My first SKI!!!!

mattp33

I had some time off so I took a day trip up to pigeon lake last week. The plan was to get my first muskie and it WORKED!clapping.gif I was casting for a few hours before I stumbled upon this guy/girl. I have never seen something like it. I saw him following all the way to the boat, as soon as the lure changed direction during my figue 8, WHAM! FISH ON I yelled (I was the only one in the boat!rofl2.gif ) Talk about a green fish at boat side! Not huge by anymeans but its a first! Then I got this bass on muskie gear, he didn't stand a chance!

kawarthalakes2011081700.jpg

galwaycavendishandharve.jpg

By mattp33 at 2011-08-25

By mattp33 at 2011-08-25

Way to go!! Muskie are tough to get in many bodies of water! I fish in waters that are frequented by ski's but i have only ever got one, even though i often throw 6" cranks and 1oz spinnerbaits for pike. I am targeting muskie next week while camping.

I got a good deal on it as I fot a bunch of bass rods at the same time. I want to hunt these guys more so I figured if I get something that should last me a lifetime its worth the extra coin!

What a rush these lunge are! I had no idea!

rofl2.gif

First thing that came to my mind as i was fighting it, was that little tachobell dog saying, ''I think i need a bigger box''blink.gif

Good to see you got the rite tackle for the job too. Its easier on both you and the fish.

Congrats on your first ski!!! It's a beauty fish. I'll never forget feeling that first hit either...it's an adrenaline rush for sure!

Edit: My first targeted ski that is...caught a tiny one throwing a crank bait for pike on Nipissing before targeting them.

Edited by ccmt

Congrats - the first one is really satisfying

That looks just like my first musky - I was out on the lake just about dark and everyone in the bay must have heard me hoot and holler

and ya - nice rod

Thanks guys I think I got the bug now! I cant believe how much these darn baits cost tho! I am trying to build a goto box. All I got is a couple big bucktails a used suick from a friend and 2 believers, I can see myself spending a lot of $$$ to buy stuff that may or may not catch anything. Any recomendation would help. I dont wanna go too crazy on lures but I think I need a few more to deal with different conditions.

BTW My first came on an old chewed up believer a friend gave me.

And...how do you guys feel about the boga grip? Should I be using a cradle or net? I am more that often alone in the boat so a net may be tricky. (but so was the boga)

Congrats on the musky, the 1st one is always the hardest to catch.

I'd highly recommend a proper musky net instead of the Boga. A bit awkward by yourself at 1st but you'll get the hang of it after a couple fish.

And...how do you guys feel about the boga grip? Should I be using a cradle or net? I am more that often alone in the boat so a net may be tricky. (but so was the boga)

You could have grabbed him behind the gill plates being that size. I'm not a fan of the boca grip to be honest (for any species).

If you want more muskies Pigeon is the place to go. Good for you on hooking one.

Putting those little Pigeon muskies flat on a carpeted floor is perhaps most detrimental to them as you remove their protective slime. Boga grips also tend to extend their vertabrae causing further problems despite hammering big hooks in them for capture.

A big musky net or cradle and leaving the fish in water while removing hook helps a lot.

Good luck in the future. :Gonefishing: