Where do you buy your tires?

cwpowell

Hey all, I am looking for some new tires for my car. I am on a budget so i'm looking for a cheap place or online place. Tirerack.com has awesome prices. and my cousin said there was a place in buffalo that has super cheap prices on tires but can't remember the name.

Bottom line I'm a broke student and I can't spend a huge amount on tires. Tirerack.com has great prices but the shipping kills you. about 150 to ship to hamilton.

if you're buying used tires make sure that they arent old and cracked. the last four digits of the DOT number stamped in the side of them is the week/year of manufacture. buying some "almost new" tires for half the price doesnt save you money if they're all cracked and dry rotted in 6 months and you have to do it all over again. 5yrs is right around when they say tires should be replaced.

Tirecraft in Stoney Creek for used tires

If buying new, Costco hands down... free flat repair, nitrogen filled, free rotation AND balancing for the life of the tires...

costco might be a bit more $$, but the lifetime rotation and balancing is what makes them shine...

most other places only do lifetime rotation, if you want them to last, you need them balanced also!!

Although Kijii and craigslist have some good prices, there is no warranty or other benefits that buying new can offer. Also, if they aren't already mounted on rims you're looking at that to add onto the total bill + balancing+ possible alignment and on and on. Not saying its a bad idea. I'd be lying if I told you that I haven't looked into it, been checking CL daily, in fact.

do you need them Urgent?

if not, check this out

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jc-whitney-promo-codes-all-season-tires-200-less-than-gta-997627/

The store is called JCwhitney, you can easily find 15% codes (you could also wait for 20% off codes), the beauty about them is, their shipping charge is very reasonable, and they will include ALL Customs/Duties/Taxes, no need to worry about border taxes..

I got my winter tires (General Altimax Arctics) and summer tires (Yokohama S drives) from them and have nothing but great service. Prices are at least $200 cheaper than buying in Canada.

Got some tire at walmart Niagara falls Buffalo, I quibbled at first about the price being a bit high, manager by chance heard it and gave me another $10 off each tire, got my uniroyal(cheaper version of Michelin Tire)For $60 each. All tax, installation and balance and disposal fee inclusive, rated for 100,000 MILES. Call ahead and shop around, there are at least 5 tire store at the buffalo outlet alone and very competitive. Balancing($5) and installation($10) are cheaper at walmart USA. Sears USA might also sell good deal tires. If they have them in stock, they will normally be willing to sell them for less price. Walmart is 24 hours, if you get there before 8am, the tire department is hardly busy.

Walmart USA lifetime free tire rotation for $15 more paid upfront, if you buy all tires from them.

Walmart Canada has some good deals when on sale tire. Got them for $80 each 205-70-15. All inclusive. Rated 100,000km. Nexun from Korea, has good review on-line, I had it on my van that I used the car to tow my boat with, still very good after 1 year of usage in the front of the car.

Sometimes, I buy used tires locally, lucky enough and got 4 used Michelin tire at kijiji from a fellow who tow car for a living, he salvage the good tire after the damaged car, from prior accident, was thrown away. I paid $15 each, still has 85% thread left on them, tire still has the small tiny ribbed on the sidewall. His number is 4166338068. Not all size are available, timing is everything.

Be careful of buying used tire, half of them are not good, make sure to inspect for potential nail hole, avoid tire being too old based on the year manufactured (it is wrapped in circle such as 0420-as 2004 20th month). Many used tire dealer charge around $30 or more, and might sell you a tire that is 50% thread left. Avoid it, it will last you for only 1 year. Sine 25% of the existing thread is not good anymore during winter months.

There are other new cheap tires sold in Canada rated for 75,000km, sold for $45, they are crappy and will only last for 1 year if place in front of your car.

Check possible size to be used, google info on tire size conversion chart, you can use one size up or one size down. It will widen your possible choice. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Edited by bassfighter

2nd Time Around. Not sure if they have a location in your area but they have some smoking deals. I picked up 4 Pirelli's for my Aurora for under $650 out the door. Everywhere else wanted $700+taxes and up and that was for off brands. Worth checking out.

My son got a good deal on tires last fall at a tire shop in Burlington, Forget the name and he isn't home. Might have been Total Tire :dunno: Some brand I never heard of before but they were great winter tires and cheap. I would put my money into new cheap tires before putting it into used tires unless they are just like new.

KIJIJI !!!!!!!!!!!

Bought 2 complete sets off there for both my mini vans.

Winter tires and rims

General Altimax Arctic for mine $150.oo and

Goodyear Nordic for the wifes van.$200.oo

All 8 tires had 11/32 tread.

This is the second season for them and they still look brand new. :thumbsup_anim:

Be careful of buying used tire, half of them are not good, make sure to inspect for potential nail hole, avoid tire being too old based on the year manufactured (it is wrapped in circle such as 0420-as 2004 20th month).

Did you mean 20th week? If not, than what is the 20th month of 2004?