Muskie Fishing on a spinning reel and medium rod

SirWhite

Most times in a post like this I can ussually find a joke or at least some silly thing to say . But I find this time I cant , Mike Terry is a great guy and has given good advise on this board for years , not the guy you want to fight with , he has said he agrees with you just not the meathod you are useing to convay your message .Before this gets locked ,muskie guys steelhead guys bass guys etc etc all love the fish they go after , lets just leave this at "IF YOU GO AFTER BIG FISH YOU SHOULD USE BIG TACKLE "no law says you have to , but if you want a chance to win your muskie rama , step up the gear . Hope I have not steped on any toes . Bruce

is this really the way to argue about muskie fishing

they came running out at me without me being able to identify them, and it could have turned nasty

and I wasn't breaking the law

but go for it this help your position

heck you have convinced me..

oh wait I already say I agree I just don't think putting down people on this website to push your agenda is

the way to go

but go fir it you also have the right to voice that opinion

I'm not trying to get on your bad side Terry... Just proving a point... The Mnr had every right legally to do what

they did... And like you said... It could have got nasty... If the op targets musky with light tackle... It can get nasty very fast...

This is a fishing site... We should all be on the same page as far as treating fish with respect...

Most times in a post like this I can ussually find a joke or at least some silly thing to say . But I find this time I cant , Mike Terry is a great guy and has given good advise on this board for years , not the guy you want to fight with , he has said he agrees with you just not the meathod you are useing to convay your message .Before this gets locked ,muskie guys steelhead guys bass guys etc etc all love the fish they go after , lets just leave this at "IF YOU GO AFTER BIG FISH YOU SHOULD USE BIG TACKLE "no law says you have to , but if you want a chance to win your muskie rama , step up the gear . Hope I have not steped on any toes . Bruce

Bruce, i have admired you from afar for a long time, and it is advise like this, that strengthens my admiration for you.

Excellent point you just made. Spoken from a wise man, having lived a wise life.

Thanks for trying to re-orient this topic, as it is potentially a very interesting and important topic.

Paul

I'm not trying to change ehg s mind... That train is long gone... I just don't think he should be saying bass gear is ok for musky fishing to a noob...

Buddy, re-read the post.

I recommended that the OP doesn't use medium bass spinning gear for targeting musky.

Then mentioned that i use Medium-Heavy(Carolina-rigging) gear for Kawartha musky which i find personally more than adequate enough for the endless 32-40 inch muskies i catch. Thats all.

I didn't go against anyone else's recommendations which were all fine.But, 100 lb test and heavy musky gear seems like overkill for the Kawarthas exclusively.

Please don't personally attack me for nothing. Have contributed here for many, many years for many species and techniques successfully. Thanks :Gonefishing:

Edited by ehg

the MNR has the right to go to your fly in lake in street cloths and check you... but you didnt seem to impressed about that situation...

And I have the right(to beat them down for approching with threatening gesture with out properly

identify themselfs)of self defence.

And what does this have to do with anything????

I've caught almost every Musky in my life on light equipment and never had a problem with them running much or being tired at the side of the boat. How bad it could be to target them for a weekend without the right gear? I know there's the odd monster out there and you need to respect those fish and try to do what you can to make sure they go back unharmed but chances are he's not going to be getting into monsters throwing bass baits at them for a weekend imo.

Now if your thinking about throwing larger baits that's a whole other subject. When I got my first musky rod I thought a 4oz max rating was over kill. Not quite!!! lol. I still worry about the tip snapping off during a back lash... and the pull some of those baits have is unreal and is enough to max out any mh or probably heavy bass rod.