Over Pricing At Tim Hortons!!

skeeter

----- Original Message -----

Subject: FW: Overpricing at Tim Horton's

Interesting!

All you coffee lovers, here's a bit of news for you to check out and pass

along to others

Does this happen at ALL locations?.....I wonder...

Let's see how many of us are actually being charged 23.5% tax without even noticing!

To whom it may concern:

I would like to bring attention to the fact that I'm constantly being overcharged at almost all Tim Horton's

locations, no matter what I purchase on the menu. It seems that either the tax rate is being set way too high or the

cashiers are always pressing the wrong buttons on the cash register. Take my purchase today in Stoney Creek for

example:

I purchased a breakfast wrap combo priced at $3.89. I didn't do any substitutions at all, I simply ordered the combo

with a medium sized coffee as pictured on the sign. The cashier took my order and stated that my total came to $4.80.

This didn't make much sense to me, so I did a quick calculation and noticed that I was charged 23.5% tax! I brought

this to the cashier's attention and she agreed that I was charged way too much and refunded me the different in change

(since I had already paid with debit). It's also important to note that at this point, the cashier explained to me

that this seems to happen quite often, where the total price does not match the listed price of the item plus HST.

A second example of this happening to me: I went to Tim Horton's in Oakville last week (head office to be specific)

and bought a single cookie priced at $0.89. My total came to $1.10. $0.21 tax for an $0.89 order. This is again

consistent with the 23.5% tax amount given in the example above. This time I actually did pay the extra amount

though, because I was in a hurry and left without thinking about what the total price should have been.

I know for certain that this has happened in the past as well, as I quite often visit Tim Horton's for lunch and many

times the total seems to be quite a bit higher than it should, but I have always let it slide because I'm either in a

hurry or don't want to argue with the cashier. From now on though, I'm going to be more vigilant about checking my

total and making sure that I'm not charged 23.5% tax. I will also be forwarding this email on to many of my friends,

as I'm sure they are also being burned by this without knowing. I would highly recommend you have someone look into

this as soon as possible, because as much as I love Tim Horton's, I'd have no problem taking my business elsewhere if

I have to go through the annoying processing of re-calculating my total each and every time and arguing with every

cashier out there.

GST-taxable before July 1, 2010 PST-taxable before July 1,2010 Is there a change to the amount of tax payable under the HST?

Basic Groceries (e.g., Dairy, Meat, Vegetables, Canned Goods) No GST No PST No HST

Snack Foods (e.g., Chips, Pop) 5% 8% No (remains 13%)

Qualifying Prepared Food and Beverages Sold for $4.00 or Less 5% No PST No (remains 5%)

Restaurant Meals for More than $4.00 5% 8% No (remains 13%)

Alcoholic Beverages 5% 10-12% HST 13%[1]

According to the Ontario Government website..

Prepared food and beverages sold under $4 is supposed to be only 5%.. over $4 charged at 13%

Switch to Macdonald's coffee. Better coffee by far IMHO and you get a muffin for 21 cents. There coffee used to be junk...and I mean JUNK...but it is way better now. There damn cups are garbage and almost alway leak though...so you have been warned. My standard order on the way home from fishing now. Any other time I make my own at home. A 925g tin comes on sale for $5 and change and last a whole month for us!!!

But back to the OP post...I have never sat down and did the math. But being in a hurry I have often thought that Timmies was getting my prices wrong when it was wrung in. If I still went there ever I would be more vigilant about it. Thx for the heads up :good:

Here's a crazy idea, instead of getting up Sunday morning and firing up the SUV to drive 2 blocks to the local Tims, make a coffee at home for 1/10th the price!!! :sarcasm:

This is a good idea, but first thing in the morning my math skills are bad....just as soon let their cash register figure out the tax I owe... :blink: ...although I think I'll be asking for a receipt from now on.....

Tim's coffee is garbage and their food is even worse.

Many will disagree with you Matt cause every Timmies I see has cars lined up around the block for the drive-thru.

And for what it's worth, I'll take a large with double cream & an apple fritter....thank ya very much !!!! :lol::lol:

If you're going to be a Timiot you'll undoubtedly pay in more ways than one.

Their food is so over-processed and gross. I'm tired of paying almost $2 for a tea. I've started making my own at home as saves me waiting in a drive through nevermind how much gas is wasted every day in these lines!

If you're going to be a Timiot you'll undoubtedly pay in more ways than one.

I have to agree with Muskymatt.

A big monopoly that has taken out the majority of options to get a good cup of java at a local coffee shop.

I will not shop at Tim Hortons and have not for two years now, we have a Coffee Time right at the corner and their

coffee and food is by far better than Tim Hortons.

Tim's coffee and food is absolute crap...

IMHO of course...

SS

Isnt that the new donut tax they have been talking aboutdunno.gif The federal Gov is supposed to use it the reduce the deficit, one Boston Cream at a time.whistling.gif

HOW do you think they can afford to give away coffee and donuts to the men in BLUE ? ? ? Now you know.... :D:whistling:

Here, Timmies discounts their coffee if you bring your own coffee mug...something like 6 cents less...but then I found out through the senior I drive around once a week that they also give a discount of another 10 cents if you order a senior coffee.... :clapping:

BTW they make GREAT coffee....donuts...not so much......and are easily the busiest coffee shop during rush hour here.

Many will disagree with you Matt cause every Timmies I see has cars lined up around the block for the drive-thru.

And for what it's worth, I'll take a large with double cream & an apple fritter....thank ya very much !!!! :lol::lol:

The lineups are definitly testament to that Lew, which (line ups) are another of my reasons to bugger about tim's...nothing worse that having to put down my cup of home brew to negotiate around the line ups which extend out on the busy street, rush hour traffic at 7am....should be a law abgainst that.

But their apple fritters are delicious..can't argue there.

I've got my own issue with Tim's, since they're drive thru line up starts at my Condo's driveway....constantly blocked. I roll out of my condo with my horn blasting and big smile on my face, it's kind of fun to watch the addicts get out of the way.

Coffee is pretty goodat tim's but a second cup or twiggs coffee shop is much better.

The tea pricing is ridiculous...when they came out with steeped tea (how else is tea made?) it gave them an excuse to charge way too much. I'll never pay 1.50 for a tea at tim's.

I am one of the few Timmies dislikers. Always used debit and didn't carry cash. After a long day of fishing i would want a coffee for the drive home. Pull into Timmies of highway and find out it is cash only no debit. With all the money they make selling frozen donuts and other crap items they were still too cheap to have debit. :wallbash:

Apparently that is changing a bit now.