Fisherman missing :(

walleyejack

Yep, all someone has to do is loose their balance (have a dizzy spell, get light headed, rogue wave) once and fall in on a windy day that moves the boat away. The nuke plant is fairly busy water too but it looks like that was not much of a safety net.

not that I fish the big lakes but the rope thing is a good idea, does it get in the way?

makes me think about keeping the 2-way attached to me.

I caught myself one too many times loading the rigger standing on my boarding platform.. realizing that hydraulic steering wasn't coming back for me when I slipped off... and I can't swim at 2 mph!

10 foot mooring rope tied to my belt attached on the rear cleat. Lets me get to the steering wheel. If I fall off...I either get dragged 'till I drown or pull myself back on board. Either way family gets me back !

Years of wearing a fresh air hood with hose attached has me programmed for not getting the rope twisted up and wrapped around my feet.

Edited by irishfield

toronto star link

An Oshawa man is missing after an empty boat was found in Ashbridges Bay this morning around 5 a.m.

The boat was found about two kilometres south of Ashbridges Bay, and the owner of the boat is missing, said Staff Sgt. Paul Scudds with Toronto Police 55 Division.

The boat is a 16-foot aluminum fishing boat with a small motor. Police are trying to determine how many people may have been on board the boat which left the Whitby marina sometime after 6 p.m. on Friday.

A grid search for the missing man is being conducted between Ashbridges Bay, on Toronto’s waterfront, and Oshawa. Trenton Search and Rescue, Durham Marine Unit, Pickering and Ajax Rescue Unit (PARU), and COMRA (City of Oshawa’s Marine Rescue Association) are involved in the search.

This was a misfortune for the person that went missing on saturday. I heard the call from prescott this morningsad.gif There was another in my vicinity while trolling that was stranded, two on board a vessel stranded. I heard the replies to assist them.thumbsup_anim.gif

I was ready to go without hesitation. To all here on OFC , if im out there, I will assist in any manner possible.Ive been there and its not fun at all. And I listen in.

For some of you guys for future reference. Bronte harbour has had a call out for assistace, a charter captain from another board did assist untill the ccg arrived, venturing out of port weller. Time of arrival within1.25 hrs.

Half way in between there is another 2 vessels that should of assisted, and should of been on alertmad.gif

Sorry for my little rant.

man that worries me as i know so many fishermen from all the years i have fished lake o,and from the years of charter boat fishing....man this is not going to have a good ending !!! things sure happen fast out there....if anyone hears anything please post asap

I hear ya, I've made a couple phones calls as well. There is a handfull of guys I know that would be heading to the nuke for a night fish launching out of Whitby.

I never saw the lake, but an east wind like Bill said, is a bad wind for that area. I mean bad. The cross current at the nuke is insane with an east wind. Still crossing my fingers.

i went down to the ajax waterfront on my lunch hour big waves rolling in from southwest !!! and the durham police boat and a marine unit were about 1 mile offshore driving around ....they are looking for him but its not good,im so worried i know who it is....i cant say the name till i find out i have made a few calls,to confirm but i cant nobody answeres the phone i am worried big time....

i went down to the ajax waterfront on my lunch hour big waves rolling in from southwest !!! and the durham police boat and a marine unit were about 1 mile offshore driving around ....they are looking for him but its not good,im so worried i know who it is....i cant say the name till i find out i have made a few calls,to confirm but i cant nobody answeres the phone i am worried big time....

Shawn...is he 42 years old from Oshawa? That's what the news said this morning....

From what I heard on the radio(vhf) this morning, they are still searching from my understanding. sad.gif

I kept thinking about it today while fishing in an area. Seeing something floating around, I dread it esp if it looks our worst fears. Even the life jacket that I found 6 miles out last week in the shore shores.

I hope the person is found soon.

But I do fear the worst unfortunitly.sad.gif

Shawn...is he 42 years old from Oshawa? That's what the news said this morning....

Cliff, they say they found the owners truck and trailer,so Im guessing they know who it is,just no names. Very sad.Not seeing a happy ending here,and to Shawn,I hope you are wrong. Feel for you. Not good knowing and waiting.

Cliff, they say they found the owners truck and trailer,so Im guessing they know who it is,just no names. Very sad.Not seeing a happy ending here,and to Shawn,I hope you are wrong. Feel for you. Not good knowing and waiting.

Yeah Brian...just hoping his friend isn't 42...put Shawn's mind at ease...

AS of 6:15 it appears they have called off the search. So sad, but it is a big body of water. From 680 News website:

Home News Local Search ended for 42-year-old Oshawa boater missing in Lake Ontario

ShareText: A A Search ended for 42-year-old Oshawa boater missing in Lake Ontario

The Canadian Press Sep 12, 2011 18:16:12 PM

0 TORONTO - Durham regional police say authorities have concluded search and rescue operations for a boater missing in Lake Ontario.

Search and rescue officers from Trenton, the Durham police marine unit and other officers searched the waters and shoreline on Monday.

Police say no trace was found of the missing 42-year-old Oshawa man and the investigation will remain open as a missing persons case.

Police believe the boater launched his five-metre aluminum fishing boat from the public launch in Whitby on Friday evening.

Late Saturday afternoon, Toronto police found an empty boat floating about two kilometres south of Ashbridges Bay.

The missing boater's truck and trailer were found in Whitby at the harbour and members of his family have been notified

This is very sad. There is still a chance for a positive outcome. My fingers are crossed!

There is always a chance but

I read that the search was called off and he has been missing for almost 3 days.

Lake Ontario is a cold lake even in the hot summer and can claim even the most skilled and prepared.

There is always a chance that he does not want to be found. It has been done before.

I hope they find him somewhere out there, cold and shivering but alive. If the waves were steep and the wave period really short, it'd be an uphill battle not taking in water though.

Speaking of pfd's. How many have a minimalist ditch kit in theirs ? I used to keep three small signal flares and an emergency space blanket in my old pfd. Current one has a whistle on a zinger, a Spyderco knife (can be opened one handed) and if I remember to pack it , a small waterproof flashlight and firestarter. For whitewater runs in the spring/fall and winter, a few more things make the trip.