Bait making

Roy

Hearing about all these large baits on the board made me think that perhaps some of us might want to talk about this stuff. Whether you make your own baits or not . Whether they be large or small, wood, plastic, poured baits,wire baits, terminal tackle...whatever. It's a decent pastime for those days when you can't get out for whatever reason. I've got some on the go right now. These are mainly large baits between 9" and 14"...still have finishing touches, lips and hardware to do on these. They're all weighted and will run between 5' and 15'. 033.jpg 017.jpg 019.jpg 020.jpg 021.jpg 022.jpg 025.jpg 027.jpg 030.jpg Hope we can all share tips and tricks. Thanks.

I'm IMPRESSED ....very nice work. :thumbsup_anim:

I make my own walleye/crappie/bass Bucktail jigs but that's about it...... When I was younger I was really into it....making hundreds during the winter and selling them to local bait shops....use to go to several deer processing places for the tails every year....never had trouble selling them...they kept me busy and my wallet full of gas/beer/bait money.

Again NICE JOB Roy,

Bob

Amazing looking baits Roy!!!!

It's funny you put this thread up today. I went for some shore walleye fishing, and the river is just cluttered with fallen leaves/branches. So, after a few nice smallies, I decided to rig up something for the walleye that wouldn't have me pulling leaves off after every cast. Turns out, worked amazing, at least for today. Went 8/8 in a little over an hour on the walleye.

I'm sure it's nothing novel, but it is to me, check it out. This one is rigged with a Berkley bait. The one that landed all the walleye was rigged with a 4" black shad berkley Gulp minnow.

Never got any snags, even fishing the rock side. No weeds nor leaves at all, I'm really liking this rig for the fall! thumbsup_anim.gif

oct072011034.jpg

Thanks a lot guys.

That's a good rig, Manitou. There's really no need to conform to what everyone else is using. Try different things and if it works for you, as Lew would say, it's just another tool in the toolbox. A lot of folks here make some really nice stuff.

I don't build baits Roy, but I'll sometimes repaint them if I don't find the original colors working the way I want.

Here's a few I've repainted but there's nothing fancy, but then again, I've never found muskies to be too fussy when their hungry :lol:

You can also see the black spots on top of some of the baits where I've removed the rattles and epoxyed over the holes.

BumbleBee Double "D" in the bottom pic turned out to be one of my best producers, so it's often worth re-doing a bait if it's not working.

004.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg