Towing Capacity - Colorad

zeeter

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a new truck. I currently have a S10 4x4 which is nearing 400,000 k's. It's been a great truck, but it's old and I'm getting killed on gas. I'm looking into getting a colorado/canyon. 4x4 is a must; I really like the z71 models. They have the inline 5 cyl. and a 4 cyl., not interested in the 8 cyl.

My boat is a 167 Princecraft pro with weight in total (including motor, battery etc.) a max of 1100 pounds. Would a 4 cyc. Colorado be able to tow my boat?

I'm really trying to limit my gas money - like everyone else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Zeeter

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a new truck. I currently have a S10 4x4 which is nearing 400,000 k's. It's been a great truck, but it's old and I'm getting killed on gas. I'm looking into getting a colorado/canyon. 4x4 is a must; I really like the z71 models. They have the inline 5 cyl. and a 4 cyl., not interested in the 8 cyl.

My boat is a 167 Princecraft pro with weight in total (including motor, battery etc.) a max of 1100 pounds. Would a 4 cyc. Colorado be able to tow my boat?

I'm really trying to limit my gas money - like everyone else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Zeeter

Looks like it will just fine after looking at the specs.

Go with auto trans and you get between 2,900#'s and 3,400#'s tow rating on the 2.9L I4 equipped model.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I had a 2006 Colorado 5 cylinder 2wd and it towed my 18 foot Springbok with a 150 fine. Getting out of some steeper launches that were gravel was iffy at best. I wished I had the 4wd.

The 5 was fine on gas, but I was never able to get the advertised gas mileage, well under for that matter. That was a fairly new engine in 2006 from what I remember, so maybe they have made in-roads in fuel consumption since then.

not to bust the "New Truck" bubble ...But......It's an Isuzu I series..

I stood behind a parts counter for a while and the negativity coming from Colorado/Canyon owners was aweful!!

Not to mention the $ was more to repair... Brakes .. Drivetrain.. Suspension..

VS

Ranger

B4000

Explorer

Tacoma

4 Runner

Nissan D P/U 4x4

Pathfinder..

Dakota

Durango

IMHO......... your market is endless ... shop around.

Randy

:canadian:

Are you factoring in the trailer as well?? I think you are closer to 2000lbs fully loaded. Small pickups will do you fine. Even a small SUV. Also, the extended GM minivans will pull 3500lbs. I get 27-29mpg (us) on the highway with mine using a light foot.

never owned one, or towed with one, but drove one as a work truck for a while. got terrible mileage and nobody liked driving them. they made terrible work trucks couldnt hold squat or handle heavy loads. we asked too much of them im sure but when they went back to full size they saved money on gas. the 4cyl colorado was something i would only drive if my boss made me...

kinda cool looking, personally i think my tacoma is twice the truck but costs alot more ( and everybody thinks what they drive is the best or they'd have to admit they should have shopped further).

trucks will never acheive advertised mileage its an EPA rating and seems to be pulled from a hat. if you beleive those ratings a fullsize chevy could drive to thunder bay on a single tank when in reality cant get to north bay :dunno:

i considered buying the smallest truck possible to pull my boat but came to the conclusion i wouldn't be happy with the decision..maybe my wallet (or my ego) is bigger than my brain..

I like the look and suspension with the colorado.

I just worked with a guy that had the colorado Z71 4 cylinder (its a big 4)

He was very happy with it but did mention that a new full size would cost him about 60$ less per month??

Its year end time for the auto dealers so insentives will be sweet for those looking at a new truck.

WORTH taking the time to check out.

Any body checked out or have the ecoboost that ford is pushing??

i get the colarado/canyons in my bays ok trucks get mixed reviews if you do buy one brakes can be expensive with the captive rotors and i find them cramped inside but they are overall a better truck in comfort ride and issues over the s10 they replace,

Will this truck only see weekend boat towing duty or are you commuting with it as well? generally the z-71 trucks get worse gas mileage then regular 4x4 as they are equipped with lower gears,overall there is a lot of choice in this segment the toyota is a good choice but it is pricy and no better on fuel than anything else, most of my customers like the ford escapes, flexes ect, new truck for me is gonna be another gmc extended cab with the 5.3 v8 it has the cylinder cut technology and i spend most of my time on hwy's anyway get's very good mileage when not towing, when towing they all stink

I drive about 2.5-3.5 hrs .per day Loaded with tools(600 pounds)?

I NEED a pickup or van that is reasonable on gas and maitenence.

4X4 would be nice :thumbsup_anim:

I work mainly in Toronto but spend most of my time north of GTA.

Moving back up to Alliston December.

any ideas?

I drive about 2.5-3.5 hrs .per day Loaded with tools(600 pounds)?

I NEED a pickup or van that is reasonable on gas and maitenence.

4X4 would be nice :thumbsup_anim:

I work mainly in Toronto but spend most of my time north of GTA.

Moving back up to Alliston December.

any ideas?

Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 EPA 30MPG Hwy.

Maybe try a V6 ford F150 or other V6 full size models. It'll take your loads much better and won't strain as much. I bet the dealers are giving those away right now. As most have said, the four might leave you wanting more and the small truck V6/I5's are not great on gas.I wish they brought the australian/south american trucks our way.

I have the B4000 and get 600kms Max on a 70litre tank, 100 percent highway. Send me to latchford for some back roading and that cuts to 450. I've driven the colorados before and they feel cheaper than even the Ranger twins.