If you are thinking of hitting Sturgeon Lake for Crappie this weekend.

Big Cliff

Man has the bite been slow the last few days, I was out last night, 4 boats I don't think I saw more than 4 crappie landed all evening and all were under 11". I think the bite is over already. I am starting to wonder if it is sun light rather than water temp that affects the spawn.

Guest gbfisher

They don't spawn until June Cliff. They will be back to the places you caught them at during that time. Everyone else will be out targetting Green Carp :D and the toothy fish.

Edited by gbfisher

Ya sure Cliff, keepin them all to yourself eh :whistling::lol:

Awe Swetheart, you know me if the bite was good I would pm all my friends LOL.

They don't spawn until June Cliff. They will be back to the places you caught them at during that time. Everyone else will be out targetting Green Carp :D and the toothy fish.

Thing is, last week they were hammering them in the same place, it has gone dowm hill from then.

Cliff you're about a month early.

Fishing really gets good around the May long weekend. ;)

Last year it was Easter weekend then it slowed down. Only thibng that is consistant is the amount of sun light. Temp is way below last year and the bite was on about a week ago, same time as last year.

We are just hitting our peak on the crappie right now in Virginia Cliff so you are still prespawn right now.

Art

You could be right! I hope you are!

Hey BIG Cliff - I just noticed your signature and had a good laugh.

Anyway - I don't think it is the sunlight inasmuch as the heat from the same. I haven't been getting anything unless the temp has been in the double digits for a couple of days and hadn't been getting real cold overnight.

Man has the bite been slow the last few days, I was out last night, 4 boats I don't think I saw more than 4 crappie landed all evening and all were under 11". I think the bite is over already. I am starting to wonder if it is sun light rather than water temp that affects the spawn.

Every one of the crappie I caught the other night were full of eggs, so the spawn has definitely not happened yet.

__

Crappies spawn late guys. Crappies spawn with the bass. Water temp is into the 60's. This spring panfish action is all pre spawn. They chase schools of baitfish into the small backbays, and trap them in a small area where they can pick them off easy. That is why you really have to work an area over good to get them sometimes. I've seen it where if you don't cast into a 6ft circle, you get nothing, but if you get it in that spot, you get one every cast. they school up into tight packs, and trap minnows in a small area so they can pick them off easy.

The problem at your spot is fishing pressure Cliff. Those fish are getting pounded day in and day out, and everyone keeps thier limits. It drives me nuts. The same guys, day after day after day, taking home limits and then some. Ignorant, greedy fisherman. Pisses me off to no end.

S.

Crappies spawn late guys. Crappies spawn with the bass. Water temp is into the 60's. This spring panfish action is all pre spawn. They chase schools of baitfish into the small backbays, and trap them in a small area where they can pick them off easy. That is why you really have to work an area over good to get them sometimes. I've seen it where if you don't cast into a 6ft circle, you get nothing, but if you get it in that spot, you get one every cast. they school up into tight packs, and trap minnows in a small area so they can pick them off easy.

You nailed it right there! Took the words out of my mouth.

Cliff, there are a few areas I know on your pond that I bet are rocking right now. If you have the ablilty to travel a little bit, fire me a PM.

Northern shorelines(most sun soaked), dark bottoms, protected from wind, and wood(marinas, docks, timber etc.) are killer prespawn crappie locales.

Phil

Edited by Harrison

I'm on one of the other kawartha lakes and tried off the dock the other night and didn't have a bite. Went down last night after that 10 minute storm blew through and they were absolutley going crazy, oos bass included. They definitely change with the weather and from day to day until the temps stablize. It didn't matter what I threw at them either. Depth is 2-3'. Just gotta try every chance you get!!!!

The problem at your spot is fishing pressure Cliff. Those fish are getting pounded day in and day out, and everyone keeps thier limits. It drives me nuts. The same guys, day after day after day, taking home limits and then some. Ignorant, greedy fisherman. Pisses me off to no end.

S.

Sorry but lots of us in the Kawarthas do not want that species of fish ( invasive ) in our lakes to eat Pic. fry. Catch and keep all of them you want I say , along with those nasty pike.

Whether they are invasive or not is irrelevant now. They are here, and they aren't going anywhere.

There is a limit on them that anglers are supposed to follow, so they should be following them. The season is open all year, so there is plenty of opportunity to get a meal of them, anytime you want.

These same people who keep over limits of crappies, are also keeping over limits, and under/over slot walleyes, don't forget. They are also ignorant to other fisherman, and property owners, like yourself.

I'll send them all up to your area, to fish off the duck blinds.....sound good?? :whistling::wallbash:

Edit: have you noticed a decrease in walleye since crappies got in your lake?? I sure haven't, but I have noticed a HUGE increase in fishing pressure, and poachers!!

S.

Edited by Sinker

Whether they are invasive or not is irrelevant now. They are here, and they aren't going anywhere.

There is a limit on them that anglers are supposed to follow, so they should be following them. The season is open all year, so there is plenty of opportunity to get a meal of them, anytime you want.

These same people who keep over limits of crappies, are also keeping over limits, and under/over slot walleyes, don't forget. They are also ignorant to other fisherman, and property owners, like yourself.

I'll send them all up to your area, to fish off the duck blinds.....sound good?? :whistling::wallbash:

Edit: have you noticed a decrease in walleye since crappies got in your lake?? I sure haven't, but I have noticed a HUGE increase in fishing pressure, and poachers!!

S.

What no mention of the pike? When I say keep all you want ,I really mean legaly of course.

I have absolutly no issue with guys keeping thier legal limits. I'll be the first guy to admit to being a meat hunter, but I do it legally and adhere to the limits set out.

I haven't caught a pike in the kawartha's yet, but I know they are making thier way down the chain. I will kill every one I catch just for you :thumbsup_anim:

S.

There was just a big article on all the early season Crappie habits in Ontario Out Of Doors magazine. I'd suggest locating a copy and giving it a good read - I'm no crappie fisherman and it helped me understand things a fair amount. I'll be on Scugog for May 24 and I'll have no choice but to fish for crappie at that point (and naturally hit a few creeks for the usual suspects).

Sinker has hit the nail on the head with his numerous above posts on how the crappies behave and time slots for their spawning activity....

Fishermccann, crappies are no threat to your beloved walleyes...but what is a threat is the yellow perch since they invade the shallows in HUGE numbers right after the walleyes spawn....nothing much you can do about them either....and most of them in the Kawarthas aren't big enough to bother with while the crappies make a fantastic fish fry. Treasure having a good crappie fishery this year and when ever you can as their population will fluxuate from year to year....the next few years could be downer years.

BTW....Cliff, if the crappie population is good in your lake, then you just hit a bad day of fishing....shallow fish are the most sensitive fish when it comes to cold fronts, etc....

Bob