TomTom GPS

Woodsman

And you thought they were for your navigation needs.

What you may not have known is TomTom also tracks your information and in turn sells it to the world wide governments & police. Although it can help in determining infrastructure needs it is also being used to determine where to set-up speed traps & police photo cameras. :angry:

You buy the unit to assist you in your personal navigation needs & they track your usage & sell the info. :devil:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/795417

Edited by Woodsman

must have been worse than the Irish potato famine.

Hey... my great great great grandfather had no trouble finding the gulf of St. Lawrence. Unfortunately he drowned poling a barge across Rice Lake, before ever seeing his settlement plot. Lucky the oldest boy was 16..

Edited by irishfield

Hey... my great great great grandfather had no trouble finding the gulf of St. Lawrence. Unfortunately he drowned poling a barge across Rice Lake, before ever seeing his settlement plot. Lucky the oldest boy was 16..

That's sad, makes it across the big pond to get swept up by a little puddle.

Ya that's quite possible. I remember, oh, I might have been around 6 or 7, we would visit Dads friend on the north side of the lake. Freddys fear was hitting the old pilings, some would float free every year after ice out. There's quite a few people that don't believe that there was a railroad track right across Rice Lake.

I've got a Tom Tom and am not worried about this one bit. I've never linked it to me or my house. It gets used more by people borrowing it. Yes it may track information, but I can't see how they can confirm that it was actually you doing the deed?

Tom Tom is the greatest. I am a service repair plumber and use the tom tom all day long. We also have tom tom for our guests who visit they can drive were ever they want and when they are good and lost they push the home button and it gives them the route home. The tom tom also makes it so you can read the street signs before you get so close to the turn. Darn old age :unsure:

Art

Why not just hook up a ticket machine to every car that automatically gives you tickets for every infraction you make. Why bother with police and police cars. That is so old school. Imagine the revenue generation. Every missed signal, speed, cell phone use, cutting people off, running a red, rolled through stop sign....

Just like Demolition Man

No Tom Tom in my car but I do have a Garmin. :D

I really don't think it's all that big of a deal as long as they don't sell personal info.

Wouldn't where you go, when you go places, the route you took and how fast your were going be considered personal information?

Wouldn't where you go, when you go places, the route you took and how fast your were going be considered personal information?

Not if it's not connected to me (ie anonymous info).

Who cares if they know someone drove down Yonge St. on Saturday afternoon a exactly 2:43 pm.

As long as they don't say that Drifter_016 drove down Yonge St. on Saturday afternoon at 2:43 pm at 110 kmh and here's the proof and his address and phone number.

If they only take the data as a whole ie. (on this date this many people drove down Yonge St. during this time). This kind of info can be used to create traffic flow reports which in turn can be used to help manage traffic. I don't think they should be selling speed info but artery traffic should be of no consequence to anybody. It's no different than putting those rubber hose traffic counters on the roads to monitor traffic densities and flow.