Cabela's Announces Third Canadian Store

4 minutes from my house at the old racetrack at Essa rd in Barrie is where it needs to be. THis is not from a business standpoint but from a convenience standpoint for me. haha

Please no.. That Essa/Ardagh/400/BB Point intersection is bad enough as it is, lol!

Put it in the south end off Mapleview, lots of space down there :)

I’m heading out to the east coast tomorrow for our annual homecoming pilgrimage. We usually drive through the states, saves on gas, better highways and have friends in the Boston area to visit. The highlight of the trip for me is the stop we make at the Cabela’s in Portland, Maine. It is an absolutely beautiful store. It’s the only Cabela’s I’ve been in and is way nicer than any of the BPS I’ve been to in the states. None of the BPS I’ve been into have compared to the BPS in Toronto though.

Ya it's not just population numbers that make a store want to open a new outlet. The entire province of Saskatchewan has just over a million people. You don't need to draw too big of a circle around the gta to get as many people.

The thing is, that out of that 1 million + people, the majority of them engage in hunting, fishing, camping etc. Also, Saskatoon is a major staging point for the North Saskatchewan fly in Lodges and sees a lot of traffic headed north. Add to this the booming economy of Saskatchewan and it's not hard to see why Cabela's chose Saskatoon for their second store. Plus the only serious competion in town was Wholesale Sports.

I was in the Saskatoon store at Preston Crossing on a Wednesday afternoon last month and it was packed.

Edited by Old Man

That would make no sense. Easy access from the hwy is what they want. I heard that,said site,is to have construction starting in the fall. :dunno:

It makes perfect sense. Get off at Mapleview or Innisfil beach road a quick trip down Sideroad 5 (Veterans) and you are there. New turning lanes for the NB 400 on Mapleview thanks to the completed construction, so much better then Essa Rd.. That intersection is horrible already, even with nothing special going on, it takes 10 mins to get from Ardagh to BB Point road most days anytime after 4pm. Whatever civil engineer designed that needs to be fired, lol.

It makes perfect sense. Get off at Mapleview or Innisfil beach road a quick trip down Sideroad 5 (Veterans) and you are there. New turning lanes for the NB 400 on Mapleview thanks to the completed construction, so much better then Essa Rd.. That intersection is horrible already, even with nothing special going on, it takes 10 mins to get from Ardagh to BB Point road most days anytime after 4pm. Whatever civil engineer designed that needs to be fired, lol.

You can bet,if they do come here,at that local,the traffic will improve.Bigger wider ramps and roads.

Hey Bill what do you think of this.

It changes throughout the day but About 1/6 of the traffic on essa rd coming down the hill and turning left off Ardagh goes straight through and continues down Essa rd, 1/6 turns south on the 400 (much more in the morning), about 1/3 turns onto 400 ramp North and about 1/3 goes straight until Fairview and turns up Fairview (turns into BBP rd). How about an over or underpass that joins Little to Ardagh. THey line up almost perfectly and 1/3 of the traffic that wants to get to BBP would either go straight through on Ardagh or turn right if they are coming down Ardagh before they get to the next 2 sets of lights and hwy entrances which is the trouble spot

It changes throughout the day but About 1/6 of the traffic on essa rd coming down the hill and turning left off Ardagh goes straight through and continues down Essa rd, 1/6 turns south on the 400 (much more in the morning), about 1/3 turns onto 400 ramp North and about 1/3 goes straight until Fairview and turns up Fairview (turns into BBP rd). How about an over or underpass that joins Little to Ardagh. THey line up almost perfectly and 1/3 of the traffic that wants to get to BBP would either go straight through on Ardagh or turn right if they are coming down Ardagh before they get to the next 2 sets of lights and hwy entrances which is the trouble spot

Barrie is going to be putting a bridge/under pass, from the bottom of Harvey to Fairview. That will eliminate a lot of traffic.

Ardagh to BB Point a straight shot over (or under) the highway would be perfect. It would get rid of that 3rd light (At Essa/BB Point) which is pretty much the cause of all the backups anyhow.. Tt's wishful thinking though, lol!

Edited by BillM

Barrie is going to be putting a bridge/under pass, from the bottom of Harvey to Fairview. That will eliminate a lot of traffic.

I heard that. My friend wont be too happy as he lives just off Harvie rd at the hwy end. Currently very very quiet. THat would change

I heard that. My friend wont be too happy as he lives just off Harvie rd at the hwy end. Currently very very quiet. THat would change

Well,it,s change.No one likes change.LOL The new power poles are in place already.When it does happen Chris,I,ll be biking to work, NO HILLS.LOL

Edited by Misfish

Well,it,s change.No one likes change.LOL The new power poles are in place already.When it does happen Chris,I,ll be biking to work, NO HILLS.LOL

Yeah I saw that. I also saw that a guy on Harvie at the end there with a nice piece of property now has it up for sale.

This thread should get back on topic now. Sorry

Exciting in general but no way no how does it make financial sense to open a huge store in the prairies.

I don't care how many fishermen use the area as a jump off point for fly ins. No way does that compete with the enormous market in the GTA.

Anyhow, I've been on a whole bunch of fly ins over the years and have always been packed and prepared beforehand. I couldn't envision ever buying anything of substance enroute.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

(Or just sour grapes on my part. :lol: )

Fishing is only part of the business hunting is huge out there and people also have lots of cash out there take a look at any parking lot in Alberta plently of 1-2 year old 4X4 desel 3/4 tone

Dan

Fishing is only part of the business hunting is huge out there and people also have lots of cash out there take a look at any parking lot in Alberta plently of 1-2 year old 4X4 desel 3/4 tone

Dan

It really is true. I think many people living in the GTA would be astounded by the kind of cash being spent in Alberta and Saskatchewan these days. Walking through the Calgary or Edmonton Sortsmen's Shows is an incredible experience. I saw one boat dealer at the Calgary show this year with 32 ski boats in their booth, and more than half of them were priced north of $100,000. They told me sales were "great" - to the point their biggest problem was just getting enough inventory.

The walleye boats are also on a whole other level. We're talking all top-line Rangers, Tritons, Lunds and Starcrafts ... probably the majority selling in the $50,000 range, some over $70,000. Some guy gets into fishing, goes out to buy his first boat, and takes home a $60,000 Stratos with a 225 on the back. I won't even go into the crazy amount of money being spent on electronics and tackle. It's just mind-blowing.

So yeah, I can see Cabela's focusing on that part of the country for now. The GTA has a huge population, but the money is being spent in western Canada - not here.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I wouldn't be too excited about cabela's opening in ON, if it's anything like the Edmonton store it's a let down IMO....but hopefully competition produces competive pricing locally

BPS (calgary and vaughan) has cabelas beat by a landslide in terms of the store cosmetics and selection, even on prices (cabelas edmonton was selling st. croix ice sticks for 36.99....19.99 everywhere else!!!)

I think everybody who is questioning why expand into the prairie provinces are missing a few points, ON is a hard market, there's BPS, Sail, Lebaron plus hard to find prime real estate

economy is booming out west, everybody makes 80-100k ++ on the rigs, mining, logging, etc

I think some people might only be considering fishing sales, but I'd guess that hunting is the top generator at cabelas.......hunting trumps fishing out west, guys spend much more on hunting than they do on fishing, fishing is just a hobby and hunting is a way of life....plus there is MAJOR travel from the US into the prairies to hunt, on top of residents

try buying a jetboat in AB/BC..50K starting and as mentioned, the hardest part is finding inventory

Edited by bare foot wader

I wouldn't be too excited about cabela's opening in ON, if it's anything like the Edmonton store it's a let down IMO....

I think some people might only be considering fishing sales, but I'd guess that hunting is the top generator at cabelas.......hunting trumps fishing out west, guys spend much more on hunting than they do on fishing, fishing is just a hobby and hunting is a way of life....plus there is MAJOR travel from the US into the prairies to hunt, on top of residents

If Cabela's in Canada is like it is in the U.S.A. then I wouldn't worry about the inventory that a local Cabela's has.....you can go online or call them and order ANYTHING they have and Cabela's will ship it to your local store where you can pick it up at zero shipping cost to you.....you can't beat that with a Ugly Stick.... :thumbsup_anim:

I have been in 3 different Cabela's throughout the country and I still prefer shopping online. We don't have a local Cabela's and I hope we never get one in NYS....right now I get FREE shipping on anything and I NEVER have to pay sales tax because Cabela's doesn't have a store in NYS.

And as far as hunting being bigger up in the Canadian prairies.....well actually hunting makes more money for any store that sells both....I never thought that was true, but it is.....guys spend a lot of money on hunting......for example......you can up to a fly/drive/boat camp and fish there for lets say $1000 per man per week.....go to that exact same camp to hunt and it will be closer to $4000 per man per week....OUCH...that is one reason I have never gone on any of these hunting trips....been on many fishing trips but never for hunting....all my hunting has been local....but I am going on a snow geese trip in PA come Feb.

Like I said......shop online and have your local Cabela's store ship it in for FREE....my favorite four letter word... :worthy:

And as far as hunting being bigger up in the Canadian prairies.....well actually hunting makes more money for any store that sells both....I never thought that was true, but it is.....guys spend a lot of money on hunting......for example......you can up to a fly/drive/boat camp and fish there for lets say $1000 per man per week.....go to that exact same camp to hunt and it will be closer to $4000 per man per week....OUCH...that is one reason I have never gone on any of these hunting trips....been on many fishing trips but never for hunting....all my hunting has been local....but I am going on a snow geese trip in PA come Feb.

Guys do spend a LOT of money on hunting. But it's a short season, especially in the west, where fishing is year-round. Over a 12-month span, I don't think there's that much of gap any more between what anglers spend and what hunters do. Of course, I could be wrong ....

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Guys do spend a LOT of money on hunting. But it's a short season, especially in the west, where fishing is year-round. Over a 12-month span, I don't think there's that much of gap any more between what anglers spend and what hunters do. Of course, I could be wrong ....

I have a brother who has lived in Ft. McMurray since '73. With the outdoors-friendly attitude, he took our family's sport (shooting) to a whole new level. He carries a huge inventory of firearms. Those guys out their love their toys, as you mentioned, Craig, and for the guys who live near a range, the target-oriented shooters have a pretty long season.