Small truck rear suspension question

What is the cheapest/easiest way to strengthen the rear suspension so it doesn't sag under load? I'd also like to see a 0.5 to 1inch lift. I'm not a truck guru but I have a good basic knowledge. I would not do the job myself because I don't have a garage or the proper tools.

2010 Mazda B4000 (read Ford Ranger)

Larger leafs?

Bigger shocks?

other options?

Thx

Edited by Rod Caster

The ride will get much worse with no load

Good call Dan. With no load,yer going to bounce all over the road. Like having yer tires blown up to the max. Been there. I read max pressure,ok lets do it. Talk about crazy ride when you hit the smallist of pot holes/rail tracks. :blink:

Good call Dan. With no load,yer going to bounce all over the road. Like having yer tires blown up to the max. Been there. I read max pressure,ok lets do it. Talk about crazy ride when you hit the smallist of pot holes/rail tracks. blink.gif

my truck is bouncy already, sometimes I hope the wheels will catch again.

I'm not talking about very large loads, maybe 500-2000lbs. The rangers/Bseries are famous for the "sag" even under light loads and I figured I could get a good comprimise between comfort and capacity with a small adjustment.

Skeeter: that's a good idea, that way I can get them to dial it in just right for me since leaf springs come in many varieties.... it's probably the cheapest option too. Now to find out if North Bay has a spring shop blink.gif

Edited by Rod Caster

Bigger shocks do zilch.. unless they are air shocks. That may be an option so you can run them normal for a decent empty ride and then pump them up a tad more for days you're carrying a load.

I'll look into this option too... although I'm a bit skeptical about long term quality, especially with generic (read low cost) brands.

Go to a spring shop and ask them to re-arch your leaf springs and add an extra leaf.

Tell them exactly what you want and they will do it.

Why would he want re-arch?

Just ask them to add a spring,or just ask them to put a new pack full spring for what you wnat. Were talking small truck here. Something to take in concideration aswell here,can your motor handle the towing?

Air shocks are for the late 70 early 80 cool factor.How high can you rise yer assend.LOL

Edited by Misfish

Why would he want re-arch?

Just ask them to add a spring,or just ask them to put a new pack full spring for what you wnat. Were talking small truck here. Something to take in concideration aswell here,can your motor handle the towing?

smile.gif oh ya no problems with the motor. That 4.0L loves to work.

smile.gif oh ya no problems with the motor. That 4.0L loves to work.

4.2 6 cyl here ,full size F150 manual. Hell, yer half the size.Care to drag.LOL

Look at spring upgrade package. Shocks absorb,springs support the load.

Air shocks are for the late 70 early 80 cool factor.How high can you rise yer assend.LOL

They were actually first brought out for Cadillacs to haul RV trailers. I had them on the Bee so you couldn't tell there were 6 people in the trunk going into the drive in !! :o

add-a-leaf will work. poke around on the ranger/mazda sites, you can propably get what you need from the junkyard if you're on a budget. ie. s10 leafs work on cherokees.

4.2 6 cyl here ,full size F150 manual. Hell, yer half the size.Care to drag.LOL

Look at spring upgrade package. Shocks absorb,springs support the load.

You'd win, my traction control stops me from having any fun wallbash.gif

I added a set of air bags on my Honda Pilot and they work great!!!

The truck handles and corners way better than without and I can get rid of the suspension sag when towing. They were not expensive for my application either.

They were under $100 US and delivery was $11 (special deal) from JC Whitney in the States.

Installation was more involved on my vehicle than it will be on yours (the pilot has IFS and coil springs) but still only took about 4 hours even with the extra time it took to run the air lines into the vehicle (I put the valve inside the jack compartment)

I went the extra leaf route with my 2000 ford ranger - worked wonders for the sag problem. I had the local spring shop set me up - they told me they're doing all the time on the rangers for exactly that reason - eliminate the sag. And frankly I don't notice a big difference in the ride. I would recommend this definitely

Edited by Rob V

I went the extra leaf route with my 2000 ford ranger - worked wonders for the sag problem. I had the local spring shop set me up - they told me they're doing all the time on the rangers for exactly that reason - eliminate the sag. And frankly I don't notice a big difference in the ride. I would recommend this definitely

:canadian::worthy::worthy:

You can get longer shackels, but over time they will just let your leafs sag even more. I would look at getting a leaf added (shot or long, up to you depending on your preferences), as well as a .5" or 1" lift shackle.

add-a-Leaf for the load, shackle for the lift. They work great in combination.

Edited by bdox

An extra leaf will cost you about 40$ each plus hardware at H.E Browns go see Rolly in the spring shop.

I'd also get a TIMBREN kit... I used to sell about 4 kits a week and they work wonders...see Rick @ Benson.. tell him I sent ya.

They only work under load and will NOT sacrifice ride quality

usually run about 139.00$/set.

Your part 1998-2007 Ranger # FRR0504A

timbren8.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

my truck is bouncy already, sometimes I hope the wheels will catch again.

I'm not talking about very large loads, maybe 500-2000lbs. The rangers/Bseries are famous for the "sag" even under light loads and I figured I could get a good comprimise between comfort and capacity with a small adjustment.

Just looked at my friends Ranger, max cargo capacity is 1230lbs including passengers, subtract just the driver and a coffee and I wouldn't go past 1000lbs.

An extra leaf will cost you about 40$ each plus hardware at H.E Browns go see Rolly in the spring shop.

I'd also get a TIMBREN kit... I used to sell about 4 kits a week and they work wonders...see Rick @ Benson.. tell him I sent ya.

They only work under load and will NOT sacrifice ride quality

usually run about 139.00$/set.

Your part 1998-2007 Ranger # FRR0504A

Randy

:canadian:

:worthy:There's no knowledge like local knowledge. Thanks Randy!

Rob V

I was hoping a Ranger-head would shime in! After all the advice, I think I'll go with the extra leaf, but I'm not eliminating the air bag (timbren) option.

It's official, you guys are awesome. In a few simple words I've gotten more info than I would have driving around town for a whole weekend.