Muskie Fishing on a spinning reel and medium rod

SirWhite

Was wondering if there is a way to beef up my three spinning combos for a September Muskie Rally with the guys. Was thinking to change from a mono line to some kind of braided so I can beef up the strength gear. Does this make sense? Ive also so heard braided line on a spinning reel has many drawbacks. I just want to not worry about missing "that" fish.

Anyone have answers

Noobie needs adviceuntitled88 (Medium).JPG

Was wondering if there is a way to beef up my three spinning combos for a September Muskie Rally with the guys. Was thinking to change from a mono line to some kind of braided so I can beef up the strength gear. Does this make sense? Ive also so heard braided line on a spinning reel has many drawbacks. I just want to not worry about missing "that" fish.

Anyone have answers

Noobie needs adviceuntitled88 (Medium).JPG

Your combo is rated for a certain lb test so thats the limit. You can catch muskie on lighter gear but that means extended fighting time which will either end up in a very tired near death fish or a terminal tackle fail with the muskie swimming away with your bait in his mouth. Either way I would not recommend targeting muskie with a spinning outfit unless it was rated at least medium to heavy action /17 to 20 lb

I have herd stories of people getting pulled around in their cannoe and stripped of all their line because they caught an incidental muskie while pickerel fishing with lighter tackle. Would hate to see you lose the big one you worked so hard for.

The Pete Maina reels (Muskie Angler) are decent for the price point. For someone just getting into muskie fishing, you already have a great rod, save a few bucks on the reel for now and focus on release tools. I helped some clowns out on Pigeon lake last year that had a small pair of rusty pliers and no net, the muskie was hooked and when it thrashed with buddie's hand near it's mouth, two trebles deep hooked his hand, they had no way of cutting the hook and his fingers were a couple of inches from the muskie's mouth. I helped them out and cut the hook off the lure so buddy could get his hand away from the fish and cut the one treble that went right through his hand, the other was his problem (I told him to head straight to the hospital), and cut the hook out of the poor muskie's mouth (by this time it was either dead or too late to do anything for it). For my troubles, the wind blew us up against the rocks on the western side of Big Island and my boat scraped up against them, $600 in damage to the gel coat. There won't be a next time for me to help out guys who aren't prepared. I'm still PO'd about it and will be for a long time.

Take it from another Musky Noob.I caought my first, with the help of Musky Mike, an expert.It was only a 42 incher, but if i was using my setup instead of his, i would have lost both fish and equipment.

This fish fights like nothing i have ever caught before.It requires a minimum MH to H rod and reel setup.

If you will be targeting them often, invest in equipment made to handle them.Its surprisingly inexpensive to get a good combo for Musky.

Good luck, and get ready for some trippinclapping.gif

Even if you're just going for one weekend of musky fishing....don't risk your tackle or the fish's well-being....nothing wrong with having a new combo....and if you decide it's not for you, sell it on the board. Difference between what you spent and what you sell it for = tackle rental fee

Thanks for the advice guys. I did kinda figure id need new equipment. But I never even thought about the impact id have on the fish!

gonna change up for sure.

Just been on a spinning combo all my fishing life and at 33 Im not sure if Baitcast rod/reel is something I can pick up right away (ive heard some horror stories)

Is it unwise to change reels before a big fishing weekend? is it really that hard to switch from spinning to baitcasting?

at 33 Im not sure if Baitcast rod/reel is something I can pick up right away (ive heard some horror stories)

Sadly SirWhite, that's an impression FAR too many folks have when they think they'd like to try a baitcaster. It's simply another tool in the box, and with a little bit of practice you'll be casting with no problems before you know it.

Just a tool, a very simple tool, and nothing more.

Go ahead and buy one and enjoy. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the advice guys. I did kinda figure id need new equipment. But I never even thought about the impact id have on the fish!

gonna change up for sure.

Just been on a spinning combo all my fishing life and at 33 Im not sure if Baitcast rod/reel is something I can pick up right away (ive heard some horror stories)

Is it unwise to change reels before a big fishing weekend? is it really that hard to switch from spinning to baitcasting?

Baitcasting can be a little to get used to, but it is far better for heavier applications, and given the heavy weight of most muskie lures you should not have much of an issue with birds-nests as long as you keep the brakes tight on it, and hey if you are trolling you will have no issues at all, just let the line out behind the boat!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i learned to cast a baitcaster when i was 11 years old... it might take you a spool of line to get it, but it's really not that bad.

and others have said, medium tackle is possible, but risky and unethical.

having the right equipment is the way to go

however

I fish for muskie every year and I use the right equipment........but somehow I catch most of my muskie on light spinning rods

if they don't bit me off in the first couple of seconds

I almost always get the in the boat fairly fast..

now I do use 20/ 30lb braid on my reel but I do not tighten up the drag..you can easily burn out the reel

what I do in the case of a big fish is put my finger on the spool to stop it from spinning and pull back on the rod

then quickly take up the slack with the reel with my finger off..then repeat till the fish is in the boat

use the rod and not the reel

but if you are targeting muskie get the right stuff for the job

I learned Baitcaster at 55 so whats the big dealdunno.gif It is always good to know how to use the different tools available to us. It\ll take you a day of pratcice, and you will be an expert. Go for it for your sake and the Musky's tooGonefishing.gif

I have a custom spinning rod Spiel built for me rated 10-17lb's.

VERY fast action as well as light and sensitive.

I run a 4000 Sustain on it with 30lb braid for large pike and have never had an issue.

I'll run baits as heavy as 11/2oz with this rod, nothing heavier.

In my opinion, in all but the most specific type of musky fishing, fishing where stout rods and larger baits are an essential ingredient, a lighter setup is more than adequate.

I'm certainly not in the same class of musky angler as many on this board, but I used to be into it pretty hardcore and have caught a few goliaths.

In my experience the bigger muskies all came in pretty easily LOL!

Set the hook, a couple runs here, another run there, and bam they're boatside in the cradle.

Without offending the sensibilities of the hardcore musky guys, the power of these fish is way overblown.

The super heavy tackle comes in play when the presentation requires it, not because of the strength of the fish.

In most waters a 11/2oz black/orange bucktail and a well built med/hvy spinning combo with 30lb braid will serve you well.

That is a strange setup for Muskie. I would not say it is unethical but is a bit irresponsible or maybe jerky like:

-a couple of hundred yards of stripped braid in lake = bad

-snapped in half rod because you were using braid on a light rod = bad

-big musky that takes forever to cpr (if it can be) = bad

-other Musky guys pointing and whispering about your setup = bad (who cares, they are musky guys)

-busted rod because the med will not throw or troll the large baits without eventually breaking = bad

-everyone waiting forever for you to bring in the big fish = bad

I think SoloPaddler is dead on. There are a lot of Muskie nuts who say nothing less than 100 lb braid and a telephone pole guy for a leader blah blah blah.....

Get your lure weight/type in line with the rod capabilities.

If the rally has problem with that they should have set out rules on equipment like some tournaments do for the boats used.

So is a 7ft MH Compre paired with a Currado 300E a good setup?dunno.gif

if it's a muskie rod, it's fine. a muskie MH rod is a different animal than a bass MH rod. The 300 is more than adequate and many guys like them for muskie fishing

size of lures is one thing as is the size of the fish you're going after. if you're fishing a body of water with 10-15lb snakes you should have little issue catching them on bass gear. if you're fishing water with 30,40lb fish be prepared for heartbreak.

Edited by Raf