for the hunters

rylan

There was no stalking, no challenge to the harvest considering the obvious skill of the shooter, and if he had missed the vitals, there would be little if any chance for a humane recovery.

As for getting the kids involved, all he did was show off his skill with a firearm, not his skill at camoflauge and tracking. The child learned nothing of the thrill of the hunt.

This is just my opinion, you have yours.

Personally, I wouldn't be jumping all over this guy. Camera angles can be very deceiving.

This week I was out on Simcoe with 2 customers from work. It got really! choppy, so I had to head in. When i got the boat on shore, I was very very very happy that my feet where on asphalt. So I took quick video of the waves.. I showed my wife, and the basically called me a Pu....sy. Mean time, I was inches from being swamped in my 14' tinner..

You really would have had to be there to judge this guy. For all we know, that was a 4 to 500 meter shot. No problem for a experienced shooter. As for his daughter. That's the kind of hunt I would bring a young child on.. You don't want to bring them ona deep woods bush whack where their going to get destroyed by bugs, and be traumatized for life..

What do I know... I'm not a moose hunter.

I doubt the video.. but even a 30-06 is well within range with a good scope at 1100 yards (3300 feet). Why you never target practice without a back stop !!!

30-06 Springfield (180 gr SP BT)

Muzzle Velocity 2700 ft/s

Maximum Range 5675 yard, 3.22 mile

Impact Velocity 800 ft/s

It's doable, although I think he'd be pointing at the moon for an 1100 yd shot with a 30-06. At 500, a 30-06 will drop just shy of 36 inches. There was another video of another guy dropping a coyote at that distance. The best live shot I've made is 420yds with a 165gr 30-06.

I think it a fake...first look carefully at the background behind the moose before the shot. There is a fairly high gravel embankment. Afterwards, when he is beside the moose, you can see the sun low and through the trees. The biggest issue though is watch the moose go down...rear end first, then lays down on its left side. At the end of the video the moose is laying on its right side. Hmmmm, don't think he and his 2 year old rolled it over for the camera shot.

Dave

Not an ethical shot.

If it wasn't a kill shot, the chance for recovery would be very unlikely.

I agree 100%. from that range there is SOOOO much room for error and missing. If your "hunting" you should always shoot to kill.

Total fake guys. Watch the zoom out frame by frame and you will see one of the moose on the left side of the frame will disappear before the zoom out. Total Bull fake.

Its also more than 1100m across that lake. Fake on sooooo many levels.

I think the ethics of that shot are for everyone to decide for themselves based on their shooting ability. As for no stalking and no challenge to the hunt, I myself don't see much of an appeal for hunting like that, but it's illogical to say that hunting must necessarily happen in a challenging fashion. What about stocked fish ponds?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEcJIDPnsY?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEcJIDPnsY?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEcJIDPnsY?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>