Cabela's Announces Third Canadian Store

Where... beside where they're going to move Wonderland to? :sarcasm:

Also rumour the Cabelas van was seen at the old Barrie Race Track property back in the fall...

Are you for serious about a Cabela's van at the race track or are you just yankin my chain?

Still cheaper to order from the states. clapping.gif

Maybe not Tybo!

Yesterday, I received the new CANADA version catalogue, instead of the U.S. one I normally receive and order from.

I thought the prices seemed higher in the Canada catalogue vs. what I recall seeing online on Cabelas.com or in the U.S. Catalogue so I thought I would do a quick comparison and last night I did a shopping test between the 2 cabelas.ca and cabelas.com websites.

I picked a random bunch of stuff, that both websites carried and had in stock in order to get a fair comparison.

Here are the items I selected, with standard ground for shipping.

Shimano Stradic 2500 FI spinning reel

20lb Sufix 832

Cabelas No-Vis15lb flourocarbon

F9 Rapala

Here is the cost breakdown...

U.S. Cabelas.com Pricing:

cabelascom.jpg

Merchandise Total: CAD 201.05

Shipping and Handling Charges: CAD 20.01 Taxes & Duty: CAD 40.54 Fees (Broker): CAD 3.51

Amount Due: CAD $265.11

Payment must be made in US Dollars - Amount Due in USD: $264.33

CANADA Cabelas.ca Pricing:

cabelasca.jpg

Merchandise Total: CAD 211.46 Shipping and Handling Charges: CAD 18.95

HST 13%: CAD 29.95

Amount Due: CAD $260.36

Basically, in this case, the Cabelas.ca site is cheaper by almost $5.

There are a couple things to note though. There are sales on the cabelas.com website that aren't currently being offered on the .ca site. The selection is better on Cabelas.com...this could change over time but today there are more items available on the .com website. Also, when you spend over $300 on an order from cabelas.com the shipping cost is fixed at $19.95 but brokerage and duty costs will rise with the order. My advise is to spend the time entering the order on the .ca site after you have your cart ready to checkout on the .com site to be sure. It could save you some money.

Hope this helps!

Tony

Cabelas has always impressed me as a outfit that caters to the hunting/outfitting crowd a little more so than fishermen, possibly they view the western provinces as a little less hostile social enviroment to set up shop in.

The store here in Winnipeg, is OK, sure theres a pretty good selection of lots of stuff, and its 1 of 2 stores selling guns in town. My business goes 95% to a local shop Pro Am, tough to beat customer service from a guy that knows whats happening. I'm a believer in supporting stores that work to take care of their customers. Cabelas instore service in Wpg has been less than stellar, though my experiences with the cabelas.com have been excellent.

They recently, added an in store bargin cave which has some excellent deals....still its not like the US stores.

I would love a cabelas in the GTA. After visiting a store in Kansas I found it to be superior to basspro and I have used the website for orders. I also find the cabelas brand stuff to be good value for the money.

Cabelas has always impressed me as a outfit that caters to the hunting/outfitting crowd a little more so than fishermen, possibly they view the western provinces as a little less hostile social enviroment to set up shop in.

I typically don't agree...I have a boat and garage full of fishing equipment mostly purchased from Cabela's per mail order because they have good prices and the BEST customer service in the business. I will say they cater to the hunter better than BPS does without doubt.

And about hostile social environment I find the complete opposite true, generally speaking. People are much more friendly and I always feel safer when I'm in a rural setting compared to say NYC.

What I have heard is Cabela's like to set up stores where they have LOTS of room and require 40 acres when possible...this may be the reason you don't see them connected to malls like BPS often are.

There were rumors a few years ago Cabela's was going to build a store in NYS on the very western end of the NYS Thruway around the Ripley, NY area.....very rural but it never materialized and I pray it never does.

seems the are stepping across the country starting from the west....next will be ontario then quebec then probably one for the maritimes....dont forget in store sales is only a portion of the sales that they do...with the locations they are selecting they are making it more convenient to distribute through the mail...why walk around in a store if you have a cataloge at your door.

this is a perk to having the ALL MIGHTY CANADIAN DOLLAR...thats right ....i said it !!!.. experts project 1.09 by the end of 2012

Edited by Twocoda

The three out west are good market testers. Barrie does make very good sense with all the new development at Park Place I figured the announcement was coming soon. Now with the development proposed at Duckworth and 400 there are 2 spots in Barrie that would work. Both with 400 access that would keep the traffic flow in place.

Looks like housing is going there now.

The old race track would be a great place.Easy on/off ramp access for the 400.just like BPS..

I also said before,why are there Ford trucks driving around with Cabelas logo on them?

Edited by Misfish

Looks like housing is going there now.

The old race track would be a great place.Easy on/off ramp access for the 400.just like BPS..

I also said before,why are there Ford trucks driving around with Cabelas logo on them?

Quick someone slap a Cabelas sticker on Brians truck otherwise we're going to have some big alligator tears pretty soon. :tease: Honestly, Id love to see a Cabelas around Barrie, old racetrack, maybe down Mapleview east, but not around Molson Park, that's a driving nuthouse at the best of times. Imagine how much more I could spend there without having to pay for a lot of gas.

Tonyb, I have been noticing that US price have only be a couple of bucks difference.

Stuff I order state side is on sale.Mostly cloths and electronics.

On the most part shop at LB's. Drive past BP to get to work. Stop only to buy line.

When Bass Pro is having a sale,LB's is still cheaper. :Gonefishing:

you know Bradford is 10 mins down the road from Barrie...less traffic

I could sell my house and move into a trailer in their parking lot...be the first customer each morning ...:whistling:

We now know the reason they are not coming to southern Ontario. :thumbsup_anim:

Misfish,

My friend Al who is a Ford nut told me that Ford carries a limited edition "Cabelas" version of their F-150 truck, just like they have a Harley Davidson version. It is done up nicely inside and out and I heard it also has a gun rack!

Edited by Fisherpete

Misfish,

My friend Al who is a Ford nut told me that Ford carries a limited edition "Cabelas" version of their F-150 truck, just like they have a Harley Davidson version. It is done up nicely inside and out and I heard it also has a gun rack!

saw one a week ago

I typically don't agree...I have a boat and garage full of fishing equipment mostly purchased from Cabela's per mail order because they have good prices and the BEST customer service in the business. I will say they cater to the hunter better than BPS does without doubt.

And about hostile social environment I find the complete opposite true, generally speaking. People are much more friendly and I always feel safer when I'm in a rural setting compared to say NYC.

I used to order a lot of hunting stuff from the Cabelas catalogue, also an outfit called Gander Mountain, BPS couldn't compare to the selection and quality of those two firms. The hostile environment was mainly about the perception of firearms/hunting in the greater Toronto area. I recall 40 years ago, picking up my first varmint rifle, a Remington .22-250 at "Hallams" which was then on Yonge St. between Bloor and College, packed it in a soft case and got on the subway back to the carpark, try that today and you'd have a dozen cruisers and a swat team on you in seconds :wallbash:

I used to order a lot of hunting stuff from the Cabelas catalogue, also an outfit called Gander Mountain, BPS couldn't compare to the selection and quality of those two firms. The hostile environment was mainly about the perception of firearms/hunting in the greater Toronto area. I recall 40 years ago, picking up my first varmint rifle, a Remington .22-250 at "Hallams" which was then on Yonge St. between Bloor and College, packed it in a soft case and got on the subway back to the carpark, try that today and you'd have a dozen cruisers and a swat team on you in seconds :wallbash:

I use to order stuff from Gander Mountain then the catalogs just stopped coming....now they built a brick & mortar store near me and everyone refers to it as "Expensive Mountain" here....we have no Cabela's or BPS and probably never will....I'm MUCH better off without a Cabela's having a store in NYS because EVERYTHING I purchase from them is tax FREE (my favorite four letter word)... :)

SWEET varmint rifle that .22-250 Rem is.....pushing 4k fps turns them woodchucks inside out before they have a chance to drop. :worthy:

Edited by Billy Bob

• 1 year later...

Heard there was a giant mall going in at Simcoe and Winchester, north Oshawa...comparable to Vaughan Mills. What are the odds Cabelas comes east for this spot? With the 407 extension and the Kawarthas, it makes sense. Can anybody share some insight?

Heard there was a giant mall going in at Simcoe and Winchester, north Oshawa...comparable to Vaughan Mills. What are the odds Cabelas comes east for this spot? With the 407 extension and the Kawarthas, it makes sense. Can anybody share some insight?

If they do that I know I'll end up devorced and broke...

If we can get together 10 million, open our own distributing company to supply our retail, we can compete and be 100% Canadian. Any takers? :D

Have the model to gear it fully toward the Canadian angler / hunter.

Edited by Harrison

The Edmonton store makes sense, from a populous point of view, and I guess Saskatoon itself services maybe 400,000 people or so. I'm surprised they're opening there as well. Their studies must have indicated that everyone in town hunts and fishes! :canadian:

I haven't been inside a Cabela's store but would LOVE to have another good store in the GTA.