone else pointed out, our system (for 30mm people) is one of the very best in the world (amongst a population of 7B) so it can't be *that* bad. Suck it up kids.

its not just about that. if you listen to the organizers that can't even convey a message. there are also other groups protesting for the sake of protesting.

i was listening to charles adler on am640 and he was interviewing a ottawa sun journalist who was at the occupy ottawa protest. one loogan confronted him about not giving them proper attention and respect. the reported then asked the "protester" about his cause and what group he represents. the "protester" identified the group and the journalist who writes the social commentary had never heard of it....he then googled the group and found out that the "protester's" group was a KKK group who's sole mission is to linch everyone who has aids/hiv....those are your protesters....

Charles Adler, Am640 and Sun media....Based on these sources its kind of hard to believe the story to be true.

Can any of you name a bank in Canada that got bailed out by the gov't?

(hint - we didn't bail any out)

The top 1% get off with paying less tax than the bottom 99%?

(hint - that doesn't happen here either...our system is far more progressive, and hte top 1% pays a giant portion of the tax. Top 10% pays more than half of ALL income tax)

The financial system brought down the financial system!!!!

(ours didn't)

I'm a lefty, and even i think the protests are a pointless waste of everyone's time and energy. If anything, those morons are just costing the rest of us more tax $'s to police them.

How do explain this http://www.actionplan.gc.ca/initiatives/eng/index.asp?initiativeID=39&mode=7

Most people don't realize the government did this. I am not saying it was right or wrong but it is like a bailout.

It is a kind of bailout, smaller scale than the US and the assets are of better value but to say there was no bailout is a bit disingenuous.

The most curious aspect (to me) of this whole thing is just how much animosity some people have towards these protestors. If you don't agree with those protests, don't take part in them...problem solved.

-

I feel fairly indifferent about the whole thing. I don't see the point in personally participating, but at the same time, I also don't feel the need to hurl insults at them or question how they spend their free time. If their efforts are pointless and bound to fail, as seems to be the consensus, and they're not hurting anyone, which appears to be the case...why give them a moment of thought, let alone spend time focusing animosity?

Henry Ford once said, “It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.”

It took a while but I guess the secrets out. History does repeat and the old issues become new. Only the scale changes.

It wasn't Reagan that was the S+ L meltdown that was just a drop compared to Bush's effort. W isn't smart enough to think this stuff up but just bear with me. A big effort was pushed to create as many mortgages as possible, 29 states tried to stop it but were shot down by the FED. The DOW rose to 14000 and everyone was happy. When the bubble burst the artificially inflated DOW dropped to 6500. The DOW is at 11000 now which may be low but with the near depression it may not change much for a while. Many lost their good jobs and half of their home's value. Have you found anything to protest yet? I would like to know where all the money went. Just using a rule of thumb that at 10000 the DOW is worth 1 trillion per every 1000 points. So if you were in the know and took advantage of inflating the DOW to 14K is worth ~ 4 trill, selling short (which was just expanded to unlimited during W's years but would have been stopped by anyone with a brain) down to 7K is worth 7 trill and then investing back to DOW 11K would be another 4 trill. Any insider playing it correctly could have had part of the 18 trillion dollars that were to be had. They were just "making markets" according to the CEO of Goldman Sach's talking to the US Congress. Anything to protest yet...

The most curious aspect (to me) of this whole thing is just how much animosity some people have towards these protestors. If you don't agree with those protests, don't take part in them...problem solved.

I haven't paid much attention to the whole Occupy thing going on right now, but at the G20, I couldn't believe how the majority of people attacked the protesters, saying that they deserved to be mass-arrested and held in chicken-sized coups without charge, beaten for no reason, and so forth. I was outraged, as were a handful of others scattered across the country. And sadly, nothing really came of it and most of us moved on.

Apathy... How quickly you overtake.

November 2008

The Wall Street Journal reports that Citibank © has become the latest recipient of a government bailout - this one to the tune of $300 billion

19th October 2011

Citigroup is paying $285m (£180m) to settle civil fraud charges from the Securities and Exchange Commission.

November 2008

The Wall Street Journal reports that Citibank © has become the latest recipient of a government bailout - this one to the tune of $300 billion

19th October 2011

Citigroup is paying $285m (£180m) to settle civil fraud charges from the Securities and Exchange Commission.

...now there's a reason to protest! Unfortunately the clowns I saw interviewed talked nothing of these things...it was more about "I want to have what the 1% have"...and I want the government to give it to me because I'm too busy sleeping in this park hanging out with my friends for a few days

Edited by Rizzo

...now there's a reason to protest! Unfortunately the clowns I saw interviewed talked nothing of these things...it was more about "I want to have what the 1% have"...and I want the government to give it to me because I'm too busy sleeping in this park hanging out with my friends for a few days

I've seen a few interviews and haven't heard anyone say, "I want what the 1% have"...so I guess you're paraphrasing, to put it lightly. Regardless, I suppose if a reporter was so inclined (say if he/she was mandated by their bosses to do so) it wouldn't be impossible for them to go down to one of these events and find an ill-informed participant or two to provide just the right sound bite. It would be no different than going to a "Tea Party" demonstration and finding an idiot that makes the rest look bad, except that would probably be a lot easier. I certainly haven't seen the wide range of hilarious spelling mistakes on placards from this bunch. Nor have I seen the kind of outrage towards them and their attempt to affect change through assembly.