It's been wayyy too long

danc

For the first time since I can remember, I never caught a Brook Trout last year. My job had taken over my life and never afforded me the time to get out fishing. In fact, last year was the first time I never went fishing on the May long weekend in about 40 years. Brook Trout fishing has always been a passion in my life, so this was a big deal to me. This weekend I got back on track. My good friend Colin and I spent Saturday chasing Brookies and Sunday on a Lake Superior trib after Steelhead. Both days were awesome.

My first Brook Trout in a year and a half was a nice one. A 21" rather girthy male, with suprisingly nice colors for this time of year, was well worth waiting for. What a thrill it was to catch this guy.

may111.jpg

And it was just as thrilling to watch him swim away.

may112.jpg

Things slowed down for a couple of hours after that. Colin had a decent Brookie right up to the boat, but it spit the barbless hook at boatside. A couple of small Pike was all we had managed to catch for a while. I was beginning to think that it was going to be one of those days when the Brookies seem to completely disapear from the waters. Finally, this little guy gave us encouragement. It turned out to be our smallest Brook Trout of the weekend.

may113.jpg

Soon after we moved to another area. Spiel might remember this place. We watched it burn from the boat a few years ago.

may1120.jpg

Today it was far from burning though. Quite the opposite in fact, as there was still a few pockets of ice around.

may114.jpg

We went fishless for another half hour or so, until something amazing happened. Colin turned into a Brook Trout catching machine, landing 7 of them in about 45 minutes. I was delegated as net boy and camera guy. Here's what I got in that incredible time frame.

may118.jpg

may115.jpg

may1119.jpg

may1122.jpg

may1110.jpg

may1111.jpg

may1121.jpg

I took a few slow shutter speed shots just for fun and I really like how they came out.

may116.jpg

may117.jpg

Water temperature is the most important info that my fish finder gives me when fishing Brook Trout. We found temps from as low as 37F to as high as 52F. I was thrown off today though. I would have expeted to find them in the warmest water, but did best in the low 40'sF range. The 5' depth is common for us. 4 to 7 feet is about perfect.

may1112.jpg

After Colins marathon, I managed a few more as well.

may1113.jpg

It really was an awesome day!!

Today we hit a Superior trib for Steelhead. We got 5 I think. Nothing really big but it was fun.

may1115.jpg

may1116.jpg

Torpedo release of a little guy.

may1117.jpg

We kept one each for the barbeque.

may1118.jpg

This guy said good bye to us as we were leaving.

may1114.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend as well.

What a great report, Dan. Glad you finally got back out. Such a great piece of water you have up there. I often wonder how many specs fall prey to the pike population in there. Try to get out there more.

Say hi to Colin...I feel like I know him from having seen him in so many past reports. :)

Great post. It is what I've been waiting for all winter. I know your passion. Catching Brookies like that is like great sex...dry spells followed by some action, then wondering what happened as your buddy gets lots (7), as you watch. Well, maybe that's a bit far to stretch the analogy. I'll bet Colin rubbed it in a bit that he got 7 in a row. Appreciated the photo work, especially the closeups and creative shutter speeds. I flew over the area last week and took some photos from the air (check PM) and noticed the water levels down about 3 ft. How were the reefs? Great to hear you are back in the game after last fall's disaster. Look forward to more reports and photos.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet dan! glad to see a report from you! i only make it into those parts every few years and live vicariously through reports like these in the meantime. i'm hoping i can make it up there sometime in early July!

Holy hot damn!

Not sure how I missed this Dan, okay I am, it went up when I was without internet for three days.

I'm glad I went back a few pages and found it, nice, very nice indeed.

I'm happy to see you back in your element and of course I remember the fire, crazy stuff that was. *choke, cough, cough*

Oh and tell Colin to take the factory label off his rod handle, very tacky..... tongue.gif

Holy hot damn!

Not sure how I missed this Dan, okay I am, it went up when I was without internet for three days.

Oh and tell Colin to take the factory label off his rod handle, very tacky..... tongue.gif

Never said anything to Colin, but I was thinking the same thing all weekend. He catches fish so who am I to argue??

How did you survive without internet for 3 days? I noticed you missing and here I thought that you were out fishing or something.

This was a fun report to put together. Glad you all enjoyed it. Thanks for the comments guys.

My next report will be a Brook Trout fishing trip with me and Phaneuf. I put a contest together and Dion was the winner of a fishing trip with me. Second place prize was two fishing trips with me. :whistling: