Postal Strike . . . . .

Photoz

I took a union (GOV) job so I would have good benefits and pension and sick days

I took a big cut in pay to take the job

but the benefits and security made it worth while...if they try to screw with mine I would go on strike and why not it's money in the bank that was fought for and won

why would some one not be pissed about taking a big cut.......

Hey I don't blame any of you guys one bit for being pissed.Perhaps they shouldn't take anything away at all and drive the company into the ground? Would the federal government bail them out? No offence Terry, but at some point things will have to change, yes even in the government. Its a shame but instead if taking away sick days they should let all senior members have them but the line should be drawn here and now..Its simple, use them or loose them at the end of the year. I know guys that have over a years worth of sick days banked for retirement..That IMO is just wrong.. I'm not to sure how this will work out but I do know that Canada Post will drive a huge thick spike in the lid of the metaphorical coffin with another walkout..

The Post Office has made money for the last dozen years or more. And the sick time does not get payed out when you retire if you have 300 days banked they give you a nice hand shake and show you the door, absolutely nothing for them. They were always considered like insurance, to bank them in case someone broke a leg or got seriously sick.

We never got sick days...if you are sick, you can take the day off without pay but you have to have a note from the doctor...that can be hard to do when you work in a 24hr 365day industry...try to get to your doctor an a sunday....If the posties strike i won't miss the bills but don't mess with my Ontario Out of Doors.....

Shaking my head...sorry you will be out of a job Photoz...but I can't support any Unions striking. Canada Post being no different than the rest. This could be the worse thing they could do, Canada Post is becoming more and more irrelevant as time passes. I would be impacted in no way if all mail delivery stopped. Bills could be sent electronically, packages delivered via courier, magazine subs electronically, etc.

Imagine going to your employer and threatening to strike for (insert rediculous wage increase/benefit unheard of in the last decade to the rest of the real working world), they would laugh and show you the door! rofl2.gif

I have worked for the CNR, the CIBC ,and now the City of Toronto, I have seen both sides of this issue. Everyone who does the same job in a union gets the same pay, but at the bank ,those who kissed the most a-- , got "merit" increases each year. So you may be doing the same job, the same way, but could earn many dollars less. The bank was by far the most unfair employer. Also I have a friend who was in managment at Canada Post for 28 years , he was let go last year before he could reap the rewards of a great pention plan, CP did it just to save money.(his).

Edited by fishermccann

NOBODY I work with WANTS to go out, but if we screw around enough with these useless 'hit & run' tactics long enough and really PISS off Canada Post, they'll just shut 'er all down, the wait and see who runs outta money first? I think I know who that'll be, eh? The part of this whole exercise in futility I hate the most . . .. playing 'ring-around-the-burning-trash-barrel' on a hot summer day! Just stinking lovely!

I could care less if they strike.

Unions are learning the hard way that their days are numbered, they are useless. They have taken things way too far and companies are starting to take a stand. It's about time.

As far as I am conserned Canada post (well, their union anyway) has written their own obituary.

For years we were held hostage. We had to pay what ever they dictated and be satisified with the service they offered. Their lack of service and costs involved necissated something better.

Then came Telex. That was a quick method of getting information from one place to another but it had it's limitations.

Next it was fax, again a big improvement, now you could send digital images, only in black and white but better than waiting a couple of days for the post office to deliver them (if they ever got there) and it was less expensive.

Now using email or text messaging we can send almost any information we want back and forth in seconds at very little or no cost. All these other systems were derived out of necessity!

No wonder Canada Post is going down the tubes. Think about it; you give customers less than state of the art service, charge them more than they need to pay, and tell them they can like it or lump it? Instead they should have been on the leading edge of delivering these services. Oh but wait the union wouldn't go for that, it might take mailmen (persons) off the streets and force them to work in offices developing software or doing customer support. Can't have that!!!!

Sorry but that is the way of the world, if I don't like what you are offering, I will find an alternative.

About the only thing that gets delivered to my mail box anymore is junk mail (oh wait, Canada Post delivers that) so should they be called mailmen or junkmen?

BTW, no disrespect is ment to any Canada Post employees, you have a job, and you do it, Kudos to you! i know several and they are all good people.

I do have one more question though; who voted in the union in the first place and why?

Could it have been for more money, benefits, a nice retirement package? Could it have been greed?

It is a long time in coming but I think that your union has just priced you out of a job or will in the near future!

Edited by Big Cliff

I am glad that the Bits got there before Opener everyone that has placed orders over the last couple weeks have received there baits as well as the used baits I had sold, but feel bad for the others that ordered this week I will be checking prices on fedX and others to see if it is worth the time.

My sister works for the post office and is making huge $$$ in my books and hers also it's $24+/hr and she is a office manager yep passes out stamps and takes packages and stands around a lot I would say that's some great $$$ for the job. She voted to NOT STRIKE as she needs the $$$ but will be forced out if others vote to strike.

Not effecting my household, except for my gas, hydro and phone bills not getting through.

I can feel for the postal union members. Who the hell wants to lose what was fought for in past contract negotiations?

However, dropping the starting pay to $18 and hour from the current $23 an hour does makes the me shake my head and wallbash.gif because there are a whole lot of underpaid workers and unemployed who would stand in line for hours or days to have the opportunity to get one of those jobs.

Best of luck Photoz.

As far as I am conserned Canada post (well, their union anyway) has written their own obituary.

For years we were held hostage. We had to pay what ever they dictated and be satisified with the service they offered. Their lack of service and costs involved necissated something better.

Then came Telex. That was a quick method of getting information from one place to another but it had it's limitations.

Next it was fax, again a big improvement, now you could send digital images, only in black and white but better than waiting a couple of days for the post office to deliver them (if they ever got there) and it was less expensive.

Now using email or text messaging we can send almost any information we want back and forth in seconds at very little or no cost. All these other systems were derived out of necessity!

No wonder Canada Post is going down the tubes. Think about it; you give customers less than state of the art service, charge them more than they need to pay, and tell them they can like it or lump it? Instead they should have been on the leading edge of delivering these services. Oh but wait the union wouldn't go for that, it might take mailmen (persons) off the streets and force them to work in offices developing software or doing customer support. Can't have that!!!!

Sorry but that is the way of the world, if I don't like what you are offering, I will find an alternative.

About the only thing that gets delivered to my mail box anymore is junk mail (oh wait, Canada Post delivers that) so should they be called mailmen or junkmen?

BTW, no disrespect is ment to any Canada Post employees, you have a job, and you do it, Kudos to you! i know several and they are all good people.

I do have one more question though; who voted in the union in the first place and why?

Could it have been for more money, benefits, a nice retirement package? Could it have been greed?

It is a long time in coming but I think that your union has just priced you out of a job or will in the near future!

Canada Post IS MAKING MONEY,LOTS of money and has for the last 12 years.

I haven't read from the pages before, forgive me....

BUT, I do find myself in a situation where I need the Canada Post right now. I just broke one of my baitcasters and I actually found out what part was broken....And now I was hoping I'd get the piece asap...Ain't happening anymore. :(

Too bad Paul reads the board, you just blew your "mailman" cover... ;)

Hahahahaha, truthfully, funny story. Lowerunit has been delivering my mail at work for many years, but we didn't realize we were both on OFC until last week. He said to me "You fish right?" and I said "Yes, how did you know?" and he said "You look so familiar, you are on OFC right?" and of course the conversation continued on from there.

The power of OFC and its a small world :thumbsup_anim:

Doesn't affect me at all. Pay all bills online.

From what I have read, they want to create two ranks of workers, with big changes for new hires in particular. As far as I can see it is largely due to the 17% reduction in mail delivered since 2006 (Got this figure from some newspaper).

I have an opinion on unions etc, but I'll leave it alone.

Personally, I work for a company that has this policy in place. Unfortunately I am one of the later hires. It SUCKS to work beside someone doing the same job you are and know they make more money, but seems to be the way of the job market now :wallbash: